“An Aviators Point Of View” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Duxford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: IWM Duxford tells the story of the impact of aviation on the nature of war and on people's lives. Set within Britain's best-preserved Second World War fighter station, seven impressive hangars filled with extraordinary collections and state-of-the-art exhibitions take you on an unforgettable journey through times of war and peace.
Market Deeping, United Kingdom
97 attraction reviews
“An Aviators Point Of View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Today I flew into Duxford after a relatively short flight from Peterborough in a Piper Arrow that I fly. Had previously flown into Duxford a couple of times over the past thirty years but it had been a while. Obtained my PPR on the phone, very helpful ATC with simple airfield joining instructions. As expected on arrival no delay dispute training flights going on, the runway is superb and very well maintained. Taxied around to the Eastern apron for my parking and was met by an enthusiastic gentleman in the 'mobile, ATC vehicle and armed with maps and helpful advice. Strolled over to the site entrance/shop to pay my landing fee. For the Arrow it was £13.95 which includes two hours admission a bargain. All the staff were very friendly. Had a good look around the exhibits then departed back home ( no traffic jams either!) all in all a great place to visit wether your flying in or driving. I never get bored with the place, so much to see.

Visited January 2014

• Polish first
Letchworth Garden City
16 attraction reviews
“A superb day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

What's to dislike? This is a great museum with a host of special events, flying days etc, that make a great day for the entire family.

Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent customer service - for now”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I took my grandfather to Duxford to see the Spitfire he flew whilst in the RAF. They have a mobility bus which is available to all - but it is a very well kept secret. Luckily a very helpful member of staff saw my grandfather struggling and radioed for the minibus. The driver couldn't have been more enthusiastic or helpful and soon had another amazing member of staff show my grandfather around some spitfires. It was the best day out my grandfather has had for ages.... the minibus driver even found time to take my grandfather around the Mark 24 Spitfire we had come to see....listened intently to his stories and added a few anecdotes of his own. Superb - but astonishingly I also learnt that the museum is outsourcing its visitor service team and many of the dedicated and extraordinarily helpful people will be losing their jobs. Such a shame. Take my advice and go now while they are still there. And don't forget to ask for the minibus as the site is one mile long.

Visited December 2013
Haddenham, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
“Bitter disappointment.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I arrived with American guests on Thursday 2nd January 2014, only to find the museum shut. Unscheduled closure due to storm damage. No mention on the website when I checked on 1st January. Are they saying that all buildings were affected and justified closure of the ENTIRE site? Or is this yet another example of Health and Safety gone mad? A bitter disappointment after a long journey. No, I'll not trouble to go again.

Visited January 2014
Colchester
34 attraction reviews
“Great Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My generation grew up after WW2 but our parents served in it and my Father was in the RAF Bomber Command 9 Squadron so I was quite knowledgeable but fascinated to see this extensive exhibition and massed historic planes. The day was hot and sunny and the extensive hangars and building were easy to walk between ( fair distances) and each one held an amazing wealth of planes and exhibits and information. If you like planes and even if you're not bothered, once you have been around this site you'll find them intriguing. WW2 fighter control room, V1 rocket, every war plane you can imagine from WW1 fighters to Blackbird spy plane. You can take a ride in a historic passenger plane and there seems to be activity everywhere and in my case Spitfire Mk9 taking off and landing.

Kids and Grand Parents are well catered for and I took a packed lunch and drink and could just stop when I wanted. Souvenir shop is extensive and you can find some very interesting item for all ages.

Great day out, well worth the entrance fee and educational too

Visited June 2013