“Lovely grub in a charming olde worlde pub” 5 of 5 stars

Moorfield Road, Duxford CB22 4PP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Duxford B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
“Lovely grub in a charming olde worlde pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed here with Franke the night before our pleasure flight at Duxford. Easy to find and park, staff were charming on arrival and at 6PM the bar was buzzy. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, no old world charm as I had hoped but perfectly fine. The bar was very busy when we went to eat (book if a Friday or Saturday - but apparently if you stay they will reserve for you), might I recommend a pint of Brimstone or Ghastly Ghoul ales, probably Hallowe'en specials. Service was examplary, friendly, charming and efficient. I opted for the tian of crab to start and she the giant mizzed meze. Both very good. My hake special was absolutely superb. My date's steak was well done (as she instructed) which I found pointless but she liked it. The chips were brilliant too. Washed down with a fine Rioja and some other red and a couple of liqueurs and it cam eto just over £100 which I though was pretty good all in all. Breakfast was a great too, massive fry for me with a superb balck pudding and lashings of really good coffee.

Room Tip: There are only 4 or 5 I think but you might want to get one furthest from the back door in the summe...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I stayed here this week as I was working for a company based just up the road. I couldn't fault this place - everything they're doing, they're doing so well. The staff are fantastic, friendly, helpful and very welcoming. Nothing is too much bother for them. My room was spacious, clean quiet and cosy with ensuite facilities.

The restaurant served delicious food which was of the highest quality and locally sourced. I really struggled to make a selection as everything sounded mouthwateringly good. The first night I had the pie of the day which was lamb and rosemary - oh wow! Each mouthful of lamb was so tender and tasty and there was plenty meat in it too - absolute heaven! I had raspberry and nougat semifreddo for dessert and that was equaliy delicious. The full English breakfasts look stunning, I only wish I could eat that much at that time of the day. I tried poached eggs on toast which were cooked to perfection. The bacon sarnies were great too!

The only reason I gave 4/5 for sleep quality was the bed had blankets and I'm a duvet person.

Because the location is quite rural, I couldn't get a signal or use WiFi in my room (Wifi worked in the bar/restaurant), so I had to stand outside to make calls. This is not the John Barleycorn's fault but my mobile providers who apparently have the best signal in the country (nonsense).

It was so nice to stay in a place which is so tradtional and welcoming. I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

booked 2 nights from 2-4oct,i,ve got to say i had a great stay.room clean,staff were friendly and evening meal and breakfast were spot on.if i'm in duxford again i'll have no problem trying to book the john barleycorn agian.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
West Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Have just returned from a one night stay at The John Barleycorn and I must say I was a little aprehensive after having read some of the previous reviews and at one point even thought of cancelling my booking. Needless to say, I am glad that I didn't.
We thoroughly enjoyed our night there. We were greeted by very friendly staff and showed to our room, which was in a separate little block, with it's own front door (one of Four rooms). The room was as previous reviewers stated 'a little dark' but once we put the main light, the two bedside lamps and desk lamp on, it wasn't quite so bad, still could have done with it a bit brighter though.
The room itself was clean and comfortable, and the ensuite bathroom was clean with adequate towels and toiletries for both of us. The shower was basic but fully functional and the water nice and hot. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room, which we struggled to find at first, and then found in the bottom drawer of the bedside cabinet! There was also a trouser press and hairdryer in the room. We found the bed to be extremely comfortable (there were spare pillows in the wardrobe) and both slept well.
We chose to dine in the pub and our meal was very tasty and nicely cooked, as was the dessert.
Breakast again was excellent, with cereals and toast and we opted for a full breakfast which consisted of bacon, sausage, eggs, baked beans, mushrooms and blackpudding, all of which were very nice, and washed down nicely with hot tea or coffee and orange juice.
The staff were very friendly and could not do enough for you. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed here with friends after chili tasting nearby. The rooms were adorable. Very old fashioned but had all the modern features you could want. The whole pub is beautiful and we were so impressed when we arrived.
It was easy to book and Bernard was very welcoming. We had dinner in the pub on the saturday night and the food was excellent. Although we stayed in the pub till after closing time, nobody rushed us at all.
The breakfast was great, and again, the staff were attentive but not pushy or rushed. They could not have done more for us. It was the first time we had stayed in a pub B&B and we will definately be back to this one for another visit.
I would thouroughly recommend this pub accomodation. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

For ages we'd been promising ourselves a stay in a traditional English pub. No surprise that we opted for the John Barleycorn in the beautiful village of Duxford as our base during a visit to Cambridge. Run by Bernard Lee who came out of retirement to reopen the 350 year old Inn, the place impressed us from the start. Lovely beers and ales, great food (a huge hit with the locals, the sure sign of a great eatery). The freshly-cooked breakfasts truly set us up for the day and after touring Cambridgeshire we always looked forward to relaxing that evening with a local ale before a scrumptious evening meal. All the cosy rooms are named after a WWll flying ace - a nod to its RAF heritage. While we enjoyed the pub's beer garden, bustling with customers during the annual Duxford Air Show, this charming inn would be equally delightful in mid winter. Highly recommended!
We nearly forgot to mention: this gorgeous village is only 10 minutes drive from Cambridge city centre.
Robert Mullan Liz Russell www.robertmullan.com

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Over 45 minutes wait for food once we had ordered when it was not very busy. Food was very poor and expensive, chefs homemade pie was a ceramic dish a pastry top and a load of gravy with one or two small pieces of meat. Did not stop for dessert. This is pub food at it's worst.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to The John Barleycorn? Share your experiences!