“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Incles
Hertfordshire
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Got back from Andorra yesterday morning and already missing the slopes. We stayed in the Euro Esqui and had a great time. I can see why some may not have liked it; people often hold high standards that far exceed the price they pay. Of course, everyone's experiences will differ but there were 6 of us and we weren't disappointed.

Firstly, on the downside, the food was a bit hit and miss. It's a buffet with plenty of choice, and on the last night it was delicious but most of the time it was average. That said, I'm a seriously fussy eater and there was plenty to keep me from slipping into a hypo-glycaemic hunger rage. The wi-fi in the public areas was pretty rubbish. The router was obviously over loaded as it only really kicked in properly while I was waiting for the coach to the airport at 4am on the last morning when most other guests were sleeping. Also, I quite fancied a swim one evening but they have a rule whereby you have to wear a stupid swimming cap, though apparently this is fairly common. It did mean I didn't get to use the pool though as I refused to pay 3 Euros for something that makes me look stupid and that I have no intention of wearing ever again.

That was pretty much it for my gripes.

The complimentary shuttle bus from the hotel to the nearby El Tarter gondola was fantastic. The lockers were big enough for 2 snowboards or 2 sets of skis as well as 2 pairs or boots. There is a small ski shop actually in the hotel so I was able to drop my board off for a quick service as soon as I arrived so I didn't have to go out looking for somewhere. It was reasonably priced and my board was ready to pick up in the morning before jumping on the shuttle bus. My friends also hired all their kit from there, it was incredibly convenient.

Rooms were spacious, comfortable and clean. The bathrooms were lovely. Shower was pretty powerful and hot. Nice towels and complimentary soap, bubble bath and shower gel etc. Plenty of wardrobe space and a window that opens properly. The maids did a good job every day, they even folded my pyjamas. I forgot to leave them a tip.

Location wise it's nice and quite but a little bit in the middle of nowhere, between Soldeu itself and the El Tarter gondola, so it depends whether you want easy access to bars and restaurants. The road down to the gondola is treacherous so, although technically walkable, I'd advise you wait for the shuttle.

Soldeu is maybe a 15 - 20 minute walk up what our rep dubbed 'cardiac hill', or a short 1.80 Euro bus ride from the stop outside the hotel next-door. It doesn't take too long to walk back down though.

The reception staff speak very good English and were all very helpful.

In short I, and the rest of my party, really enjoyed staying at the Euro Esqui. It was excellent value for money and I wouldn't be averse to staying there again.

Room Tip: If you have a room high up then you're winning. We were on the first floor and the noise from t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We too don't know what some people are moaning about! We're recently back from wonderful snow conditions and an excellent week in the Euro Esqui Hotel where we had a large, quiet room with mountain view, comfortable beds and everything spotlessly clean. Breakfast and dinner were buffet style with a wide choice of food, including interesting local fare as well as more predictable dishes for the less adventurous and ever hungry youth. Jose and his team of dining room staff did a superb job, especially considering that on occasions there were 300+ diners during the course of the evening. Wine prices are reasonable, and yes, we also drank the tap water without any ill effects whatsoever!
The pool and spa area are free if you book through Neilson, although quite crowded and very highly chlorinated.

The free shuttle bus to and from the El Tarter lifts ran like clockwork. Ski hire done through the shop in the hotel basement worked fine and equipment quality was excellent.

A large hotel which manages to maintain a friendly and informal atmosphere, and where efforts to speak Spanish are warmly appreciated. We found the staff courteous, friendly and helpful beyond the call of duty. And all very good value for money. We'll certainly be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Scunthorpe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

What is everyone complaining about? We stayed here last week. From the review below the pool is free if you book with crystal it's open from 5 to 9 daily we were told if we wanted to use the pool etc during the day give them 2 hours notice. Myself, son aged 4 and husband drank the tap water all week are we were all fine.

The food:-

Breakfast there is a wide choice pastries, meats, English cooked breakfast, cereals, fruit, bread and yogurts. They could do with another coffee machine, to stop the queuing.

