“Much better than expected.” 5 of 5 stars

Horsley Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ockham Road South, East Horsley KT24 6DU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in East Horsley
London, United Kingdom
“Much better than expected.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

After seeing so many negative reviews , we were not expecting much. To our delight the staff were exceptionally friendly and welcoming. We had a great weekend beautiful surroundings, we were luckily enough to stay in the towers part of the hotel. The food was adequate in the evening and the breakfast was very good, we will defiantly be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Horsley Park, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Jill C
Thank you for your recent review - a pleasure to read.

468 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I too got this deal for 20 pounds, amazing deal. I would have been very happy with what I got had I had to pay full price for a room for two people. After my recent stay away in Newbury, I was astonished at what I got for my money here!! The "venues" is in a very affluent district with beautiful scenery and opportunities to visit Guildford and lovely National Trust properties nearby. I went to Polesden Lacey before arrival, very pretty and on Sundays has Jazz in the gradens.
I struggled to find the Hotel to begin with, not realising that its entry was through a Gothic flint clad gateway....very stylish! And the whole approach was the same.
Lovely immediate welcome on the intercom at the barrier...it was all going so well....and just continued to do so throughout my stay.
I hadnt known about the "Towers" so was very pleased (and remained so even after wandering round the towers) to be in the modern, bright and airy conference centre Hotel. Staff were all immaculately tailored and endlessly polite, friendly and helpful, from the Manager, restaurant staff and even the cleaners.
I do like a bath so when given a room with a shower, I returned to ask at reception....no question..absolutely fine and double the bargain as I ended up with a room at the front overlooking the fields. Nice spacious room, all needs catered for. The only negative I can make is a bit of mould around the shower glass/bath edge, but its a big hotel and that along with the entrance and stairway carpet will always get stained. Everything else was immaculate.

Having discovered the Towers, I had a wander myself and discovered the cloisters and chapel amongst other things...some amazing architecture. I was later given a bit of a tour by the I think, duty Manager. The reception staff seem genuinely pleased to show people round. I chatted briefly to a young couple who had married in the towers last year and had returned to celebrate by staying there again. I was shown a couple of rooms, which were very nice and tastefully old fashioned, but these days, I prefer modern. The bar and patio at the Towers building are like a gentlemans club atmosphere, nice and calming.
The grounds are immaculate and there is a nice pond between reception and the restaurant.
Breakfast, for which I paid a very reasonable extra price, was one of the best displays I have seen in a hotel, beautifully laid out and tended. Again the staff, excellent here.
And an area to the side of the restaurant for help yourself coffee and tea, biscuits and jelly babies!!!
It was too hot to use the pool for me so I didnt explore that area.
I would suggest if you stay there for a relaxing quiet break, check if there is a large function taking place as there are regular wedding parties. My Sunday night, late start Monday morning was absolutely perfect!!!
I would recommend a visit to Shere village also, the Ice Cream parlour there does the best Chocolate ice cream outside of Parliament Square in Rome!

Room Tip: If you prefer a bath, ask. I am sure they will accommodate you if it is available.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Gail
Fantastic, thorough review - great to read. Thank you & please visit again.
coventry
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here as we got one of the room for £20 in the De Vere Hotel sales. It was quite clear form looking at the website that you had to pay slightly more for one of the rooms in the traditional towers so I’m really not sure why on earth people would think they were staying there for such a relatively small cost (even if they didn't get the room in the sale it's only about £60ish).

We stayed in one of the rooms in the new centre on the first floor and found this to be a very reasonable (if not overly large) room that was clean and comfortable.

It’s located in a really nice little village and the pub down the road does serve nice dinners and have a lively atmosphere so would recommend here – just 5 minutes walk.

