“RETURN TO HEAVEN” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Agriturismo La Selvella

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Radicofani
Agriturismo La Selvella
Strada Provinciale 478 km. 29,500, 53040 Radicofani, Italy   |
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“RETURN TO HEAVEN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at Selvella 3 years ago and returned there this October. It was as wonderful as we remembered and we were welcomed by Marina and Guiseppe, Elisa and the dogs -Ida and Lella as though we were family. We were travelling by train so Marina collected us from the station and returned us there at the end of our stay. Our apartment was delightful with a view over the surrounding countryside. We helped pick olives, walked the hills, trips were arranged for us (with transport) and a surprise birthday party. The food was wonderful- all freshly prepared and locally sourced and often meat was roasted over the open fire in the dining room. Guiseppe's chestnuts in red wine were a highlight after dinner many evenings as were his wooden puzzles! La Selvella is an experience of Tuscany not to be missed.

Room Tip: Tell Marina what you are looking for when you book. All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Sadly, I did not have the wonderful experience at La Selvella that so many others did. In fact, I would urge anyone reading these reviews and considering a stay at La Selvella to reconsider!!! Please do not tarnish your Tuscany experience as I did, especially at the end of the trip. Please note that I have left other reviews for other places I stayed that are very complimentary, so I am not on some vendetta. Additionally, I am not a high maintenance traveller - my husband and I are bicycle tourists - we tour countries on our bicycles and recently completed a trip from Munich to Rome. We are not needy, demanding, loud, or dirty - we have a taste for adventure, culture, and good food. We chose La Selvella based on the reviews and the desire to find a place in Tuscany that was less touristy. I contacted Marina, who replied with a choice of a smaller room for 140 euro or a larger room for 150 euro for the two nights. She also mentioned a lot of lovely classes and fun things to do at her agriturismo, which sounded great so we confirmed. I mentioned to her that we were cycling from Siena (~80km) that day and were hoping to arrive early afternoon, but it's hard to predict with bicycles, considering all the hills in Tuscany. No response.

Our first mistake was following the map provided on Marina's website rather than her written directions. The map took us in a different direction, down down down a mountain, so much so that when we finally realized something was amiss, we had to go back up up up that mountain and then up some more to reach La Selvella. As anyone who has ridden a loaded bicycle knows, this is no easy feat and definitely added a whole hour to our ride. That said, we arrived at 6pm and Marina was out grocery shopping, I believe. We had no issue waiting for her return. We enjoyed the comfortable patio until we saw her car pull in the drive. It was at that instant that everything plummeted downhill. Marina saw us waiting and did not hurry to greet us. When she finally pulled the car to the kitchen area, she got out, walked over to us and said, "You reserved by email, right? This is your room. I didn't know when you were arriving. Dinner is on the patio. Put your bicycles over there (next to the rubbish bins) I have to go because I have fresh things in the car." And that was it. In fact, we had no idea whether she was the proprietor or an assistant. She did not introduce herself at all. The tone of her voice was unpleasant and accusatory - we sat on the bed in our room wondering if we had done something wrong and were even afraid to ask what time dinner was since we had no idea. We felt terrible and had no idea why. I don't think ANYONE has the right to make their guests feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. It was a horrible way to start our stay. :(

I will say that dinner was delicious. We were given a wine menu (priced extra from half board).

The next morning at breakfast we saw other couples get served the customary cakes and croissants (as we did too) as well as yogurt and cereals. We waited for some time before finally getting up from the table to ask for yogurt and cereal as well. At that moment, Marina came in to the breakfast room and said, "Please don't hate me, but I need to switch your room. I made a mistake and need your current room for guests who are arriving today. Oh, and my credit card machine broke this morning, so you'll need to pay cash. If you need cash, you can go into Radicofani to get some." Sigh - I had hoped not to pay cash, but these things happen. However, it was a bit of a pain for us to switch rooms because as I mentioned, riding our bicycles, we had very few places where we stayed two nights, so it was a welcome rest to be able to unpack, air out, and clean some clothes. This was not possible.

Being without a car, we were a bit restrained in our activities, but we had no issue making a hike out of Radicofani, and Marina had offered to drive us there if we needed her to.

That evening at dinner, we sat down and were immediately given an open bottle of house wine. What a pleasant surprise, we thought - assuming it was part of dinner since it was already open, we didn't ask for it, and we hadn't been given the wine menu. Again, dinner was spectacular - Marina is a first class chef.

