“We will return......” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
england
“We will return......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Visiting parents who live in nearby Middlesbrough, just before Christmas -we decided to venture a bit further out, and stay at Gisborough Hall. (Especially as we were also celebrating our Wedding Anniversary 22nd December)
Having never (so far) - been let down by a McDonald's Hotel - we were fairly confident that we would not be disappointed.
We arrived on a wet,windy evening...to have a very warm welcome from the staff on reception. Our room was in the new wing - and was of the cleanliness and comfort we have come to expect from all McDonalds Hotels. We did find that one of the lights in the spacious bathroom was not working - reported this to reception, and this was rectified in record time.
Due to family commitments , we were not able to spend as much time in the hotel/area as we would have liked; however we had a lovely Anniversary Dinner in the restaurant, which was made more special by the Chef producing a little 'anniversary cake' for 2 - as our waiter had informed him that it was a special celebration. Thank You!!
We plan to return this year, to spend more time in the hotel and explore the area.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear fitzhamon

Firstly may I wish you a belated happy anniversary! I am delighted that we delivered to your expectations of a Macdonald Hotel.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Gisborough Hall for a longer stay, I appreciate that you know the area with your parents living in Middlesbrough; however, having the time to explore the coastline, the villages and the moors is very special.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Kim Yardley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed here with my husband in early November. He had a conference here on the Monday so we decided to come up for the weekend as Guisborough is a few hours drive from where we live.

We stayed in the newly built part of the hotel. Other reviewers have commented that this means a long walk to your room. I agree it was a walk but I think the signage must have been improved recently as we didn't have a problem finding our way around.

The room was very spacious as was the bathroom (boasting his and hers sinks and separate bath and shower). There was a large desk and an ethernet cable for internet connection, which came in handy as we both had a bit of work do to and the 3G signal was non-existent. The fact there was loose leaf tea and teapot and ground coffee and cafetiere was a nice touch. As usual there were only a few small servings of milk but on asking at reception for some more milk, a member of staff had brought some to our room almost before we got back ourselves!

We ate at the G Bar and Bistro on our first night and were very impressed. I would agree with their website that it is simple, modern food but it's very tasty and well presented. My only comment would be that I was almost (!) unable to finish the milk chocolate mousse as it was so rich (and I have a sweet tooth). The staff were attentive but not fussing over you. There was an excellent selection for breakfast with a full English cooked to order.

On the Monday whilst my husband was at his conference I worked in the drawing room where there was free wi-fi and I was pretty much left to myself (I was asked twice if I would like a drink).

On checking out the £10 credit you receive for booking direct had not been deducted from our bill but this was quickly rectified without problem.

Unless we have the need to stay in or around Guisborough we're unlikely to return here in the future but, based on our experience here, we would certainly try other Macdonalds hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear qeotu

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Gisborough Hall. Reading this, it appears that we ticked all of the boxes!
We have commenced the signage improvement upgrade, though only slowly. After finishing decorating the fabulous 1st floor rooms of the main house, we will continue.
I am delighted that you found the team here so accommodating and that you also enjoyed the dining experience and your hotel bedroom.
I really hope that you return, maybe as a leisure guests? I can see from your profile that it is quite a drive; however there is much to do and see in this area of stunning coast and magnificent moors.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed just one night for rest and relaxation. The welcome was warm and friendly. After getting settled and unpacked in the spacious and comfortable room, we had a drink in the bar. Marie the bar girl was very helpful in recommending a bottle of wine for our dinner. When we had dinner the choice was great with almost too many nice things to choose from. We had the recommended wine and we were very pleased with it. We had a good nights sleep and check-out was fast efficient and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear patsylandin

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at Gisborough Hall.
I am delighted that this was a return stay for you and that you so enjoyed it. I know Marie will be thrilled to read your comments, she interacts beautifully with our guests and this shows an example of going that one step further.
We look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit!

North Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

My youngest daughter chose this venue for her wedding reception, and despite some private reservations it turned out very well.
The double staircase into the hall gave the bride & groom a special entrance, which was organised well by the mc so that the lights went out and back on at the appropriate time to give a spectacular start to proceedings.
The food at the reception was very good, along with the service, only complaint was that we had specified dietary requirements for one guest, and they had to be reminded more than once. This child has a dairy allergy, and a caramel dessert was presented to him.
We had a hot buffet for the evening reception, and again the food could not be faulted.
The conservatory was a comfortable refuge for anyone wishing to cool down, or get away from the disco for a chat, you are outside the main room, but still feel part of the proceedings thanks to the windows.
The room provided for the Bride and Groom, although not the Bridal Suite, was a beautiful room, and they were impressed with everything about it.
My wife and I, along with many of the guests, stayed in the hotel and found the rooms comfortable, if a little warm, with large well equipped bathroom, and a King Size bed.
The frontage and grounds of the hotel lend themselves to excellent photographs, unfortunately we had a wet and windy day in December, but a spectacular sunset saved the day for us.
One small complaint was that the following morning, after an excellent breakfast, we had difficulty finding any staff to assist us in packing away our belongings, ie. wedding presents, table decorations, left over cake etc. It was New Years Eve so they were busy preparing for the night, but we felt that we were yesterdays work and a helpful hand would have been appreciated. We finally got help from the lady on reception, and she couldn't have been more helpful.
A previous reviewer mentioned not been able to get a night cap, I know members of our party obtained drinks around 01.00hrs. so it wasn't a problem for us.
The whole experience was unforgettable, and gave my daughter and a husband a day to remember, the organisation was very good, and consequently the day went by without a hitch.
All in all an excellent venue for a wedding whatever the weather, look forward to returning some time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear PaulNorthYorkshire

Thank you for taking the time in posting such an extensive review following your daughters wedding reception at Gisborough Hall.
I am absolutely delighted that the day was unforgettable for all of the right reasons. The Madoc Suite with its double staircase makes for a formidable entrance and the room lit by chandeliers makes a most spectacular venue.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the meals served and the service and the conservatory, a comfortable refuge from the music. The bedrooms have predominately King-Size beds, and the room your daughter stayed in was The Rose Room, this was decorated in December and a fabulous new bathroom put in. This four poster room is now our premier bridal suite.
I am sorry that you did not find adequate help on Tuesday morning to help pack away your belongings.
I am so happy your daughter had a memorable reception here at Gisborough Hall; we look forward to you all returning one day.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Visited 23rd December as a family of 4 for afternoon tea as a little pre Christmas treat. It was a disaster and we only stayed one hour. The room was freezing cold and the yellow sofas were filthy. The mulled wine was barely warm and the addition of a piece of blue kitchen towel stuck to the side of a scone was the finishing blow. There was no atmosphere and it was not very Christmassy at all. The one waitress, whilst pleasant enough, we rushed off her feet eve though there was only ourselves and one other party of 3 ladies to serve. Not a place I would visit again I'm afraid, it's musty, decor is dated and needs a good steam clean. Over priced as well. Not a patch on Wynyard Hall.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear 2bigunsplus2

I am really concerned that my team did not give me feedback on the day regarding your poor experience. I am sorry that your visit was so unsatisfactory.
The décor is subjective, the hotel owners have chosen to keep the colours of ages past, this is always under review, and there are plans going forward to refurbish the hall and drawing room as we have the G Bar and Chaloner’s Restaurant. The furniture is cleaned twice yearly and has just been completed, this is because of high traffic and the log fires on the ground floor.
I am truly sorry that your scone had a piece of kitchen roll attached and that your mulled wine was not warm enough, I hope that my team replaced both of these items?
I will not comment on other establishments, however, our prices are very competitive with the providers of afternoon tea in this area.
I hope that you will have a change of heart and visit again in the future and have a great experience.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I visited Gisborough Hall for a wedding. The hotel is quite an attractive and characterful building set in parkland outside the village of Guisborough, North Yorkshire. The hotel has an impressive entrance into a large hall with open lit fire. The reception staff were very friendly and relaxed. I had a single room (which was actually a small double), which again had a lot of character with a fireplace in the bedroom and an older style en-suite bathroom. Although there was only single glazing in this old building, the warm was very pleasant and warm. Unfortunately, the hotel's wifi was virtually non existent in the bedroom and I had to pay for BT Openworld in order to access the internet. I attended the wedding evening reception and it was a very good venue. What I imagine to be the main hall was used which had an attractive double staircase down to the main hall. There was a small bar in the corner and plenty of space. The foyer outside was useful for mingling and getting away from the noisy disco! Breakfast the following morning was very good, with some of the lightest and exquisite scrambled eggs that I have ever tasted. Gluten free toast was available which was good for me as a coeliac. The hotel wasn't particularly competitively priced at £87 for a single room, but given the old traditional style of the hotel and rooms, along with the good service, very good breakfast, and convenience of staying at the same place as the wedding, it represented a good deal. Certainly recommended if you are looking for any of these things, or a cosy, quality base from which to explore the area.

