“4 Cheese Heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Description: Mediterranean style , intimate environment and warm atmosphere
Manchester
“4 Cheese Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

It had been quite some time since I last visited this venue and was looking forward to sampling a 'Four Cheese Pizza'. Upon arriving at the restaurant I was greeted by the staff and to my left was a menu/price list which was well presented and easy to read, but alas, no 4 cheese pizza! I decided to take this matter up with the chef.

Now, one of my pet hates in restaurants and take-aways is when the venue claims to be a certain nationality but isn't. I stress that this is NOT the case at Antonello's. I asked the chef for a 'Quattro Formaggio' (4 Cheese) and he instantly knew what I was looking for. The chef was also more than happy to explain to me what cheeses would be on my pizza.

In the midst of waiting for my food. I noticed a stream of women entering the restaurant. I regard this as a true testament to the popularity of the establishment. These women where not there just to look at the dashing chefs!

After a short while my family size pizza had arrived. It was piping hot, just the way I like it. The cheeses on the pizza combined for a true taste sensation. The thin base was cooked just right and I had no problem finishing it. I wanted it to last forever.

I will be visiting this hotbed of Italian cuisine again. Next time I will go to the restaurant and take advantage of the £4.95 pizza/pasta deal.

Visited February 2014

Preston, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I love the food here it is amazing. The half half garlic bread (half tomato half cheese) is a great idea when you cant make your mind up. Funghi ripeni is delicious and could be even better with a bit of melted cheese on. Always come piping hot and I burn my tongue as I can't wait to eat them! Always have the tortellini pastichiatti. Massive portion even when it's the any pizza/pasta deal. I've only ever had room for dessert once and had the profiterols which were a good size with choc sauce. I've had takeaway pizza a few times, nice sauce and dough and the Romano is my favourite! Owner can be rude and grumpy and shout a fair bit but if you smile and are polite to him he is back!

Preston, United Kingdom
“Brilliant experience ...lovely staff....best meal ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have been coming to antonellos for years and organised a meal for six friends. It was served by kind and considerate staff and the meal was prompt and delicious. I have never had a problem with the owner as some of the reviews indicate in fact he is very hospitable and joined our table to ask how we had enjoyed our meal at the end of the night. I WOULD HIGHLY RECCOMEND this cosy italian restaurant to anyone.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Appalling Customer Service. Owner needs to go on a training course on how to deal with people.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

In a nut shell we ordered a pizza collected it and it was wrong. It happens. Rang up to advise and was told to come and collect the right one. Arrived at the establishment to be greeted by the owner in rude/abrupt manor who asked me where the incorrect Pizza was? To which i replied I'd disposed of it. This was met with you're lying ! (This comes from a chap I've handed good money over to for the best part of 3 years) Fair to say i was quite taken back by this accusation and advised him that as a hard working family person i had no reason to lie about a £7 pizza. I had after all driven there twice as a result of their gross incompetence but didn't want to take issue with this. Despite my protests I'm deeply disappointed my integrity has been questioned. The correct pizza and little apology would not have led to this.

Avoid this place until customer training has been given.

I'd award half a circle but it does not allow you to!

PS its your fault when they give you the wrong pizza.

• Visited December 2013
Antonellos1987, Owner at Antonello's, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
An important detail that you left out from your article is that the owner, although well within his rights not to do so, refunded you. He also did not say that you were lying, but said that he was unaware of the mistake made and wanted the evidence- the wrong pizza- to be returned so that he could make another one or/and refund you. This is standard trading law, otherwise there wouldn't be a system of returning goods that have already been accepted.Saying that you have disposed of a product is not enough evidence to demand refunds. The many customers who witnessed your behaviour openly sympathised with the owner agreeing that it was wrong to come back empty handed demanding refunds.

