“Nice hotel for golf and spa” 4 of 5 stars

Vale Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Hensol Park, Hensol CF72 8JY, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hensol
N London
“Nice hotel for golf and spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We went to the hotel for a two night break over Easter, a group of 8. The guys were very complimentary of both course played. The room we were allocated was delightful, on the second floor, spacious, very quiet and with a lovely balcony overlooking the course. The hotel itself is rather impersonal and corporate with a decided lack of lounges/ bars. The restaurant is functional, and lacks atmosphere. The food was ok, but nothing special. The second night we eat in the club restaurant, which again lacked atmosphere. However, the carvery was plentiful and very, very tasty. The ladies visited the pool and spa. The pool and sauna facilities were very nice, although a little crowded, but being Easter weekend this was to be expected. The spa was beautiful - however we only found the relaxation room upon our exit and I think it would be better if guests were shown around the spa when they are greeted, as there are some lovely areas to chill out in. The treatments had a half an hour wait in between, which wasn't a problem but a little weird. We have visited many spas in the UK, and this is the first time that this has happened. I would have preferred it if the treatments had been consecutive. Also, no freebie samples - come on the Vale spa, you can do better! A special mention for Richard on reception who was very helpful, and even printed off directions to a local shopping area - thank you! The resort is in a beautiful location, and very convenient for the M4. I would recommend one of the walks around the course, taking in Hensol Castle, very pretty.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the course are lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business. My room was large, clean and had a very comfy bed. The downside was that the room faced the car park and there was some early morning noise from comings and goings, both cars and delivery trucks. Having stayed before I will in future always ask for a room facing the golf course as this is much quieter and the view is better. We ate in the restaurant. The food was well presented and well cooked. The chef was happy to personalise a dish that we requested which was not on the menu. Breakfast was good with a typical hotel selection of breakfast items. Minor irritations related to the service in the bar opposite reception which was slow and a couple of times we had to go searching for staff as it was unattended. On checking out I had been overcharged, but this was quickly rectified when I pointed the error out to the staff who were very apologetic.
Overall I enjoyed staying at the Vale again, staff are friendly and I consider it to be good value for money.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Swansea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

My friends and I go away once each year together instead of buying birthday/Christmas gifts. This year we chose The Vale. My review is a tale of 2 halves as there mas a marked difference between the Spa and the Hotel itself.

We booked a package with Spa Treatments for the Friday, and then bed and breakfast in the hotel. I called before to book additional treatments and I was aske the name of each person and told we would be given treatment times on arrival, this was a little unusual as we usually book times ahead so we can plan meal times but hey ho.

On arrival we were very impressed with the overall look of the Spa, it was like walking into a Department store with a variety of health and beauty products on display and staff all professionally dressed. We were greeted and each given forms to fill in and we asked about treatment times, this is where it started to go down hill!

It took about 20 minutes for them to allocate the correct treatments to the right person - frustrating when I had sorted this a week before over the phone! In addition, those of us who were having additional treatments had 30 min breaks in between instead of having the treatments back to back as we had always experienced in other Spa's.

The facilities themselves were OK, great relaxation areas and heated water beds spoiled a bit by the too loud cheesy Spa music. The pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room were standard hotel after thoughts, a few loungers were dotted around but it was far from relaxing with swimming lessons and workmen drilling putting up signs!

We were told - bluntly with no apology- that the lunch would be a light lunch not a Buffet as we were initially advised. we then had a choice of salads or sandwiches and made our selections in advance.

We had lovely packs given to us with robes and slippers in a little plastic duffle bag, ideal for putting wet things into later - it was looking up!

But, then when it came to having the treatments, there was further diassapointment as another mix up with names meant my initial choice of Aromatherpy massage wasn't available unless I swapped times - this meant my friend would have to have her pedicure early so she wouldn't be able to use the pool etc all afternoon, this wasn't viable so I had to have a Sweedish massage - which was Okay, as was the facial, but I was asked no questions about my skin type or offered advice afterwards.

Lunch - this turned out to be a salad of cold chicken or salmon with sad brown lettuce, they had clearly been prepared well in advance with minimal skill. Coffees and cake took so long to arrive we were tempted to make them ourselves.

We tried to make the most of the day and overlook the issues - but they were mounting up. On settling up we asked could we keep the robe and slippers on to go to the hotel, this wasn't possible, then they couldn't find out the cost of the wine we had for 10 minutes so we had to wait whilst they ran about trying to find out.