Room Tip: If you need wifi, ask for a room with a reasonable signal.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear EJB1976

Thank you for posting your review of Gisborough Hall following your recent stay with us attending a wedding.
I am delighted that you found the hotel facilities and cuisine to be of high standard, also pleased that you enjoyed the wedding evening reception and the ambience. This was held in our Madoc Suite, lit by chandeliers and with our magnificent staircase. The conservatory, recently decorated, makes a comfortable sanctuary away from the noise.
We would love the opportunity in welcoming you back to the hotel one day as a leisure guests, you can then explore the beauty of the North York’s Moors and coastline.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed for a couple of nights new years break which we have done at various hotels for the last 15 years
The good points. Staff are generally superb, friendly and helpful. The food is generally good with the breakfasts exceptional. The hall itself is atypical of a country house, quaint and quirky. the grounds are picturesque, its not difficult to get to and there are plenty of places to visit in the area with some good walks. The new year celebration itself was well organised with good entertainment however it finished too early for us and left us a with a bit of an anti climax.
The issues with the place are evident...its draughty, wind was howling through and around our bedroom windows for 2 days meaning sleep without intoxication was impossible, the décor was 70s orange paint including the ceiling, the furniture in our room 225 including the bed looked as though they had been sourced from a charity shop though the bed was comfortable. The bathroom though adequate had no hot water 2 nights running so we had to take cold showers. Reported to reception but got the usual message of cant do anything about it . The electrical equipment was out of safety certification (PAT testing) by more than 2 months. Again reported to reception but no action taken other than "surprised because they are usually on top of this" . So my advice is to check the dates on the appliances to make sure you are not being put at risk. The final issue we had was after the formal new year celebration finished we went with others into the residents lounge for a nightcap and chat,, we asked the night porter for drinks but were told he couldn't get us any as they didn't have a 24 hr licence..........what a crock. When I explained to him it was a hotel it didn't cut any Ice and he refused to get any drinks for us. My view on this is its rubbish and has never happened at any other hotel we have visited and pretty much spoilt the new year atmosphere. So in summary make your own minds up about the place it has good and bad point some of which are quite serious. Would we return ? the answer has to be NO as there are so many places to choose from and the hotel didn't do enough to attract any more custom from us.

Room Tip: Don't really have any advice for a good room other than if your not dog friendly avoid the garde...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear stevesid

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Thank you also for a balanced review: I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay with us, with good food and service. I am sincerely sorry that we had a faulty valve in our boiler system, I hope that this not deter from your enjoyment too much.

We undertake our own electrical testing, the law simply requires us to ensure electrical equipment is maintained in order to prevent danger - it doesn't state what needs to be done or how often. We chose to test annually and the date shown is 12-months from prior inspection. We have a rolling plan, and have not breached best practice, however can understand your concerns.

Our licence dictates that we stop serving alcohol after 2.00am. My night team were correct in not serving alcohol after this time, when the Licensing Act was updated hotels no longer automatically offered 24-hr service to residents. Following your post, I will be reviewing this with my team, looking at the potential in extending hours. I am sorry this took the edge off your evening.

I am truly sorry that you would not return in the future, should you change your mind we would love to welcome you back.

Kim Yardley

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!