“Fantastic Hotel!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
Hereford
“Fantastic Hotel!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

Reading the previous review my experience was totally different, I found the staff to be extremely friendly from making the reservation to checking in and out. I was sent information in the post detailing directions, attractions in the area and information on the hotel even though this was not asked for.

The booking call was handled very well, I called lateish on in the evening and the call handler was very efficient and friendly, I was offered different rates for different room types but the explanation of the difference was clearly explained.

I knew from this point that our stay at Gisborough hall was going to be special and we were not disappointed, on arrival we were met at the car by a young man who immediately welcomed us to the hotel and introduced himself, he carried our bags and walked us to the reception area and introduced me and my wife to the receptionist. The check in was very personal and friendly, we made our dinner booking for both nights as it was very busy and the times we wanted were not available, we had to eat later than we would of liked on the first night which was the only negative, however to be fare I was asked when I booked the hotel if I wanted to make the dinner booking, I would certainly recommend that dinner is booked in advance of arriving as it was very busy.

Our room was very practical, clean and bright with modern furnishings, we were in the new wing which I think is called the woodland as opposed to the main old building which is amazing with grand old rooms and traditional furniture, our next visit will certainly be in this part of the hotel.

Overall every aspect of our stay was fantastic, the staff are just so friendly and genuine to offer help at every possible stage. The food is great and the local town is beautiful and full of character just like the hotel. If I had to think of any negatives it would be the cat which is resident at the hotel, it sleeps on the furniture and I just don’t like cats much.

Certainly one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at, we have stayed at many hotels throughout the world and this one is certainly in the top 5, the staff here are one of its main assets along with its location and natural beauty. 10 out of 10 from me!

• Liked — The Staff are amazing and the building is also
  • Disliked — The Cat
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

We stayed here recently for a friend’s wedding. The wedding itself was excellent. The staff were very friendly, the food was fantastic, the room and setting was lovely and the whole event was really special. We were really impressed.

However, staying at the hotel was a different matter. The problems first started when I rang to book a room earlier in the year. I rang to enquire about prices and was quoted a price of £100 B&B. I therefore said I would call them back after I had checked with my husband. We agreed to go for it and I rang back to book.

The person I spoke to quoted me a slightly higher rate but told me not too book this. They explained that as we were staying as part of a wedding, the bridal couple should block book some rooms and we would get a much cheaper rate. Therefore, we let our friends know and waited.

They contacted the hotel to be told the “special” wedding rate was £130 B&B. Obviously this was higher than the other rates we had been given and this was supposed to be discounted!

I therefore called the hotel to try and sort this out as we were now very confused. I recounted the conversations I had previously had and asked them to confirm the rate. The confirmed it as £130 B&B. I asked whether there was a special wedding rate and they said this was it. I explained that I had been advised earlier that a much cheaper rate would be available. I also explained that I had checked their website and they were offering the £103 B&B rate on that and therefore surely the wedding rate was discounted from this, as anyone could book this rate? I further asked what their normal tarrif was I wanted to know whether there was actually any discount. The person said they needed to check and put me on hold.

I was on hold for around 15/20 minutes. During this time, I checked the website and found that the £103 B&B rate was still available on there. I was starting to get really fed up so started booking online during the wait.

When the person eventually came back on, she said the higher rate was the only rate she could offer me. She didn’t confirm what the normal rate was. She asked if I wanted to book at this rate and I declined saying that when the £103 rate was still on offer on the website, why should I pay more.

I therefore put the phone down and clicked to undertake the final bit of the internet booking. However, it said there was a technical problem and I should refresh the page. On doing so….the £103 rate had gone and was now £133! I was furious as it seemed very strange to me that this rate had suddenly gone up when I had told them I was intending to book the £103 rate on the website.

I therefore called them back immediately and put my concerns to them. Their reply was that they were sure they could honour the £103 rate! This didn't really allay my concerns about this rate suddenly going up, as why would they now suddenly let me have the cheaper rate which they had already said they couldn’t offer it to me?

On arrival at the hotel, we checked in. The woman was extremely cold and unwelcoming. She gave us the key to the room and explained roughly how to get to it. However, she didn’t tell us the number of the room. I politely asked the room number and was told “It’s on the paper” (the little card you get with your key). We thought this was rude and unhelpful.

Check out was almost a similar story. The information in the room said check out was 12 noon. However, we heard from someone else just before 11am that it was 11am. Not very useful having inaccurate room info.

The person who checked us out was the first friendly member of hotel staff we had encountered and dealt with us in a friendly and efficient manner.

This hotel clearly has service issues and it is a great shame as the hotel itself is really nice and clearly provides good conference facilities. We were also concerned over the booking scenario, especially when we heard from another guest that they had a not dissimilar experience. Therefore, if you do choose to stay here, check the rates carefully.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

Stayed at the hotel for five nights in January whilst on business.
The hotel is in a lovely setting on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors. The hotel has been converted from the former stately home of Sir Thomas Challoner and has retained many of the features of the family home, including the library and the original dining room. It is set in beautiful grounds.

Tocketts restaurant within the hotel offers some of the best hotel food I have ever eaten. Fabulous food and excellent service.

The bedrooms are exceptionally large large and comfortable offering every modern convenience.I was really impressed with the friendly staff and the hotel overall.

• Liked — The service and the location
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

My wife and I finished a long drive from London with stops in Cambridge and York and by the time we finally got to Gisborough Hall we were absolutely blown away by its sight.

The staff were waiting to take our bags on arrival and were very friendly. As the sun was setting we went out and walked around the grounds and took some great pictures.

The dinner was excellent and the lounge was perfect for ending the day with a few drinks.

We had a great time and will definitely return for another visit.

• Liked — Spectacular scenery
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!