“Great hotel, nice staff and perfect views” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Deganwy Quay, Deganwy LL31 9DJ, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, nice staff and perfect views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Excellent hotel, nice service and very close to the sea which gives great views. The rooms are spacious and well equipped with especially good bathrooms. Free WiFi is a bonus as well as the spa, swimming pool and gym onsite.

While the rooms and hotel is good, the restaurant is phenomenal. Staff cant do enough to ensure you have a great meal and the food is incredible, the starters look Limited with only a few options, however this is purely a reflection of how diverse the flavours are in each (had the braised pork belly with scallops). To follow there is a great range of grill dishes including a good selection of steaks of varying cuts. Again, these are incredible and really good value as this level of food would be twice as much in the city (yet without the views across the river to Conwy). Of you're staying anywhere in North Wales, try and stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room if possible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your generous compliments following your recent stay with us at the Quay Hotel.

I am delighted to hear of your kind appreciation of our stunning location, spacious and well equipped rooms, free WiFi and our lovely swimming pool and gym facilities.

Your great feedback regarding your dining experience in our Restaurant has been forwarded on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to North Wales.

Steve Ogden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was my second visit to The Quay Hotel and Spa. I previously went with my daughter about 4 years ago. This time I went with my friend for a night's stay. We purchased the hotel deal through Secret escapes and it was a great offer.

When we arrived we were told we were being upgraded to a suite as there weren't any twin executive rooms left. Fantastic. I had a suite the last time I went so knew what to expect. We had a lovely big bedroom and bathroom and great lounge area where one of the sofas had been made into another bed. The views of the estuary were amazing.

Our room wasn't quite ready as we arrived before three o'clock so we went to have our afternoon tea. This wasn't very good, the best thing about it was the sandwiches. Although one of the sandwiches had only one side of bread on it and we told the waitress this and it took 15 minutes to bring another one. The waitress said the chef didn't understand what we meant ! The scones were quite hard, the cream was whipped cream, not clotted, and the cake choice was poor, the meringues being shop bought. I thought that a hotel of this standard would provide a better afternoon tea.

We then went to the spa where we had a treatment each. Both of us enjoyed the treatments and we both think the spa is fabulous.

My friend and I went downstairs in the evening for a a bite to eat and a drink and the food then was good as were the drinks. After this went back to our room where we decided to have a bath. My bath was luke warmish as was my friends. The plug wouldn't come out after my bath so we called reception and the porter came with a knife to get it out. My friend had to use the knife again after her luke warm bath to empty it. The reading light was also missing on one of the lamps in the bedroom also. Neither my friend or I thought this was good for a hotel of this standard.

The breakfast was good in the morning with plenty of choice.

When we checked out we told the assistant general manager who was on reception of our grievances with the room. We were told that the water wasn't as hot at night as it goes through a certain system, the lamp light would be replaced and some of the other rooms had the problem with the plug as it was a design fault and not the hotels. He also said the hotel and the staff didn't make the problems on purpose. Obviously ! My friend and I thought his attitude was as if he couldn't care less, maybe it was because we had stayed on a deal and not paid the full amount. It shouldn't make any difference how much you pay the management should have a better attitude towards customer complaints.

The best thing about the hotel is the view which truly is breathtaking, followed by the spa which is one of the best I have been too.

I would like to give this review a three and a half but can't so I am giving it a four because of the view and spa. Not because of the hotel.

Room Tip: Have a room facing the estuary. You will have the most incredible view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent stay with us at the Quay Hotel and Spa. Delighted to know of your appreciation of the available upgrade and Amazing views from your suite.

I do apologise that there an issue with the Afternoon Tea and would assure you that I have now spoken with my Chef and Restaurant staff to ensure the quality and service is improved and standards are maintained. I would however mention, that the meringues are made in our kitchen and we always serve whipped Welsh cream, as clotted cream tends to be associated with Devon and Cornwall areas.

May I reiterate my Deputy General Manager’s apologies for the length of time for the hot water supply to reach your bathroom, regrettably we did have a plumbing malfunction which was dependant on a faulty part being replaced. I am very sorry to learn that you felt my Deputy did not offer a more empathetic manner, but would assure you that all our guests, whatever the room rate, are all important to us and we endeavour to offer the very best in customer service. I am sorry he came across as less than caring, it certainly was not his intention.

Our apologies for the maintenance issues that you reported late on Saturday evening, I understand my Night Porter was able to assist at the time and I can now confirm that the fault has been repaired.

I am so pleased to note your kind comments regarding our stunning views and your enjoyment of the Spa treatments and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. When you have a date in mind, do contact me directly, so I can personally take care of your reservation.

Bakewell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We tried this hotel because of a cheap travelzoo deal and the excellent reviews. We had an excellent stay. The views from this hotel really are fantastic. The staff were all very nice; the only slight snag was because we didn't have the voucher with us, which meant we had to play around on their computer trying to download Adobe so we could print it... but it was blocked - in the end we forwarded the email as proof.

