“My new favourite meal.” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Late Night, Reservations
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“My new favourite meal.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Every time I go to The Wainstones I set my sights on a steak. However, when I get there the specials board greets me the most fantastic sounding food, and I go for that instead. The food is great, the beer is great and the service and atmosphere is great. See you there!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Middlesbrough, Teesside
“Food much better than the accommodation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed here recently with my husband as we were attending a birthday party in the Wainstones itself. The communal areas, staff and food (particularly the Yorkshire breakfast) were great, unfortunately the room was not up to the same standard.

The room was tiny, old fashioned, the wall was stained and there was damp around the window. On a positive note the bed was comfortable and the bedding was clean. In the bathroom the tiles were cracked and the shower was pitiful, it ran hot and cold, made the most awful noises and was barely more than a dribble. The bathroom door was also warped and jammed closed.

I did intend to complain but other friends were also staying over and upon investigation it seemed that their rooms were not much better so I assumed that they were all of the same standard.

Also, although the breakfast was excellent, it was only served until 9.30am, which is very early for a Saturday morning, especially for those of us at a party the night before!

All together, not very good value for £90.00

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Nice small hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

It's find for a couple of nights, rooms are excellent and a good size. Compares favourable to a Premier Inn. Good value food in the bar

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NorthYorkshire
“Great Christmas Day lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We've been having our Christmas Day lunch here for over ten years - standard of food and service is consistantly very good. Always get a warm welcome, much appreciated!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nottm
“Fantastic Christmas Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have never had a Christmas Lunch out, but decided to break with tradition this year when we visited my parents-in-law for Christmas Day. I am unfamiliar with the area, but chose The Wainstones purely for ease of location, and the Christmas Day menu that was offered. It turned out to be an inspired choice. The Hotel is situated in a picturesque part of N Yorks, and was easy to find. We opted to dine in the restaurant and althought this was the most expensive option at £79.50 pp, we were not disapointed. The interior was decorated to make good use of the low beams with garlands and baubles and was stylish and uncluttered. The presentation of the table was simple, with silver napkins, crackers and a festive runner. The service was superb, unhurried (I was expecting to be turfed out so that they could turn the table round) friendly and personal, we even had a visit from Santa himself which was a nice touch. The food was faultless, I opted for the Thirsk black pudding, which was well cooked and complimented by a spicy fruit compote.The sorbet with kirsch was heavenly and most welcome before the main courses of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding and roast pork which were well presented and well cooked. The vegetables were varied and more importantly hot, I really appreciated the inclusion of red cabbage which was tasty and always overlooked by other establishments. I opted for Yorkshire Cheeses for dessert and was not disapointed, plenty of tangy blue cheese with a tasty tomato relish. I was told that the Christmas Pudding and the Sticky Toffee pudding were equally as good. Time for coffee, tea and mince pies. To be fair I was more than satiated at this point, so can only commend the mince pie on my Husband's description of rich filling and deep sweet pastry, I didnt even have room for the equisite little petit fours that were offered. £322.00 incl of service and drinks for 4 adults was absolutely value for money and I would like to thank The Wainstones for making our Christmas meal so memorable, we loved it !!!

• Visited December 2012