“Salubrious, quality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
Leeds
“Salubrious, quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

Beautiful hotel, friendly and courteous staff, stunning grounds - perfect for a wedding, quality food, spacious room with huge bed (king +)

We were looking for a treat and this certainly hit the spot. Reassuringly expensive - ie fairly pricey but at least you feel that it's worth it due to the surroundings.

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — The wait for coffee and toast at breakfast - it was very busy
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Courtice, Ont.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

We stayed in the Lady Gisborough Suite in the old part of the hotel and it was gorgeous!! The view of the rolling countryside from the windows was breathtaking.

The common areas were lovely, the service was friendly and efficient and the entire hotel was charming.

I loved the "middle of nowhere" feel to it. I vacation to get away from the nightmare that is Toronto, so to find such a quality hotel in the country was a huge treat, especially considering it was a completely unexpected stop.

The only thing I found disappointing (and I'm certain that they would have brought more had I actually asked) is that there was almost no fresh fruit remaining on the buffet when we came down for breakfast. When I go to a buffet, I expect it to be stocked regardless of what time I arrive (and we did arrive toward the end). I don't feel I should have to ask for items. Honestly a very minor issue and I'm just being picky. :-)

The hot breakfast was very nice and my husband thoroughly enjoyed all his and half of mine. Lol. Between the buffet and the hot breakfast there was a lot of food.

We were completely pleased with everything!! Will definitely return next time we travel "across the pond".

Tip: Oh, you MUST take a day trip to nearby Whitby!! It is the most adorable town and what was going to be a little stop through ended up being a 4 hour stay! We didn't want to leave.

• Liked — Beauty of setting and service
  • Disliked — Pricey - but worth it.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

We enjoyed a lovely weekend at Gisborough Hall. The hotel is located in the lovely area of Gisborough and North Yorkshire Moors. Very striking house, but with all the luxuries of a top class hotel. What impressed us most was the attentive staff. Never have we stayed in such a hotel where all staff, young and old were so accomodating. All the waiters and waitresses were fantastic, we couldn't fault them. The rooms were lovely, we stayed in the newer part of the building, and these were equally nice. One little gripe we had was the library bar was wonderfully stocked with malt whiskeys, vodkas, cocktails, but there was only 3 draught beers and all bottle beers were extremely over priced. It would be great if they had some locally brewed ales on draught. The drinks though are very pricey!! Breakfast was lovely and the staff couldn't bring you enough coffee and toast. Dinner was also good in Tocketts Restaurant, again the staff shined through. We will definately visit this hotel again.
If your looking for a local brewed beer, visit The White Swan in Stokesley, about 15mins away from Gisborough. They are a mircobrewery and the beer is great, and at only £2.40 a pint, well worth a visit!!!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Poor drinks choice at bar and too expensive
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

We have just got back from a walking weekend break at the North End of the Cleveland Way and chose to stay in this Hotel for location.

The Hotel was every bit as good as recent reviews have highlighted. Lovely setting, warm welcoming staff and large clean rooms. We stayed in the new wing of the hotel at the back and although you dont get the experience of the old house rooms they are very spacious, the shower and bathroom large and the location is serene and quiet.

The Hot breakfast is cooked to order - the rest is self serve. The service is as good as I have experienced in any hotel stay but with it was always with a genuine smile. The Restaurant manager (Geovanni) was especially friendly going out of his way to deliver a newspaper to the table and regaling us with local advice..

The hotel is at the gateway to the moors but ideal for walkers and only 20 mins drive to Middlesbrough. I recommend the walk from Great Ayton to Captain James Cooke's monument at the top of Easby Moor and then carry on to Yorkshire's "Matterhorn" Roseberry Topping.

• Liked — The Friendly Staff Who Make the Stay enjoyable
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

What an amazing hotel. Absolutely beautiful. My husband and I also had a completely different experience at the hotel than the previous review. Check in and out was very efficient and the staff were more than helpful and welcoming.

The impression we had regarding the staff that worked there was that they couldn't do enough for us. They were always polite and spoke whenever they saw us. One young lady was even kind enough to help us with a few of the local attractions to visit during our stay - we had a lovely visit to Whitby and Saltburn thanks to her.

We also stayed in the Woodlands Wing - this part of the hotel is more modern and contemporary compaired to the main part of the hotel. I agree that we may try to stay in the older part of the hotel next time as I can imagine the rooms would mirror the decor of the actual hotel. This isn't to say that the rooms in the Woodlands Wing are not nice, far from it. There was everything there that you needed - and if it wasn't there, the staff are more than willing to bring you what you needed.

I must say that I do disagree with the previous review by way of the cat ! I am a cat lover and she is most gorgeous, soppy (and big) cat you could meet. She certainly brings a homely approach to the hotel which is really nice. I get the impression that she certainly rules the roost !

