“My favourite place !” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
somerset
“My favourite place !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Shame on you Amandajane of Dorset, The Square and Compass has not had a cat for at least five years!
This pub is a favourite of ours - it has everything going for it. The staff are always friendly, the beer is always excellent and the food devine. What more could you wish for , maybe somewhere to stay ? Yes, they even cater for that with lovely fresh rooms which are very spacious and delightful and a fantastic breakfast served in the morning. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Poole, Dorset.UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I read the one bad review before I booked and was naturally wary but all my fears vanished on arrival. I'm inclined to agree with Chris the owners comment that this is a deliberate act by a rival as my experience here could not have been bettered and there wasn't a Cat to be seen! Friendly reception, superb meal (more than I could eat) comfortable and roomy with great walk in open bathroom/shower area. I couldn't fault it and will definately stay again.

Room Tip: My room (no2) had a huge bed and although there was Rock music in the outlying venue I heard absolu...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Ilminster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Myself my wife and two friends recently visited the Square and Compass for a meal. We all had something different of the menu and each meal was superb.
All the staff were very polite and helpful, and the atmosphere was very relaxing.

We would all deffinately visit again

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Ilminster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I recently came here for a meal for a relatives birthday, and must say it was a very enjoyable experience! The food was of an excellent quality, and I would say very good value for money! All of the staff were friendly and polite, it was busy and clearly popular in the local area. I will definitely be returning and would recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I stayed overnight with my partner and our small boy , we ate in the restaurant and all had a really enjoyable meal with excellent service. Our room was very spacious and clean with a massive bed and didn't really need an extra bed for the small boy which Janet kindly insisted on. The table and chairs were very useful also for him as was the television. I managed to really relax during my short stay making great use of the evenings entertainment and great food with kind and polite staff. By far the nicest stay away for a long time with a lovely long lie in. I look forward to returning, thank you .

Room Tip: The end room is usefull if you have children as there is a lovely grassed area just outside the door...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
dorset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Arrived to a friendly welcome and there were no problems with check in.
The room was spacious, the bed very comfortable and the bathroom contained all one would expect. Efforts have clearly been made to offer guests comfort and, in the main, they succeed.
We had dinner which was ok, not quite what we asked for but well cooked.The problem came when we walked into the bar for breakfast. The smell of cat pee was horrendous. Noticed an odd smell when we went to dinner but where the doors were open and the pub busy it was not 100% clear what the smell was. It was certainly confirmed at breakfast.
We moved to a table further away from the direct smell but it was pervading the room to a point where I could not eat. My husband did and said the food was perfectly adequate.
We could not wait to leave and did so immediately he finished eating.
I don't know if this is a regular thing or if their cat was poorly but no explanation was offered. Perhaps this is situation normal for the bar of The Square & Compass. Such a shame if that is the case.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
janetslow, Owner at Square & Compass Inn, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
We do not like trip advisor. We do not give our permission to be on it. Someone who has stayed at our hotel and used our free broadband access has put us on it!

It is very easy to write a malicious review, for example, a competitor or someone who has asked for a discount on a room or a meal and not been given it.

We have asked to be removed from the site.

We are a family owned business and have no resources to fight this bullying behaviour.
Llanelli
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I ate an evening meal here while staying at Somerset B&B just down the road.
I never enjoy eating on my own but I had a corner table here which as the tables have panelling behind, made it the perfect little corner to sit and hide away while I enjoyed my meal.
I ordered a mushroom stroganoff which was very rich and simply enormous and far too much for me. The fillet steak also looked delicious.
Excellent value at just over £10 for my meal and drink, very friendly staff and clearly very popular with locals which is always a good sign.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Square & Compass Inn? Share your experiences!