“Appalling customer service” 1 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Passage House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hackney Lane, Kingsteignton TQ12 3QH, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kingsteignton
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Appalling customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We checked availability for our chosen dates prior to buying a groupon deal, yet when we tried to book it we were told no rooms were available for groupon due to the restaurant being fully booked. In fact our chosen dates are still available to book on line at the full price rate with absolutely no mention of limited dining options. After speaking directly to the hotel we also tried their customer service line in the hope of extending the voucher or maybe even taking the two day break without the 3 course meal included(which seems to be the problem) we were promptly told to take this up with the hotel as best western are a large chain with very little input in the day to day running of individual hotels. We were directed to speak with Carly Warren who again reiterated "COMPUTER SAYS NO" it seems groupon equates to second class citizen which is a shame considering we have stayed there before & enjoyed it, in fact we also have a best western loyalty card!!!! Ironic really as we will never use them again. Over all VERY DISAPPOINTING. No effort was made by management to resolve this issue which in my opinion is appalling customer service

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for your review.

The Group on advert does say subject to availability and we/ Groupon advise to check the availability prior to purchasing the voucher. By phoning the hotel prior to purchasing the voucher we will be able to advise you of the availability on your requested dates.

I would like to advise you that the most popular days for guests to book their Group on deals are the weekends.

We have an allocation of rooms for Group on to ensure that we do not upset our regular guests or guests who have events at the hotel such as Weddings, by not being able to accommodate them.

If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to contact me on 01626 355515

Carley Warren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just back from a weekend at the Passage House Hotel, on a groupon voucher.
The rooms were fine, although the bed was quite small. All very clean.
The bathrooms could do with updating - grey loo, bath and sink, but all clean and working.
We were given a room above the function room on the first night - right above the band... Very very noisy.... However we knew in advance (we heard them practising earlier in the evening) and that the party was due to end at midnight. So we stayed out until then.
There were lots of complaints the next morning about the noise - any of the rooms above the function room were exceptionally noisy... Why doesn't the hotel put people who are attending the function in those rooms???
We were just gearing up to ask for a room move, as we found out there was another function on the second night, when the receptionist rang to ask if we would like to move. Yes please. Our second night was very quiet.
The meal in the restaurant was good, lovely food. It doesn't really feel that restauranty though, it is definitely a hotel dining room rather than a restaurant feel.
Cooked breakfast was nice. Not that much available on the buffet though, and not replenished often enough at busy times (not enough staff?). It took a while to order tea - this could be ordered as you sit down, rather than when you order your hot choice - the first morning I had to wait nearly 20 minutes for a cup of tea.
There is a lovely sunny room on the verandah looking out over beautiful views of the river estuary - worth relaxing in there for a while.

The leisure suite is disappointing, especially the gym, which is a tiny room with a few machines and a small room off it with a few weights. The pool is ok, if small. But a shame that the sauna and steam rooms are within the changing rooms - so you can't sit in a steam room with your partner and chat. You have to steam separately.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well away from the function venue!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay and if you would like to discuss this further please feel free to contact me on 01626355515

Brixham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Spent a happy weekend here just before Christmas as our first Groupon Deal.
On arrival bulgarian receptionist frankly terrifying so a bit of a wobbly start.
Upgraded to a river view room, money really well spent. From here on in all staff very friendly and efficient. The deal included a 3 course meal on first night and we were both really impressed.
Breakfast fresh and again far better than expected. All good in fact, recommended.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an Estuary View room if you can.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
First and foremost thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I will look forward to sharing your review to the rest of the team.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Have seen a few of the reviews mentioning issues with groupons and room availability.
I checked room availability on the hotels website for my chosen date, found availability so duly purchased my groupon.
On ringing the hotel to book for a weekend stay, I was informed that they had no availability whatsoever over any weekend until the end of march, which coincidentally was when the offer to use the groupon voucher expired, I subsequently rechecked availability on the hotels own website in case I had made a mistake the first time, but no! once again I was offered a veritable plethora of rooms in almost any configuration possible even offering a choice of paying extra for a river view.
The moral of my story is buy your groupon for this hotel at your peril, it would seem you are most welcome to stay if you book directly and pay the hotels normal rates......but groupon....sorry fully booked!

Couldn't rate any of the service levels etc as never got to stay there!

Room Tip: Good luck on actually getting a room!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and myself spent three nights here in January 2013. The hotel is set right on the banks of the river and there are picturesque views across the estuary. The first thing that struck me was how clean everything was, the bar area, restaurant and bedrooms were spotless. Its a nice modern place with a large conservatory on the back where you can sit and read your paper on a morning or book during the day. The restaurant food was great and the meals were all well presented and hot. I had steak in red wine sauce on night one, grilled plaice in ginger on night two and loin of pork on night three and you just could not fault the quality of food or the service provided by the waiting staff. The breakfasts were of a similar standard and it was a real pleasure to have stayed there. They also have a pool and Gym area but we did not use these.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 201 which is quite large with a King bed and a view of the estuary. It is also very c...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review.

I am so happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay.

I hope that we can welcome you back again soon

plymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at the Passage House Hotel for a birthday treat that my partner booked for us. I have to say that I was really impressed, having never stayed in a Best Western before. We were very impressed on arrival and had a guided tour by Victoria who was very attentive and helped recommend a trip out from the hotel to a nearby attraction - The House Of Marbles which kept the little one amused. I always worry a little when we take our 2 year old anywhere but we were made to feel very welcome. In fact all the staff were very helpful throughout our stay. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant and that was freshly cooked, rather than a buffet/hot plate like so many other hotels do. They have a pub around the corner which I'm guessing is part of the hotel as you can charge your bill back by showing your room key. We all had a lovely meal there and I can highly recommend the baked camembert and fish pie :-)
They have a pool and gym within the hotel. I only used the pool, so I cannot comment on the gym although it looked very adequate. My little one loved the pool. I also had a treatment booked in the spa which was heavenly!
Our room surpassed expectations - we were in the Kingfisher room with views over the Estuary. I can imagine its lovely in the summer there. We fully intend to return in a few months to make the most of that balcony!

Room Tip: Upgrade to an Estuary view - its well worth it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

It gave me great pleasure to read your review, and I will look forward to sharing your review to the rest of the team, including our Housekeeping Manager Victoria.

I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Kindest Regards

bideford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Decided to take a short Winter break at the hotel as it had been so good on a previous stay. I was not disappointed as again the staff were courteous and attentive, the leisure facilities were all available and we had the pool to ourselves on three occasions, the food was very good and the room, this time in the main building, was clean and very comfortable.The only small downside was that the internet connection in the room was broken.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the hotel.

I do hope that we can welcome you back again

Carley Warren

Been to BEST WESTERN Passage House Hotel? Share your experiences!