“Just as we had imagined....” 4 of 5 stars

Dalhousie Castle
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dalhousie Castle grounds, Bonnyrigg EH19 3JB, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Warragul, Australia
“Just as we had imagined....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2005

We had a great time here. The staff are very accommodating and we were given a "private tour" of the real dungeon and told some of the history which added to the whole experience. We had dinner in the dungeon which was alot of fun. The orangery doesn't sort of "fit" with the castle period but we had a nice breakfast, even if it was a bit noisy. We would stay here again, and would recommened it to anyone who wants something a bit different. Just a pity its so far away from the city of Edinburgh, which we didn't realise.

• Stayed November 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2005

My daughter was married in the castle on October 30th 2005. What a wonderful day it was. From start to finish we were looked after and all felt that we could relax and enjoy the day. The chapel is beautiful and the food and service from staff was excellent. We had many guests who travelled from England and all are still enthusing about the magnificent wedding and the fabulous setting at Dalhousie. Many guests stayed overnight at the castle and all were very pleased with the accomodation and service. I would certainly recommend the castle as a splendid venue for a magical wedding.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2005

This castle is magnificent. I was treated to a 2 night stay for my 40th birthday. We stayed in the Dalhousie room which I would highly recommend. The serice and food were excellent. A meal in the Dungeon restaurant is an absolue MUST. The castle is easy to find and is well signposted, being within easy reach of Edinburgh.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2005

It started off well enough. The gracious staff accomodated our early check in request, but our room was where the problem began. We faced the front of the hotel where the noisiest gravel known -- by both tire and foot -- was the first sound we heard in the morning and the last we heard at night. It was also difficult to get heat -- it being October and all. The smell of stale ciagarette smoke in the common areas did nothing to sweeten the pot. It appears that weddings are the specialty and the hotel services may fall to a secondary consideration -- but, we must qualify that by saying that for the most part the staff is notably considerate and quite good. Of special note, the falconry is excellent. The young lady who led us about is knowledgeable and congenial. The Dungeon restaurant was excellent as was the Library and secret bar. The Orangery was less predicatable. Although the location was very convienient for Edinburgh our next stay will probably be elsewhere.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2005

Stayed here in September. This was my second visit within 5 years. We booked the same room as we stayed in 5 years ago. Robert the Bruce. Arrived in the middle of a wedding. Front desk checked us in and held our bags as our room was not ready. We came back after lunch and room was just as it was 5 years ago. Room is large and spacious. Window overlooks the river and woodland area. The king-sized bed is comfortable if you like soft beds - which I do. Sheets could be better (no pils) but were crisp and clean. Bathroom is large with shower and tub with large fluffy towels. Great hairdryer IN the bathroom (which you almost never see in Europe). The drapes are fading around the edges. The television is small. Book early for the Dungeon Restaurant - it books up quickly. The Orangery, which was a new addition since the last time I was there, was very nice with a lovely view. Menu is a little sparse and more frou-frou than it should be - but was very good. Breakfast was excellent. Service was impeccable and friendly. As there were weddings going on all weekend and a football game being watched in the room - I wanted a quiet place to read and one of the staff showed me to a more private salon. Just what I needed. We had a surprise visit by one of their ghosts one evening which was pretty exciting. The only real negative thing I can say is that they had a fire drill about 1 a.m. - at least that's what I think it was as there was no fire. They could have done that a little earlier. However, if there is a fire - you'll hear the alarm - it goes off really loud. I don't think I've dressed that quickly in my life. There are quite a few stairs around 50 to the room so book on the lower floors if that's a problem for you. Fresh flowers in the room would have been a nice touch. Paying $500 a night - you'd think they'd have fresh flowers in your room. All in all, I'd stay here again. But, I'll wait till the dollar is a little stronger against the pound.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

This is more than a hotel, its a castle and from the minute you arrive the feeling of being transported back in time is with you. I could almost imagine myself in all the costumes of the time. We stayed in the dalhousie room ( a themed room £255 bb booked direct with hotel). It was well worth the extra money. The dalhousie room is circular and actually in the tower. The view from the narrow slatted windows was amazing. the room is linked through a long passageway that leads to a bathroom, again very nice. We had our evening meal in the dundgeon (fabulous) Only down side if i was being picky was we ordered breakfast for 8.30am in the room and it was after 9am when it arrived. But for a truly magical experience a would certainly reccomend it.

Stayed September 2005
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2005

I stayed for one night at Dalhousie. It was fabulous. The castle is absolutely enchanting. My family had two rooms-- both were spacious and beautiful. The bathroom was especially nice. I really felt like it was good value for the money in comparison to what we paid for the Holiday Inn Express in Edinburgh. The front desk was helpful and the porter was great. He really has a job carrying luggage up all those stairs. The food at the Orangery was very good, as was the room service. I had a massage that was the weakest massage I have every had. She didn't even massage my feet. My aunt said her pedicure and facial weren't very good either. It was terrible value for the money. That was my only complaint about the whole visit. Everything else was awesome.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!