“Top class food, best cafe in West Kirby” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 41 restaurants in West Kirby
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: Aubergine is a warm and friendly café situated on a quiet pedestrianised side street just off The Crescent, West Kirby. We offer good food with friendly service and excellent prices.
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“Top class food, best cafe in West Kirby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have visited Aubergine several times and I thought it was about time I left a review.

The food cannot be faulted: freshly prepared, tasty, and a good choice. I usually go for the soup-and-sandwich combo and I am never failed to be impressed by the tastiness of both. I can also highly recommend the Greek salad which is better than any I've ever had in a Greek restaurant. The cappuccinos are frothy and lovely and I have it on good authority from my children that the cakes and hot chocolate are delicious.

On the subject of children, I find the chef very child-friendly. He always ensures my very small daughter gets a 'tiger' or a 'monkey' plate, which she loves, and when he is speaking to her he kneels down to her level. These small details make all the difference. They don't have a specific children's menu but they will gladly provide a small portion of whatever my children fancy off the menu, for about half the price.

I love the decor in Aubergine - it is very homely and cosy, and is the perfect place to go for a hot meal and/or drink after a bracing walk. It is very individual - I don't know any other cafe like it in Wirral, and it makes a pleasant change from the usual chains.

The only reason Aubergine doesn't get five stars from me is that whenever we walk in there, the waiting-on staff kind of look like we'd just walk straight back out again. I know they must be busy (the cafe is always more full than it is empty, at least on the occasions we have been) but I just always get the impression that they're like 'oh no, here we go again...' I can appreciate how hard they work, having worked myself for many years in busy pubs, but if they could at least smile when we walk in and say something like 'I'll be with you in a minute' that'd make a huge difference. The first time we were there I didn't think they'd noticed we'd come in and we just sort of hovered in the doorway. When it became clear that the idea was to just find ourselves a table, that;s what we did - but then it wasn't clear whether they come to the table to serve you, or whether you go up to the counter. As there wasn't a menu on our table, I took the initiative and went up to the counter, only to be told rather exasperatedly by a blonde, bespectacled middle-aged woman to return to my table and that she would be with us in a moment. Now, of course, we know the protocol, but I can see this being off-putting to new customers.

In summary - the service when greeting customers could be improved, but this is redeemed by the incredibly friendly, amiable chef (proprietor?) who always, without fail, takes the time to come to our table midway through our meal to make sure everything is ok with our food (and it always is). It is the quality of the food, and the personal touch provided by the chef/proprietor, which keeps us going back to Aubergine again and again. Long may it continue.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
Wirral
“Nice food and average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Food is nice but sandwiches nothing special. Cakes are lovely and all look and taste homemade. The individual china crockery used is lovely and the place has quite an individual eccentric feel to it. However, we waited quite a long time to get served so for lunchtime it was a case of having to bolt the food because it took so long to get it.

Visited January 2013
Andrew M, Owner at Aubergine Cafe, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
I see this is your second review of our cafe, thank you for both.

We recently saw a job advert in a local paper for a vacancy at a well known national food establishment. The vacancy was not for a chef, nor a cook, but for a 'microwave technician'; somebody who sticks pre-prepared food into a microwave and a few minutes later is able to deliver the food to the customer in no time at all.

Even at the risk of receiving poor reviews for customers who have had to wait for their food, we do not feel we should offer anything but freshly prepared food.

All of our food is freshly prepared to order but the disadvantage to this is that orders can take a little longer especially if the chefs are under pressure when the kitchen is busy.

I note from your previous review that you stated "Its lovely and the food is always good and it is very reasonably priced", I'm sorry if on this occasion our sandwiches didn't live up to your previous experience.

I hope you will give us another visit and that your next visit lives up to all expectations!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Excellent breakfasts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Huge English breakfast with toast was much appreciated - with gallons of hot tea. Had to be walked off by a hike round the nearly marine lake wall.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Aubergine is a must when we are in West Kirby and never fails to delight; the soup thick, tasty and very home made, the bacon, brie and cranberry gorgeous. Great atmosphere and friendly staff.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West Kirby, United Kingdom
“Hog Roast With Homemade Coldslaw- Yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Great little find. Very quaint, small but strong menu. Food excellent and pleasant service. Two good size full lunch meals with tea and coffee £17.00 so not cheap but very good quality.

Would absolutely return.