And last, but certainly not least, the food is out of this world! If you are a pudding lover I would definitely recommend the Baileys and Coffee Fondant desert, with chocolate brownie icecream ! The creme brulee is something else as well !

• Liked — Food !
  • Disliked — It ended!
Hereford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

Reading the previous review my experience was totally different, I found the staff to be extremely friendly from making the reservation to checking in and out. I was sent information in the post detailing directions, attractions in the area and information on the hotel even though this was not asked for.

The booking call was handled very well, I called lateish on in the evening and the call handler was very efficient and friendly, I was offered different rates for different room types but the explanation of the difference was clearly explained.

I knew from this point that our stay at Gisborough hall was going to be special and we were not disappointed, on arrival we were met at the car by a young man who immediately welcomed us to the hotel and introduced himself, he carried our bags and walked us to the reception area and introduced me and my wife to the receptionist. The check in was very personal and friendly, we made our dinner booking for both nights as it was very busy and the times we wanted were not available, we had to eat later than we would of liked on the first night which was the only negative, however to be fare I was asked when I booked the hotel if I wanted to make the dinner booking, I would certainly recommend that dinner is booked in advance of arriving as it was very busy.

Our room was very practical, clean and bright with modern furnishings, we were in the new wing which I think is called the woodland as opposed to the main old building which is amazing with grand old rooms and traditional furniture, our next visit will certainly be in this part of the hotel.

Overall every aspect of our stay was fantastic, the staff are just so friendly and genuine to offer help at every possible stage. The food is great and the local town is beautiful and full of character just like the hotel. If I had to think of any negatives it would be the cat which is resident at the hotel, it sleeps on the furniture and I just don’t like cats much.

Certainly one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at, we have stayed at many hotels throughout the world and this one is certainly in the top 5, the staff here are one of its main assets along with its location and natural beauty. 10 out of 10 from me!

• Liked — The Staff are amazing and the building is also
  • Disliked — The Cat
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

We stayed here recently for a friend’s wedding. The wedding itself was excellent. The staff were very friendly, the food was fantastic, the room and setting was lovely and the whole event was really special. We were really impressed.

However, staying at the hotel was a different matter. The problems first started when I rang to book a room earlier in the year. I rang to enquire about prices and was quoted a price of £100 B&B. I therefore said I would call them back after I had checked with my husband. We agreed to go for it and I rang back to book.

The person I spoke to quoted me a slightly higher rate but told me not too book this. They explained that as we were staying as part of a wedding, the bridal couple should block book some rooms and we would get a much cheaper rate. Therefore, we let our friends know and waited.

They contacted the hotel to be told the “special” wedding rate was £130 B&B. Obviously this was higher than the other rates we had been given and this was supposed to be discounted!

I therefore called the hotel to try and sort this out as we were now very confused. I recounted the conversations I had previously had and asked them to confirm the rate. The confirmed it as £130 B&B. I asked whether there was a special wedding rate and they said this was it. I explained that I had been advised earlier that a much cheaper rate would be available. I also explained that I had checked their website and they were offering the £103 B&B rate on that and therefore surely the wedding rate was discounted from this, as anyone could book this rate? I further asked what their normal tarrif was I wanted to know whether there was actually any discount. The person said they needed to check and put me on hold.

I was on hold for around 15/20 minutes. During this time, I checked the website and found that the £103 B&B rate was still available on there. I was starting to get really fed up so started booking online during the wait.

When the person eventually came back on, she said the higher rate was the only rate she could offer me. She didn’t confirm what the normal rate was. She asked if I wanted to book at this rate and I declined saying that when the £103 rate was still on offer on the website, why should I pay more.

I therefore put the phone down and clicked to undertake the final bit of the internet booking. However, it said there was a technical problem and I should refresh the page. On doing so….the £103 rate had gone and was now £133! I was furious as it seemed very strange to me that this rate had suddenly gone up when I had told them I was intending to book the £103 rate on the website.

I therefore called them back immediately and put my concerns to them. Their reply was that they were sure they could honour the £103 rate! This didn't really allay my concerns about this rate suddenly going up, as why would they now suddenly let me have the cheaper rate which they had already said they couldn’t offer it to me?

On arrival at the hotel, we checked in. The woman was extremely cold and unwelcoming. She gave us the key to the room and explained roughly how to get to it. However, she didn’t tell us the number of the room. I politely asked the room number and was told “It’s on the paper” (the little card you get with your key). We thought this was rude and unhelpful.

Check out was almost a similar story. The information in the room said check out was 12 noon. However, we heard from someone else just before 11am that it was 11am. Not very useful having inaccurate room info.

The person who checked us out was the first friendly member of hotel staff we had encountered and dealt with us in a friendly and efficient manner.

This hotel clearly has service issues and it is a great shame as the hotel itself is really nice and clearly provides good conference facilities. We were also concerned over the booking scenario, especially when we heard from another guest that they had a not dissimilar experience. Therefore, if you do choose to stay here, check the rates carefully.

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!