Evening meal, there is a big choice of dishes. There is a large salad buffet, pasta dishes with a choice of 3 sauces, fish dishes, meat dishes paella, vegetables and of course chips for all the non adventuress brits and a selection of deserts.

The rooms:- our room had 3 made up bed and a sofa in it. It definitely was not small.

The ski mini bus:-there a 2 mini buses that run back and forth from 9 to 1 and then 230 to 5 each day, we caught the bus between 9 and 930 each morning and didn't have to wait. I would recommend this hotel and would return.

• Stayed January 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

we just got back (19/1/14) from this hotel after a week of skiing.

ROOMS
ok so the hotel is clean ish but not a 4 star standard walls in our room full of black marks
bed sheet never changed all week not great :/
no fresh towels own med week we got fresh one's.
our toilet wasn't working so we asked them to fix it in the morning came back from skiing all day still not fix asked again they said they'd send someone up no one came went down again later that night ask again so they sent the cleaner up how to fix the toilet. so we had to fix the toilet yourself after this as no one would fix it for us not great.
the rooms are small we paid less for a 3 star last year which had a bigger room.
they also need new windows as all you can hear is the river all night long.
ok so the room are warm but not boiling like most say.
beds are ok but 1 pillow really YES!!!

FOOD
the breakfast is all you can eat they have most things as normal.

the evening meal was warm and ok filled the space after skiing.

BAR
the bar was ok 3.50 euro a pint same in all bars apart from the one Irish bar where its 4 euro's!
won't eat the food at the bar at the hotel looks bad!!

POOL AND GYM
the pool and gym are NOT FREE!!!! 3.50 euro's a day to use them. not great but we are still waiting to hear from neilson as when we booked the pool was meant to be included.
only open from 7pm till 9pm to if you fancy a swim in a day you can't.
we went down and the pool was full and I mean full the pool is small.
gym area out dated.

STAFF
all the cleaners are friendly helpful. bar staff are ok but look so unhappy. waiting staff down stairs are not happy at all and just want you in and out as quickly as possible.

SKI LOCKS
are ok but I would take your own lock if you have your own ski's!!! padlocks like Christmas cracker ones!

SKI HIRE
my girlfriend hire and it was a nightmare have fun with this.

BUS
the ski bus are great nice friendly driver very helpful.

SKI AREA
great no problems up there :)

sorry I forgot to say don't drink the tap water I wasn't well and I find out it was the tape water even tho I only used it for brushing my teeth! :/

so I put at a 3 star I was going to put 2 but we blamed neilson for some of the bad thing! (we are still waiting to hear back from neilson tho) so we put it at 3.

Room Tip: don't have room 308!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Skiing we had was fantastic but.....although room we had was cosy and cleaned spotlessly every day it stank of sewerage and was breathtakingly overheated. Being a gym buddy gutted that most of the dated equipment was broken. In house ski hire facility was an absolute nightmare after an exhausting 4hr transfer....TOTAL PANDEMONIUM with no one available to tell you where you should be queueing and what paperwork was required..it was that hot and packed several people were at breaking point....ALL THAT WAS REQUIRED WAS A FEW NOTICES!!!

Now the FOOD... we as a family truly give anything a bash and never before have ever complained about food. I still feel queasy thinking about the pig swill served to us...it was cold and so substandard we felt truly insulted...John our rep tried to hoodwink us by saying it was standard fayre in Andorra..it wasn't until we visited local city that we saw beautiful..fresh fruit..shiny fish..delicious oastries..heavenly breads at unbelievavly low prices that we realised we'd been totally ROBBED...you couldn't even have a free glass of tap water at the table.

This holiday is so geared towards making money at the Brit's expense.. even at the pool you have to buy a swimming cap yet time after time other nationalities could swim in there without one.

SUCH a shame because with the correct management my one-star rating could have been pushed up to a four.