The next morning we sat down for breakfast and heard Marina talking to a large group of Italian guests and serving them breakfast. We heard her ask them if they would like yogurt and cereal. She then came to our table, gave us each a piece of cake, got our coffees, and then disappeared. Since I don't eat cake for breakfast, I was hoping for the yogurt, but again, no offer and we were totally alone. My husband wandered over to the kitchen after we waited a good 20 minutes and finally asked if we could also have some cereals with yogurt, and the staff kindly obliged. We were completely confused as to why we were being treated differently at breakfast, and in fact since the minute we arrived at La Selvella. Even the Italian guests, who were all cyclists (not touring, but sport), were allowed to keep their bicycles in their rooms, where ours had to be stored by the trash.

The final nail in the coffin came at checkout, however. Marina handed us our bill and explained that we would pay 140 euro (as agreed) for the first night, and 150 euro for the second night because it was the larger, nicer room, and then 14 euro for the two bottles of wine! We immediately stated that we did not think it was fair to pay for the larger room when we had not requested it and it was her mistake that she mixed up her reservations and had to make us move to another room, an inconvenience for us. And then to make us pay extra!?!?! As for the wine, well, we asked why were given the bottle the second night when we hadn't ordered it, and Marina responded, "Well, my mistake since the other table ordered it, but you didn't refuse it." Unbelievable.

As a side note: La Selvella has a luxurious air about it, but it is still a farm, so the dogs live mostly outdoors but are welcome indoors as well. It is not uncommon for the dogs to beg at the table during breakfast and dinner and if you leave your room door open, don't be surprised if a dog walks in and makes herself comfortable. We like dogs very much, but it may be uncomfortable for some, especially in the eating area - the dogs aren't exactly well washed.

Truthfully, it is so hard to express in words how we felt staying at La Selvella. I have never stayed in a place that made me feel so unwelcome and as though I had done something wrong. Never once did I mislead Marina in thinking that we would be arriving earlier, or that we would want to pay extra for the larger room. I'm not sure what we did, but I will never ever return to La Selvella and I have sworn to warn any potential new customers about the nature of Marina and her operation. It is no place to enjoy your vacation, I promise you. PLEASE don't make the same mistake we did.

Room Tip: The larger, more expensive room is right next to the chickens and the rooster, who will wake you up...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We took our family there for a break from big city tourism and we all wished we could have stayed even longer. As noted by others, Marina is a wonderful and gracious hostess. She and her daughter and assistants worked tirelessly to make the stay comfortable and pleasant. If not for the distance, I'd plan all my vacations there. Really.

Don't miss her dinners. They are 2+ hours of excellence. The rest of my family took a cooking class and they had a great time. The pool was a welcome treat in the July heat. You'll want a car for touring, but one morning, we walked to Radicofani and toured the castle. It is about 10km round trip, and a nice walk on the road.

Room Tip: We stayed in Girasole (Sunflower) with 2 adults and 2 children. There is room for another 2. Great l...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Everything about our stay at La Selvella was truly fantastic. I found searching and choosing an agriturismo quite confusing but as soon as I emailed Marina at La Selvella I just know we had to stay there. Even before we arrived Marina had suggested various things for us to do in the area and had pre-booked some activities for us such as horseriding.

As soon as we arrived at La Selvella Marina made us feel welcome and as part of the family. She did everything she could to make sure we had a great holiday. She provided maps, suggestions, restaurant recommendations - nothing was too much trouble.

La Selvella itself is rustic but very comfortable and the setting is truly beautiful. Our little cabin faced rolling hills. The breakfast every morning was amazing with fresh eggs from Marina's hens and freshly baked cakes.

On our last night, we did a cooking class with Marina. The food was simple, rustic and delicious. There was a real focus on quality of ingredients with almost everything either coming from Marina's farm or from the local area. We ate so much we couldn't move! Our biggest regret was that we ever ate anywhere else but at La Selvella. Marina has a real love and passion for cooking and it really shows in the food.

La Selvella is truly a special place for a relaxing break. I really hope that one day we will return (and in the meantime I will keep on cooking those amazing stuffed zucchini flowers Marina taught me to make).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Agriturismo La Selvella? Share your experiences!