The room was very nice (we were in the dog-friendly room, so we gave up the upgraded view room). The bed was a little soft, but that would be the only slight downside. The food was brilliant. I think we both agreed they were the best steaks we have ever had - certainly as good as some of the top American steaks I've had over the years, and everything that came with them was lovely, too. We also had what we felt was the best dessert we've ever tried. The wine flight was also top notch and very good value for money.

While the highs were truly amazing, the thai mussels lacked any discernible Thai flavour (cream not coconut milk? No evidence of lemon grass etc - it was vaguely Indian, perhaps) and the sweet sensation chocolates and fudge came with no chocolates!!! That was a bit odd... however, the fudge and mint ice were lovely - but I am not sure it was worth £9 with not chocolates. Finally, the breakfast was good, but not great. The scrambled eggs were inedible and the bacon was a bit flaccid.

Overall, this hotel is highly recommended It is a lovely hotel in a truly spectacular location. It's very dog friendly. The food, while expensive, was largely very special. There were a couple of blips, but I still think this place deserves a 5 star review. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your kind compliments, following your recent stay with us at the Quay Hotel. I am delighted to read of your appreciation of our stunning views, nice rooms and brilliant food. I was sorry to note there were a few blips and would assure you that I have spoken to the relevant managers to address your concerns, recitfy the shortfalls and ensure we improve the quality and service offered.

Good to know our wine flights were "top notch". Your observations regarding the mussel dish has been forwarded on to our Exec Head Chef for her consideration and your constructive feedback is very much valued.

I am glad that you felt our hotel was lovely and in a truly specatular location and I lool forward to welcoming yuo back ont he next occasion.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I travel a fair bit because I'm an area manager for a fitness equipment manufacturer. I often like to choose hotels with a gym so I can have a workout after a day's work, and the facilities in this hotel proved to be a very high standard.
The public areas are clean and modern, the rooms are very big (the bathroom was a bit too big), and the leisure facilities were great. The only niggle I have is the time keeping...
Check-in was efficient- the young lady even took me to my hotel room door and let me in. I arrived 30 mins before check-in but my room was ready so all was good.
I got into my room, did some work and then went to the fitness centre for a workout. The staff were friendly and although the gym was small, it wasn't too busy.
I then went back to my room and ordered room service ('Welsh' burger with chips). This took 1 hour to arrive, and in my opinion this is way too long (30 mins is acceptable). I ordered at around 1815hrs so they can't have been that busy?
The following day I headed down for breakfast and I waited about a minute for someone to check me in. That was fine. I was then shown to my table but I had to ask the chef it was table service, which it was. I then helped myself to some fruit and waited for someone to take my order, which again took too long. There were a handful of people in the restaurant so I'm not sure why the service was so slow.
All in all I would recommend this hotel without a doubt. The cost is very respectable, the facilities are great, and had it not been for the slow service I would have given this property 5/5.

Room Tip: Marina view rooms are nice, and were the same price as others when I booked.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent visit to the Quay Hotel and Spa. I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our leisure facilities and that your check in was friendly and efficient.

I do apologise that you experienced shortfalls within the service encountered and would confirm I have spoken to the relevant managers to ensure we improve the timings and restaurant service.

Good to know that you would recommend the Quay and I look forard to welcoming you back on the next occasion
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This place is a real find.We stayed here for a second time -could not fault anything .Suite room was lovely with marvellous views and the dinner in the evening was excellent -all the staff were courteous and friendly .We will definately return.

Room Tip: Estuary facing room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind compliments - delighted to know how much you enjoyed your second visit. So pleased to note that your Suite was lovel with marvellous views and your dining experiences at both dinner and breakfast were excellent.

Your geneous words regarding my friendly and courteous staff is very much appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back for the third time!

Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

From being shown to my room on arrival, to being asked if I neded assistance de-icing my car on check-out the level of customer service I received during my stay was excellent.
The room was spacious with a walk in shower and bath in the bathroom.
The food in the resturant was of a high standard and again the service was excellent, the dinner,bed and breakfast rate is very good value as otherwise eating from the main menu could be a little expensive.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback following you recent stay with us at the Quay Hotel.

Good to hear of your kind appreciation of our customer service, spacious bathroom and a high standard of excellence experienced in our restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future - perhaps a leisure break next time and really enjoy all the Quay and North Wales has to offer.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the quay previously and recommended it to friends. We had had a fairly stressful time over the last month so my wife and I decided to detour on our way home from visiting family up in Edinburgh and stay over for two nights! I booked on the Friday morning and 4 and bit hours later we were ensconced in afternoon tea before residing in our suite, which was just amazing. Thank you for the upgrade . With both out birthdays fast approaching it was a lovely relaxing and stress free weekend.
The staff , food and facilities were as always .. Fantastic. Saturday nights meal was one to remember... Excellent!
Oh and the breakfasts are just the best !
Thank you to everyone for making the start of our year so special . Hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your generous compliments following your recent stay at the Quay Hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you took a detour on the way home and were able to relax, unwind and let the stresses of previous months drift away.

Great to know that you appreciated the upgrade accommodation, food, staff and our fantastic facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back on the next occasion.

Steve Ogden

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!