“Atmospheric” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dornoch, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Atmospheric”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

A big thank you to the staff at the Bannockburn Inn. The atmosphere here is competely fantastic. Friendly, relaxed and great community spirit. I always look forward to coming up to Helmsdale to visit friends and meet some lovely locals. Thank you for all the memories, A Big FAT A+ for this small buisness! :D

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
mymumruth, Owner at Bannockburn Inn, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for your review - we always try to be helpful and courteous it's great to know it's appreciated.

Helmsdale, United Kingdom
“Best food by far”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

A nice clean friendly place, you are made to feel very welcome. The steaks are from the castle of mey and melt in your mouth. The banter in the bar with the locals is the best everyone is so friendly and just up for the crack. Overall I would highly recommend you visit this lovely little pub by far the best place in the village.

Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
“A Big disappointment!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

stayed at a local B&B and decided to have a late lunch here around 1:30pm, decided on a steak for me and chicken for my friend. My steak was so tough (and I have it medium rare) I had to send it back and the 2nd one wasnt much better. My friend said her chicken was a bit tasteless and when she cut into it she found it was still pink inside so left it. Veg was sogged and cooked to death and the chips cold. we told the waitress we were not happy but nothing happened, so we left still quite hungry and very disappointed. Would give this place a miss.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Well, ladies and gentlemen, above you have a classic “malicious & fabricated” review of my restaurant from person or persons who have never frequented my restaurant. They have reviewed an imaginary chicken and vegetable meal that does not exist on my menu and insulted the best steaks in the Highlands that are endorsed by The Prince Charles; Duke of Rothesay. None have ever been returned to my kitchen. A review aimed solely to try to destroy my reputation. To justify their imaginary visit to my restaurant they also wrote a fake review of a local B&B where they pretended to stay in December, even though it was closed for the winter – the B&B in question have since had that review by “Christine D” removed.
I would like you all to watch this space as, should I find out the culprit I will post a picture and name to go with it, on my own website. It will probably appear under “Friends of the Bannockburn Inn” so you can all see the person wishing to do my business harm and be aware that if you are in the catering business in this area you may be their next victim. Perhaps I should await their next imaginary review telling you all I get all my meat direct from the stable courtesy of Shergar!
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Great place to visit. Thank you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We visited the Bannockburn Inn quite by accident as we had been driving for several hours and needed a coffee break. After pulling in to their car park, we were surprised by the difference between the public bar and the lounge bar so we stayed for a late lunch. The owners were perfect hosts and to break our journey we then decided to stay in Helmsdale for the night and the lady in the Bannockburn found us a lovely B&B on the harbour. We came back for dinner that night and met lots of locals and really enjoyed our impromptu stay, this is to say thank you to the Bannockburn and all the locals we met and we will be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
mymumruth, Owner at Bannockburn Inn, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thankyou for your review. I was very pleased to help you and we are glad that you enjoyed your unplanned stay in our village. You will always be welcome.
banff
“Always a welcoming haven on the A9 with steaks to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I often travel up and down the A9 when we use the Scrabster ferry to visit our daughter in the Orkneys and the Bannockburn Inn is now always our favourite place to stop for lunch. Their steaks are to die for and the service is always really hospitable and friendly. We starting using it more than a year ago and although the outside looks quite plain, when you get inside its obvious the landlady has spent a lot of effort making their restaurant area really warm and friendly. The first time we went there my husband wasn't sure what he wanted and they recommended the steak. They cooked it exactly as he wanted it - he is very picky about this and I never seem to get it quite right at home, but I suppose I am using supermarket meat whereas the Bannockburn obviously somehow manage to get hold of the very best quality meat and really know how to prepare it. He said it practically melted in his mouth. Anyway - we were back there again a couple of days ago and he said the steak was as good as he had it before. I enjoyed the salmon which was absolutely delicious. We will definitely be back again on our next trip.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jean, your comments about our meals and service are very kind, thankyou for your feedback. We are proud of our steaks - and indeed all our meals - and its great to know that you have made us a regular stop on your trips to and from the ferry. Reading comments like yours cheers me up in the middle of winter! I look forward to seeing you and your husband again when you next get the chance to pop in.