As an example, if you were to buy a product from say Tesco, and take it home to find that it was faulty, but then return to the store without your product, saying that you'd thrown it away but you want your money back, what do you think the response would be? Would they take your word for it without evidence? Would saying that you are a family person be enough evidence?
It is interesting that when you said that you ordered a pizza and collected it and it was wrong you firstly said "it happens", as if you accept that people are imperfect and that mistakes happen, but then went on to call it gross incompetance. Well, we are sorry for mistakes that we may uncommonly make, and we told you that we were sorry for what may have been our mistake in your case over the phone before you returned in an angry mood.

You also said that you have handed good money to the owner for the best part of three years. We are very grateful to all our customers for buying our products. What I would like to say is that, we try to offer the best that we can practically give for the money that people give us, just like in any avenue of good business. You haven't handed good money as a gift for nothing in return. You have handed it for something in return, and for a good return apparently, as you have been coming to Antonello's for "years". Our customer care skills mustn't have been so bad "for the best part of 3 years".
Although you brought no evidence of our apparent mistake, you were not satisfied with your refund . You called the owner whilst he was busy and proceeded to use threatening language; You said: "You don't know who I am!" "I am going to ruin you!" "I am going to go on the internet and spread stories about you!" Antonello's has been going since 1987. Twisted stories and slander will not ruin what Antonello has worked hard for for the best part of 27 years.
Preston
“Poor service, poor food, never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I took my partner out for a meal here because it used to be a cheap and cheerful place to grab a quick bite. However, the prices have gone up and the only thing worse than the quality of the food was the service. My partner asked for a "glass of water" (quite clearly just wanting tap water) and was brought a £2 bottle of water which we couldn't send back because it was open. In addition to this, I have a bad dairy allergy so I ordered the olives and houmous. However, because I couldn't eat the garlic bread I asked for just some normal bread to dip in the houmous. They told me that they "don't do bread". No bread in a restaurant? No breadsticks in an Italian restaurant? I wanted to explain that the main ingredient in garlic bread is bread, but didn't want to confuse the staff. I tried to alter my order to take out simple ingredients that I couldn't eat and was told it wasn't possible. The icing on the cake was my partner's starter- the mussels. Several were unopened, many were cracked and the whole thing smelt fishier than Captain Birdseye's underpants. I fear the worst for her digestion, tomorrow morning is now looming for her like a dark cloud.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Antonellos1987, Manager at Antonello's, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
It would appear to me from your article that you have set your heart on not liking this place at all costs. For you, everything was wrong at Antonello's. I am not sure why you never raised any of your issues with us at the time for us to be made aware of our apparent shortcomings.
As respects our prices, by modern day standards, and in comparison to many other places, we endeavour to offer very reasonable prices for fine food. Anyone reading this article please take a look at our website to make your own conclusions about our prices.
We are sorry if you wanted tap water but were given mineral water. Maybe you could have been more specific by saying that you wanted tap water, but we're sorry for the misunderstanding nonetheless.
You were aggrieved that you didn't get bread rather than garlic bread with the hummus. It may be that by saying "normal bread", the waiter or waitress may have imagined the bread you buy from a shop. We don't sell sliced bread or other bread you buy in shops. If you had specified that you wanted the pizza bread minus the garlic and not said “normal bread” I'm sure that we would have done that for you. I don't know how you wanted to alter your order to take out simple ingredients that you couldn't eat, but if it is that we couldn't do it, it may have just unfortunately been that way. For example, we pre- prepare pate but once it's made we can't take out any cream that has already gone into it. There are other things that we do of which we would happily take out ingredients to cater for your needs.
With reference to the mussels, if what you’re saying were true, then why, oh why did your partner not bring the problem to our attention? Why did your partner eat the mussels so that now you "fear the worst for her digestion"? It seems that you have looked for "icing on the cake" in your story. No one would eat unopened and cracked mussels and not complain. Finally, should somebody who fantasises about what Captain Birdseye's underpants may smell like whilst at the same time expecting mussels to not smell anything like the sea where fish dwell be trusted to write an honest article about a humble family restaurant like Antonello's?