“Fantastic bed and breakfast, high quality rooms and friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Durn House

You added Durn House to your Saves list
Durn House
Durn Road, Portsoy AB45 2XT, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Portsoy B&B and Inns
Hampshire
“Fantastic bed and breakfast, high quality rooms and friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I came across this bed and brakefast on Late rooms and it was a real find. It is a historic house that has recently been converted by the owners in to a high quality bed and breakfast. The rooms were huge, the owners very friendly and they served a great breakfast in the morning. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
durnhouse, Owner at Durn House, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Many thanks for your generous review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always appreciate any review posted by business travellers and we hope that you will stay with us on your next trip to the area. We find that the business fraternity enjoy the peace and quiet that the house offers in addition to our free WiFi facilities enabling Guests to keep in touch.

We look forward to greeting you again soon

John and Sandra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
kvitsoy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

We found a rare and wonderful place, taking care of old traditions.The beds, the breakfast were so good. The first evening we had a very nice buffet for 25 persons with scottish specialities. the hospitality of the hosts were so great and very generous.
We really want to come again.

Greetings from members of the Norwegian group, Hyttetu men`s choir.

• Stayed June 2010
durnhouse, Owner at Durn House, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Many thanks for your most gracious review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. The evening reception for your overall party was a magical affair made all the better by the wonderful music and singing. We are always pleased to welcome our overseas visitors and we hope that Portsoy proved to be popular with all of you.

We look forward to seeing you all again in the near future.

PERTH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

Just found a little piece of heaven. Very comfortable room super king size bed and the luxury of a feather pillow. The food was excellent and sevice great all made possible by our superb host's John and Sandra. The icing on the cake was the Boat Festival.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
durnhouse, Owner at Durn House, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our House. The Boat Festival is always an exciting time and as you appreciated we are near enough to enjoy the festivities yet secluded enough to be able to enjoy some peace and quiet.

We do hope that you will visit us again soon.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

Being a typical Londoner, Im ashamed to say that while I have travelled widely in the world, I have never been to Scotland before(!) I went to visit an old friend who i hadnt seen for many years and for the sake of convenience I booked into a B n B- Durn house. The plan was to spend most of the time with my friend and use Durn House just to sleep. I was expecting the usual dreary slightly depressing air usually found in these places, along with the nylong bedspreads and dreaded heart attack inducing greasy fry up breakfast.

I couldnt have got it more wrong!

Durn House ended up exceeding all my expectations. You drive along this long long lane and suddenly you see it behind the wrought iron gates! Dogs come bouncing to welcome you and the aroma of homecooking fills the air. All around the grounds you see lush lovely countryside. It was really like a fictional fairy castle, yet with the most amazing decor (sheets by Design Guild, wallpaper from Timorous Beasties), a games room with a fully stocked cocktail cabinet, full internet access, fresh fruit and gorgeous pastries for breakfast , fantastic shower and really comfortable bed. (I didnt just have an ensuite bathroom I actually had my own lounge!!)

However this is the not main reason i am writing this review. The people who run this wonderful establishment was just the nicest people you could hope to meet! They are Sandra and John,and Durn House is basically their home, into which they welcome you with such warmth and hospitality, that you forget you are in a b n b. Several nights when I got in after seeing my friend, Sandra and John invited me into their lovely sitting room for a dram or two,and we ended up talking till the small wee hours. On my last day, they even fed me dinner (Sandra is a great cook by the way--bonus) AND drove me to the nearest train station so I could get to Aberdeen for 8pm to catch my sleeper to London! the alternative would have been to go into aberdeen by bus in the afternoon and hang around for five or six hours! Now thats what I call going beyond the call of duty:)

I had never heard of Portsoy before but the enthusiasm with which the owners talk about the place, the history, the significance as well as the various places of interest close by (the Cairngorms, the coastline, the harbour, Balmoral etc) made me determine to come back to Portsoy, just for a short break, just to stay there again! It's not just the building, which is gorgeous, or the decor and the grub which is terrific but the people who run Durn house Sandra and John that actually makes it for me. They are friendly, helpful and at the same time they dont crowd you, they let you do your own thing! Thanks a lot guys, I'll be back!

PS Check out the Homemade Portsoy icecream on the high street! To die for.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
durnhouse, Owner at Durn House, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
We are very grateful for your kind words and we appreciate the effort taken in posting this flattering review. We try our best to give every visitor to our Home a memorable experience and we hope that you will consider paying us another visit in the not too distant future. As we say in Scotland - Haste Ye Back
Teesdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

Durn House is elegantly furnished throughout.
Really warm and friendly welcome (with fresh coffee and muffins).
En-suite bedroom very tastefully decorated and spacious.
Wonderful breakfast (ask about the kippers).
We took advantage of the residents lounge and billiards room.
The owners found information and details of local walks and places for us to visit.
Happy stay

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
durnhouse, Owner at Durn House, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
We really appreciate your kind words and the time taken to offer a review of Durn House. We are delighted that you enjoyed the Gentlemans Club and all of the facilities that we offer all Guests to our House. It was a pleasure to have you stay and we hope to see you again soon. Haste Ye Back

Been to Durn House? Share your experiences!