“Charming, stylish B&B” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Charming, stylish B&B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights on our tour of Scotland this May. Jude was really welcoming, especially after a long cold day on the motorbike. This is such a stylish and quirky place to stay. We loved the room with all the different mirrors and pieces of history on the wall. The bed was really comfortable. We were very tired after a long day so opted to get a take away in our room, Jude supplied us with everything we needed. The breakfast was lovely and Jude gave us lots of helpful information about Edinburgh. Really lovely place we would definately return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I booked two double rooms at this guest house for myself and my husband and our two American friends. Our friends love quirky places so the Retreat seemed the ideal place . We certainly weren't disappointed ! We were met by Jude who made us feel very welcome and was always available it we wanted info or help. She has thought of everything . The breakfast was beautifully cooked and there was lots to choose from . Jude even gave me toast to take through for my friend who didn't make breakfast time. The rooms and the whole atmosphere and décor of the building was amazing..Thanks Jude and Peter for making our stay very comfortable and memorable .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My wonderful girlfriend booked this as a surprise birthday weekend. We were greeted by Jude at the door of this quirky, intriguing castle. This guest house is full of character and the owners are most friendly. Our room was fantastic with a cute turret, we both loved the decor. Our favorite bit was the four poster bed which was so comfortable, we struggled to get out of it for breakfast. The full breakfast was very filling which gave us the energy for a full day of activities and adventures. We couldn't recommend a stay here enough!

Room Tip: Room 6 - large four poster room. Best room available!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Retreat due to the close location to Dalhousie Castle where a friend was getting married. I am normally such a difficult person to please but I have to say Jude went out of her way to make our stay the best, even texting to introduce herself and see if we needed directions.

Four poster room was a last minute upgrade which Jude made possible and we were front of house with a Juliette balcony (room 7). The bed was just amazing, really, really comfortable and I could have stayed there much longer. Shame the balcony wasn't accessible, window didn't open but I imagine this is intentional for safety reasons. Would be superb if this could be renovated with a door leading out.

Loved the locking ourselves in and out of the castle, gave it a very unique, safe feel. Creeping about in high heels at midnight was comical as the hotel feels so homely that you hope you don't wake the neighbours ;-) not a single complaint to be had.

Breakfast was superb with freshly brewed coffee in a massive cafetiere which was much required! Jude was so refreshing and lovely; there were renovations going on when we stayed but even these didn't impede on our wonderful experience.

Would stay here again and again. Excellent for able bodied guests; there are, however, barriers that would hinder an elderly or disabled guest such as the number of stairs but this is hardly to be avoided in such a beautiful and aged castle.

Thank you so much Jude, what a wonderful person and hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed at The Retreat castle after a wedding at Dalhousie Castle, it was only about 3 mins drive from each other. I can honestly say our room (room 6) was much bigger and much nicer, than the rooms at Dalhousie ( I know this as I had seen two of my friend's rooms there). The mattress was AMAZING and I had such a comfortable sleep which was needed after much dancing at the wedding! The bedroom was huge and was decorated very nice. the bathroom was gorgeous and it had two stained glass windows in it. The colours in the bathroom in the morning with the sun shining through was lovely. The landlady was great, very welcoming. She remembered everyone's name that came down for breakfast and was interested in what their plans were for that day. The breakfast was really good, although I was wishing the potato scones were a bit bigger in size as I was enjoying them so much. No complaints at all and would suggest here as a place to stay to everyone!

Room Tip: Get a room with a four poster bed.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights at The Retreat Castle just after Christmas, just my husband and I as kids were with Granny! Easy to find. A fantastic warm welcome from Jude, who explained how everything worked, how to get the bus etc - a fountain of knowledge! The room we had was beautiful, lovely comfortable 4 poster bed - cold at first but soon warmed up! You can come and go as you please and breakfast is served when you want it - and what a breakfast! I couldn't face the full breakfast after a Christmas of over indulgence but my husband enjoyed every mouthful! The Retreat is everything you look for in a B & B - great location, great bed, great breakfast and a lovely host! We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the 4 poster bedroom - a little more money but fabulous for a treat!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Well what can I say but fab, everthing from the host to the rooms and the breakfast.booked this hotel off the internet to go to a 50th birhday family celebration and would definelty go back, well worth the money, it is a gem thanks for having us.

Room Tip: We stopped in a twin and mother stopped in the double both very good
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Retreat Castle Rooms? Share your experiences!