“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Three Horseshoes

The Three Horseshoes
You added The Three Horseshoes to your Saves list
The Three Horseshoes
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   10 Main Rd, Drayton Parslow MK17 0JS, England   |
Devon, UK
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Booked to stay here on Boxing Day night as I was visiting family nearby. The booking was made on 14 December. On the morning of Boxing Day I received a phone call from the pub to say that the pub was shut that night, not enough customers. I was asked to telephone when I arrived and someone would meet me to let me in. This was a major disappointment, as I was looking forward to having a beer in the pub that evening before going to bed. If I had been told when I made the booking the pub wasn’t going to be open, I would have gone elsewhere.
However, when I arrived, I received a friendly welcome and upon commenting about the being closed, told I could still have a beer that evening and take it to my room.
I was shown to my room which was in the corner of the building (above the pool table). First impression was very good. Well presented room, luxurious looking bedding, tea and coffee, a few paperbacks on a shelf.
I went out for dinner and when I got back, got hold of the landlord and did indeed get a pint of beer.
The bed turned out to be a cause for concern. When pressed down, I could feel very easily, all the springs in the mattress. I was worried I wasn’t going to get a good nights sleep, though fortunately I did.
It turned out in the morning that the heating doesn’t come on until 8am, so when I woke before that, the room was very cold and took a while to heat up.
My bathroom included a sunken bath and a shower and the shower was fine. However, the bathroom could do with a few DIY jobs being attended to. Not to mention the very large and dusty cobweb suspended over the basin.
I had the cooked breakfast which was OK except they use tinned tomatoes rather than fresh ones and the sausage was obviously left over from the day before and reheated in the microwave.
It was nice to find accommodation so close to where I was visiting, but I wouldn’t say, at £60 for the night, that it represented value for money. It still annoys me that I wasn’t told until the morning of my arrival that the pub wouldn’t be open that night despite having booked nearly two weeks previously.
Have booked at the Furzton Lake Premier Inn for my next visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Elgin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at this truely quirky country pub - no frills but friendly staff and good selection of real ales. Rooms are somewhat small and most have shared bathrooms etc. However, for 2 of our nights we stayed in one of their on-suite double rooms - very comfortable. Did not eat at the pub in the evening, but the breakfast was satisfactory and freshly cooked.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed for two nights at this delightful village pub / B&B.This was a repeat stay as we loved the character of the pub and friendly locals when we stayed last year. Food and accommodation excellent and hosts most welcoming. Proper food, not a gastro pub thank goodness. We will be back!!

Room Tip: Ask for the luxury rooms. Worth the extra.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

My sisters and I stayed 1 night in this old country pub. We had a very warm welcome and though we arrived later than expected the chef was asked to return and cook our evening meal. This was plain but well cooked and the portions were generous. The rooms were small but clean and comfortable, the main drawback was the shared bathroom. The breakfast was not the very best but great value for money. Overall for the very reasonable price it would be hard to beat.

Room Tip: read the reviews
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

we found this hotel on the internet by accident, but what a find . a real old fashioned country pub with oak beams. the rooms are small but comfortable, clean, with tv.we also had an en-suite which had a shower and a bath. the food was very good for a little village pub. this place is about 16 miles from raf halton, which is where we were going. but saying that it did not take us long to get there with the help of a sat-nav,breakfast was included in the room price was excellent freshly cooked as you ordered.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed in the pub for one night on our way from Devon to Norfolk. Sadly we stayed on a Sunday night, which is the one night food isn't served, so we cannot comment on evening meals. The owners were away that weekend but had said on the phone that if they had been there they could have sorted food for us. A couple of locals recommended a Chinese take away that was good in a nearby village, which we successfully found and enjoyed. Drayton Parslow doesn't have any other food outlets itself. It is just a small village.
We were in the ground floor ensuite room adjacent to the pub so had our own access to the street, which was ideal as we had our cockapoo with us. The room was fine, although there was an overpowering smell of air freshener from a plugged in one when we arrived. Soon sorted - we turned it off! The bathroom was an interesting shape but was fine. It would be nice to have a light you can turn on and off while in bed rather than having to get up to do so.
Breakfast was good and we could have it when we wanted. Our dog was allowed in the pub while we had it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Forget Travelodges. Why would you stay in a characterless 'box' when you can come to somewhere like The Three Horseshoes and get a fantastic warm, welcome. The staff, and locals frequenting the bar, were all friendly and extremely helpful. The meals were all of good quality and well priced - breakfast was definitely worth getting out of bed for!!! The garden at the back was the ideal place for a good cold beer and wind down after a hard days work. Next time I'm in the area I shall definitely be staying here. Well done all.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Three Horseshoes? Share your experiences!