Eventually we managed to sort and pay for everything and make our way to the hotel. On checking in I asked the lovely girl at reception to check our dinner booking as I had asked the Spa staff to reserve a table when I arrived at 9.30 am, guess what? No reservation had been made. This was the last straw, we told the receptionist about our issues and she asked if we wanted to complain to the Manager. We did, he apologised on behalf of the Spa Manager and give us complimentary wine with dinner and said he would pass on our concerns to the Spa Manager the next day - that was 3 weeks ago and I have still not been contacted.

The remainder of our stay in the hotel was excellent, including one of the best 3 course dinner's I have enjoyed in some time, and I would recommend the hotel whole heartedly but certainly not the Spa. I would in fact recommend the Manager of the Spa visits some others such as The Towers Hotel in Swansea which may be less grand but delivers one of the most relaxing and enjoyable Spa experiences in the country - he may then be able to train his staff to do something similar.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
a_rees, General Manager at Vale Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Bowen.Collins

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, all feedback is greatful and helps use improve the experience for our customers.
The new Spa and Leisure Manager has been past your review and will find this information valuable in helping progress the standards and to prevent this happening again. He has replied to you directly.

Tunbridge Wells, kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

My daughter and I stay for a spa break at the vale hotel. Lots of parking, the grounds are beautifully kept. The hotels looks over the golf course.The rooms smell lovely and clean i thought perhaps the rooms need updating but still very nice a good size we had a Balcony over looking the golf course. Lindsey on reception was so helpful such a warm welcome. We spent a Few hours in the spa which was so brilliant so relaxing again the staff very nice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
a_rees, Manager at Vale Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Tazbun

Thank you for taking the time to give a review on your recent stay. With regard to comment on the rooms needing updating, I am pleased to be able to tell you we have recently embarked on a refurbishment of all bedrooms and bathrooms.

I’m pleased both you and your daughter enjoyed a relaxing Spa Break at the Vale and trust we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Glasgow, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

the room was good - large, on the ground floor, French windows, and a good sized bed. Car park very busy, ate in the bar, typical pub grub, but service very slow, breakfast pretty average. Not somewhere I would choose to stay but obviously popular, not sure why.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Malky

Thank you for your review, I’m sorry that we did not quite meet with your expectations on this occasion. You are quite right in stating the Vale is very popular and I do hope in the near future you may be able to take the time for a relaxing break to enjoy all the facilities of the Vale Resort and find out why for yourself!

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We arrived at the Vale before the check in time and our room was ready for us. Great service to start our night away in Cardiff. We got to our room which was clean and tidy although the room looks worn down and could do with a lick of paint! The first suprise was a toilet that had not been flushed from the previous occupants so I was greeted with urine and pubic hair. Not pleasent. We decided then to head to the bar area for a glass of wine to begin our night away. There was not ONE clean table, we had to move all the dirty glasses and dishes from our table for us to sit and have room to put our wine glasses. After this we headed to the pool area to relax for the afternnon, an hour there was enough. The changing room floor was filthy swimming in water and dirt and the toilets there were equally as bad. I would not recommend to walk bare foot!! We did not stay in the pool for long so we headed back for a shower. Then there was no hairdryer available, I had to ring for someone to bring one to me which took over half an hour (we had a taxi booked to take us to Cardiff Bay as restaurant was fully booked) so we were in a rush not expecting not to find a hairdryer there!! 4*!!!! Then the shower was cold and it was freezing no sign of it warming up so we had baths which took even longer. All in all I was very disappointed with this hotel and would not visit there again.

Dear Jodie F

I was obviously disturbed to read your review and would like to offer my sincere apologies we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. It does sound as if you visited the leisure facilities at very busy time and I am sorry if you were inconvenienced.

If you would like to contact me directly I would be pleased to discuss the issues you have raised personally. Please call reception on 01443667800 and ask for myself.

Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Our room was very spacious andhad a good sized balcony overlooking the golf course. Very peaceful setting. The food in the evening was very good, with plenty of choice. Breakfast was very good as well. We used the spa and leisure facilities and were very impressed. An excellent way to destress. Staff were friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back again!!

Dear Sunshine0681

Thank you for posting a great review. I’m pleased you had a relaxing stay and we would of course be delighted to welcome you back to the Vale Resort soon.

Hotel Manager

Been to Vale Resort? Share your experiences!