• Stayed February 2013

Travelers are raving about these Incles hotels

Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We have just returned from a week in Hotel Euro Esqui and I have to say it was fantastic. Warm and clean with some great features that really made our holiday. I will try and give a review based on the different elements to make it as useful as possible.

Location - In between the Soldeu and El Tarter gondolas the hotel is well located. El Tarter gondola is 15 mins walk, do able but not in ski boots. The hotel runs a shuttle to the gondola which is prompt and efficient and takes about 3 minutes. At busy times they run 3 buses, so we never waited long. Public transport is available if you wanted to go the the Soldeu gondola, about a 7 minute drive away. There are other hotels/ bars/ restaurants within couple of minutes walk, and also a petrol station with a well stocked convenience shop.

Hotel - lovely and warm and clean, the hotel is fantastic. The bar is really cosy and homely, the rooms are spacious and some have great views. The additional benefit of having a ski hire shop in the hotel, as well as pool/spa and soft play room made this an ideal choice for us skiing with young kids. A ski locker is provided for a 10€ deposit. The staff are all very friendly and helpful, you really couldn't ask for more.

Food- reading other reviews on here I was seriously worried about this element of the holiday. I travelled with my two young kids, fussy sister and gluten free mum, and I can honestly say no one was disappointed. It's fair to say that some of the food was not much to look at, and could have done with being a bit warmer, but on the most part it was absolutely delicious! Breakfast was the usual continental bread cheese ham etc, plus cereals, yogurts, as well as scrambled and fried eggs and bacon, sausages. Dinner was always a choice of 3-4 different meat/ fish, plus veg and plenty of salad, soup, pasta, paella, plus something more child friendly, nuggets, meatballs, chips etc. I defy anyone not to find something they didn't like, and they even provide a microwave if you want it heating up a bit! I recommend the homemade pesto served up with the pasta every night. Help yourself all you can eat buffet, just what you need after a day on the slopes!

Ski area - perfect for beginners, my six year old was in ski school and had a great time. Just at the top of the El Tarter gondola, it's so easy to get to from this hotel, and there is a large beginners area for when they progress off the nursery slope. A fun themed snow garden gives a good area for them to show off their new skills. All instructors are English speaking, and many of those teaching the very young are actually British themselves. The couple of adults in our party having ski lessons also highly recommended them, and my (intermediate) self and snowboarding husband had more than enough to keep us occupied. The Grandvillaria area must cover at least a quarter of the country and you can ski right across it! We hired a ski locker at the top of the gondola for 10€ per day, well worth it, and you can get it on a daily basis so very flexible.

Downsides - if I had to complain, the rooms are a little too warm, and the air con goes off when you leave the room so it is nearly impossible to cool down. However the windows open, if you don't mind the sound of rushing water as a beautiful mountain river runs right thorough the middle of the hotel. Having to wear a swim hat in the pool is annoying, and quite frankly unnecessary I think. Also watch out for the caca (dog poo), it's everywhere on the pavements outside! See really having to scrape the barrel to find anything wrong.

In short if you have any doubts about going here, don't, it is really fantastic and I would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have better views, but are further from the bar/ restaurant/ ski lockers etc.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in march for a week, the ski resort is amazing. Hotel euro ski whilst 1km away from the slopes offers a free shuttle bus that runs all day from the hotel to the lifts at el tartar. The bus drivers and hotel staff are typical of what you find in Andorra - which are the friendliest, most helpful people you could meet. This was third trip to Andorra and certainly won't be our last. The only downside of the hotel is the hotel pool which was full of kids- there really needs to be a cut off time as some parents allow their kids to run wild, the same for the restaurant would apply- I don't want to eat after some child has pawed all over the food. The food was just ok but for the price we paid we couldn't fault it- remember if its cheap hotel and the facilities are well maintained and spotlessly clean there has to be a downside- usually the food. I would definitely recommend this hotel for any budget travellers - if you like a spotless hotel, close to the slopes, friendly staff, slightly away from the hustle and bustle of the bars and you can put up with average food then this is the spot.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Hotel Euro Esqui? Share your experiences!