“Relaxing getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Relaxing getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

On Arrival at this beautiful hideaway hotel, the weather was grim & cold but the warm welcome from the friendly staff made us feel comfortable & relaxed. The whole ambience of the Castle was of old, quality comfort which suited the beautiful surroundings. From the moment we arrived the staff were most attentive, special thanks must go to Chris who could not have been more obliging introducing us to the rest of the team & ensuring everything was perfect. The evening meal was amazing, Each of the 6 courses were a taste sensation, the chef should be proud. After a hearty breakfast the following morning the weather hadn't improved but our spirits had. We left with a feel good factor & will certainly return. There is no doubt that the excellent staff made an impression.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Kyle of Lochalsh, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I would like to thank ALL the staff at Dalmunzie Castle for their devoted and individual attention and for making it feel a very personal experience. My stay was extremely comfortable and clean. The hotel is situated in a very picturesque area. It's so nice to stay at a hotel that has such quality and that is pet friendly........a rare bonus these days.
My dinner was the best I've ever eaten. The flavours on every plate were just perfect. (It's making my taste buds tingle just thinking about it) your Chef is a pure genius. A huge thank you to Sam the beautiful waitress and also to Jamie for being so gracious.
It shows what a fabulous team the staff at Dalmunzie are. Thank you all. I hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: A fabulous gem tucked away in stunning scenery, with peace and quiet. Well worth going for a break...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Portsoy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The main course at dinner was probably the best plate I have ever eaten! Guinea fowl with a truffle sauce and mashed potato - delicious! My wife's fungi risotto was also delicious. The hotel itself is quirky, don't expect a homogenous Holiday Inn experience, the room was quirky, uneven squeaky floors and a general "lived in" feel about the place, but it's just what you want from an historic highland castle! Excellent staff and service. Hearty full Scottish breakfast. Stunning location in the Grampian mountain range. Amazing silence at night... We will return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

After 3 busy days in Edinburgh we had booked this House for quiet stay away to recover. We could not have been more quieter with the house itself being 1.5 miles from the road. We enjoyed a 5 course dinner both notes as part of our package, with the 2nd night us being the only guests in attendance for the 17 rooms.
We know the house has recently been sold, and although it has the character of the old place, it also needs a lot of updating.
The Genealogy library does not exist, just a room called a library with a few books in

The staff were very friendly and helpful

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

As with a lot of other review’s we went to Dalmunzie Castle hotel booked through Secret Escapes, which made it much better value for money. Unlike a lot of the other reviewers, as I was a kitchen porter in the hotel 36years ago, I did see a lot of changes especially the food which is now 1st rate. The one area which has never changed and needs a real overhaul is the bar and lounge, which are small and dark and still have the same darts and bar billiards table which were there 36 years ago. One of the waiters did indicate that this and a conservatory are the next areas for development which I think would be a great advantage for the hotel. During our stay we were blessed with great weather sunny but cold which we took advantage off with a lovely walk along the old railway line to the lodge at the end of the glen but I did wonder what we would have done if it was chucking it down. The hotel could perhaps better publicise activities in and around the glen as well as in the hotel, I know there are shooting, golf, tennis and walking but these are all good weather activities a suggestion of mine for a bad day would be a cooking class, from the standard I seen at dinner I sure the chef could teach the guests a trick or two.
Previous reviews made comment’s about the tired rooms, ours was warm clean and comfortable with antiques and original paintings I agree the bath, shower, toilet and fittings are dated and could do with replacing but it would spoil the feel of the hotel if it was over modernised, all that it needs is tastefully upgraded. The complementary large dram made up for any discomfort in the old style bathrooms, but I could have done with a TV signal apparently they were working on the roads and lost all channels, the Wi-fi was working even in the rooms but not strong enough to download any TV, perhaps they should think about a DVD library for these occasions as our TV had a built in player.
I did not get a chance to play golf because of the snow but with the views from the tees I am sure even a bad round would be enjoyable.
All in all it was a wonderful break and great value for money especially if you can get the right deal.
I for one would go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed here for one night after receiving a voucher for Celtic Castles as a wedding present. We stayed in the Birkmyre Tower Room.
On arrival there was no one in reception and we had to go look for someone, but no big issue as we found someone very quickly. We were given a tour of the hotel by a member of staff named Michael who was extremely friendly and professional. He then showed us to our room.
Beautiful big traditional room, complimentary whisky and sherry which was a nice touch.
Only complaint was the bathroom which was a bit tired although clean.
Water pressure was rubbish!
We called down for a ice bucket for some champagne we had brought, and were quickly presented with an ice bucket and 2 champagne glasses.
Had an evening drink in the bar before dinner and chatted to the very knowledgeable bar man who have great wine recommendations.
Dinner was amazing, as was breakfast. One thing which really stood out was the service - all staff members extremely polite and went above and beyond.
Would have had five stars if not for the bathroom!
As an aside, the previous review when someone said they expect 4x4 transport up a glen with a hamper picnic basket is in my opinion not something many people would expect - certainly wouldn't have entered my head!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Oban, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Happened on this hotel by chance, and am so glad we did. The hotel is an old hunting lodge 10mins from Glenshee snow slopes. The hotel is cosy and inviting,log fire in the lounge which were roaring, comfy sofas that you just sunk into. We settled into our room which was cosy and functional, lovely tea making facilities, which are very important to me and my husband as we are tea Jennies , great selection of teas and coffees and melt in the mouth homemade shortbread. Whiskey and water on a nice silver tray, really nice touch, although we sustained. Bathroom was simple and had everything necessary within, white fluffy towels, tissues and pampering toiletries. Loads of hot water, and a shower with a great pressure to it. The room was well presented and clean. We went on a wee explore in the local glen, snow and ice and gorgeous scenery, us being oudoorsy it was lovely, just the thing to blow the cobwebs away and refresh the soul! We returned to some afternoon tea and probably the best cheese and chutney sandwhich I've ever tasted. Dinner was an experience not just a meal, the staff were both attentive and uniintrusive.We had six courses and a nice bottle of wine, worth every penny and not to be missed. The food was delicious and I particularly enjoyed my plum pastry, the pastry was mouthwatering, well done whomever baked it. Had a great nights sleep and a very tasty breakfast before departing for the long journey home. In summary, the hotels not modern,may not have 5 stars, but it certainly met all my high standard and requirements when I'm parting with my hard earned pounds and pence. Friendly, interested staff,delicious food,clean accommodation and tremendous setting, we will return for sure, thanks Dalmunzie Castle. Oh and we had a fun 10minutes before breakfast watching Phylis the pet grouse chasing the other birds away from her booty of fresh bread put out by the chefs.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dalmunzie Castle? Share your experiences!