“Quite pleasant hotel - good value” 3 of 5 stars

Duxford Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ickleton Rd, Duxford CB22 4RT, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Duxford
Dorset
“Quite pleasant hotel - good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

The rooms were as you would expect from a hotel in this price range - nothing special, but clean and comfortable. The floorboards above creak constantly, and you can hear every movement of the inhabitants.The staff are pleasant and helpful and the grounds are very nice. Didn't eat dinner in the restaurant, but the cooked breakfasts were too greasy and not very hot. Overall this is satisfactory for the rate we paid (booked on Booking.com) and I would probably stay there again if I was in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I had a great time in this privately run hotel.
I would highly recommend this.

Rooms:
The rooms are great. You get Freeview TV and the mattresses are nice and soft.
The bathroom is really nice and everything worked!!
They do not have lifts as this is a traditional English building. I loved its charm and the rooms are more then large enough.

They provide you with a portable air con unit. However, we didnt need it. Also, the windows open out fully as well.

Big Plus - they had free wi-fi. So make sure you take you iPhone/laptop along.

Location:
This place is around 15mins from Cambridge City Centre. I travelled by car and they have a large car park. I'm not sure on the public transport links.

Garden:
They have a great garden you can sit in and use to read books/magazines, etc.

Breakfast:
This is included in the price and they make for you fresh.
I really liked the breakfast. Much better then your traditional buffett.

Staff:
The staff are great. I mainly dealt with the lovely ladies in reception. I have never had such a smooth check-in. Everything was ready and waiting.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
East Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

I travel to Cambridge a number of times each year on business and I am becoming increasingly disenchanted by the excessive rates charged by the city hotels (you can stay in the centre of Venice for less than half the price of some of the Cambridge hotels!). Consequently, I have been looking a little further afield and I am delighted to say I have discovered the Duxford Lodge Hotel. What a gem! 15 minutes from Cambridge City Centre and you are in the lovely village of Duxford, only 5 minutes from the Duxford Air Museum. The hotel, once a private house, has a lovely welcoming atmosphere. My room was comfortable with everything I needed for a short to medium stay - freeview TV, en-suite facilities, a nice view over the garden, comfortable bed and pillows, tea/coffee tray, trouser press and plenty of storage space. Above all, it was quiet; something you rarely get in Cambridge city centre. I dined in the La Paradis restaurant and the food was lovely with a lot of locally sourced ingredients. I was pleased to see a number of fish dishes on the menu but, overall, the menu was very varied and very interesting. Similarly, the breakfast was one of the best I have had in the Cambridge area, obviously cooked to order with high quality ingredients. All of this along with friendly, helpful staff means that I will certainly visit this hotel again and recommend it to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Leics
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

We arrived at the hotel to a warm greeting from the reception saff and were directed to our room. There are no lifts in this hotel but there are ground floor rooms if required. There is a large garden laid to lawn with shrubs in the borders and a small seating area for when the weather is warm.
The room looked inviting, if slightly overcrowded with furniture.Colour co-ordinated drapes and bed linen, with a few scatter cushions and a well stocked tea tray.
There was a large bathroom, which unfortunately had a window with no catch, there was the remnants of a broken one still in place.
Adequate supplies of bathroom shower gel, soap and body lotion are provided.
The first problem was trying to fill the kettle, there was just no way this could be done in the room other than use the bathtap. OK I know it is the same water supply but maybe a smaller kettle?
Part of the joy for me when spending a night in a hotel is a shower and then wrapping yourself in a warm fluffy towel or bathrobe, unfortunately the bath towels are adequate for drying you, but not large enough to wrap around you, and no robes are provided.
The large inviting looking bed was FIRM, as in unyeilding! I eventually resorted to attempt to sleep on one of the chairs in the room whilst my husband tossed and turned thoughout the night. All in all not a good night,I do appreciate it must be difficult to have beds that suit everyone but the nights rest was a disaster!
Breakfast was buffet style cereal, fruits and yoghurt with waitress service for toast, a variety of cooked breakfast options and beverages. This was well done with prompt smiling service.
Would I go back or would I recommend to a friend? The answer is probably yes if the hotel has beds with softer mattresses!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

From the moment we arrived for our anniversary weekend, we were made to feel special. The room, overlooking the beautiful garden, was delightful and complete with four-poster bed. The restaurant menu was extensive and our dinner was cooked to perfection. I especially loved the delicious home made ice creams and sorbets. The staff were helpful, courteous and charming and nothing was too much trouble. In fact they even sprinkled some "sparkly heart shaped confetti" onto our restaurant table for our celebration dinner. We will have no hesitation in returning there next year to celebrate our anniversary, but I hope that we will have another "excuse" long before next April.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
rotherham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

Cant really fault the hotel. Room was nice and spacious, bathroom small but adequate. Staff were helpful and friendly. We had an evening meal and breakfast there - both were very good. The hotel has a calm atmosphere - perfect for relaxing. We will visit again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Solihull, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

I spent one night at the hotel after last staying there 15 months ago. The standards are still good. I was allocated a room on the 1st floor, well proportioned with an adequate bathroom.
Reception arrangements were good, the room was clean and the bathroom had been well prepared.
I slept well, breakfast was immaculate, very tasty, well served and presented, fresh and overall excellent.
The hotel is very pleasant, good gardens, ample car parking, and adequate public rooms. The decor is good.
Some gripes...
The entrance hallway is small and cramped (disability entrance is difficult and non-existent to the upper floors), the room was overwarm on arrival and had to be turned down, the handbasin is small with a combination tap too big for the size, the wallpaper behind the bed was coming away from the wall, a ?trouser press? had been taken off the wall and the screws left in position, internet access at £5 per hour is a bit expensive.
OVERALL, I enjoyed the stay and will return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
janetmary-9, manager at Duxford Lodge, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
Although our facilities are not adapted for disabled guests we do have a ramp at the front of the hotel and staff are more than happy to help any guest who needs assistance.
While the bedrooms in the main hotel are not accessible to guests who have difficulty with stairs, we do have 4 garden rooms at ground level.
We have this week completed the first of our refurbished rooms and hope to continue with the others in due course.
We do not charge residents for internet access, either using their own laptop or the hotel computer.

Been to Duxford Lodge? Share your experiences!