We also went to Denbies Vineyard down the road which I would say is definitely worth a visit – get a bottle of the surrey gold and have a few glasses while wandering the grounds; they’re very pretty and picturesque!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear karensak
Many thanks for your recent review - hope the trip to Denbies was fun.
Regards,
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I find some of the negative comments for this hotel hard to reconcile with my own experience. This is the second time we have used it for a weekend conference - admittedly both at this time of year so heating not a problem. We stayed in the Court - modern rooms in new courtyard type building. The rooms are very comfortable - although both this year and last year I found the cleaning could have been more thorough - e.g. slightly manky plughole in basin, dead mosquito squashed on door had been there a while!! Kettle etc in rooms, and really super comfortable bed. Admittedly the sound proofing is poor between two floors - the guests above me came back in early hours of morning and seemed to spend a long time stomping around before getting to bed. The food is excellent particularly the buffet style, catering for all tastes. The gala dinner on sat. night in the main old house looking onto expansive lawns was good without being exceptional. Those who used the pool said they had it to themselves - luck involved here I suspect. And the grounds are really lovely.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms in the Court will be quieter than those below - but have regard for the sleepers belo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Eleanor
Thank you for your recent review - as I am always at pains to point out, we are first and foremost a conference centre so I was delighted to read your review.
Best Regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The pool is nice but shared with childrens swimming lessons, sauna is big enough for two people and over heated (in the red on the guage) and noise is unbearable! I stayed in room 20 which is across a tile floored reception foyer so ended up being woken up by people walking across the reception, the receptionists themselves shouting to each other, the gateway buzzer and even typing on their keyboard throughout the night. I really believe I would have slept better in a bus shelter! I spoke to the receptionist about this whilst checking out and was told that she already knew about the noise from reception as she had previously stayed in a room 5 doors further away! Why are they still putting people in these noisy sleepless rooms?

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sarahmearns
Thank you for your recent review. I do apologise if you were unable to sleep - that's a pretty basic requirement and we need to resolve the issue.
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Don't be deceived - this hotel is awful.

Having recently suffered a family bereavement we booked into the De Vere at East Horsley simply to get away for a night, and try to relax, how wrong we were.

The web page shows views of a fabulous old building and accommodation. In fact what is are not told is that your room is housed in a very impersonal red brick building, reminiscent of a university hostel.

In reception there were groups of youths, with presumably 'supervisors'. The noise they were making was deafening. He 'supervisors' made no attempt to ask them to be quiet or respectful.

On arrival in our room, the first thing we noticed was a framed mirror, over six feet tall, leaning against the wall, not fixed, and a blatant hazard, especially as I use walking aids to move around.

There was a full length window, ground floor, and these youths were running past this one window, screaming and telling at each other,so we had to pull the blind down, and sit in the dark! And still out up with the racket they were making. This was compounded by the fact that the floor we were on, also housed these youths in a whole corridor of rooms. They, being youths were slamming doors, yelling at each other....dreadful.

We ventured along to view the restaurant menu....Menu? Two choices only, both seemingly aimed at the junk food market, southern fried chicken or a burger!

Tea and coffee requisites were absent, we asked for more, but the cups were filthy and no spoons or stirrers. Bathroom, musty and unclean.

After two hours of noise, door slamming, and frankly an appalling menu, we approached reception, told them our concerns and decided to leave and drive home instead. They did condescend not to charge us for our two hour stay which is the only reason for one star given in this review. You would be better off staying in the pub up the road, who at least had a decent menu, if nothing else.

Please do not be taken in by the website images. It is nothing like it, and certainly this hotel doesn't deserve any stars at all. I'm minded to have Trading Standards look at their website, then go and stay there and see if they think this is blatant deceit, designed to lure unsuspecting customers in.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Horsley Park, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear LoriB
Thank you for your recent review of Horsley Park.
I am sorry that the venue did not match your expectation and that you were quite clearly disturbed by the groups we entertained this weekend. I will certainly pick up with the music college to discuss whether the supervision they provided was adequate.
I am also sorry that your expectation of a country house hotel was not matched. As I have pointed out on several prior reviews and is indicated in the opening paragraph of our website, the accommodation at Horsley is quite mixed between traditional and contemporatry.
I will ask for all the mirrors to be checked as indeed they should all be attached to the wall.
Thank you once again and please accept my apologies for what appears to be a wasted trip.
Kind Regards
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have visited this hotel for corporate training programme. If not business, would not come back. Heating in the rooms is switched off automatically @10pm. i called reception several nights in the row asking to fix it and no one came. Finally I got cold and could not sleep well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Michael M, General Manager at Horsley Park, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Aleksevna
Thank you for your recent review - I apologise for the 'terrible service' you received, it's generally not a complaint i hear much about Horsley Park. Heating is indeed controlled centrally (particularly in the summer months) but is certainly not switched off as you suggest.
Regards,

Been to Horsley Park? Share your experiences!