This was the second leg of our Feb trip. After Osa, we stayed at Dantica in the Talamanca Mtns. Intention was to finally see the male Queztal. We had a very private cottage with a view of the mountains - it couldn't have been more cozy and romantic. The Dantica restaurant is much more upscale than most places we've stayed - our main objective is usually wildlife. The food was delicious and the staff was lovely. Our first birding tour with Carlos was looking a little grim as he had not sighted any Queztal that morning and was not happy about it at all! But we set out anyway around 1pm along the river and spotted many small species. Then we went closer to the river near a new Quetzal nest and suddenly I saw the female. We viewed her for a few minutes and then the male arrived!! We then spent over an hour photographing and videoing him - it was unprecedented! Carlos was amazed that he stuck around so long - we saw him very close up, on the ground feeding, and on various perches. This was a dream come true! After that, we celebrated with some beer and viewing hummingbirds.
- Also Known As:
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge And Gallery Hotel San Gerardo De Dota
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge And Gallery Hotel
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge Costa Rica/San Gerardo De Dota
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge is an eco-boutique hotel, which was built between 2003 and 2008. Our hotel provides the following facilities; sleeping, restaurant, gallery, trails, tours and relaxing, combining quality and comfort in order to allow you to experience and enjoy the cloud forest in its purest form.The hotel is situated in the valley of San Gerardo de Dota. Inside the Los Santos Forest Reserve, on top of a hill with a breathtaking view and a private reserve that consists of 5 km of walking trails, Dantica is the closest hotel to the newly created Los Quetzales National Park. Nearby you can also find typical restaurants, trails, trout fishing, protected areas, National Parks and the Cerro de la Muerte, with its 3480 meters the second highest point in Costa Rica and with a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean and the volcanoes.The Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge consist of 8 Bungalows with a modern interior design and decorated with typical aspects of the Latin American culture, distributed in 7 Superior bungalows and one Suite, especially designed so you can enjoy contact with nature. All Bungalows have the following facilities: queen-sized beds with goose-feather duvets, Satellite television, ecological chimney working on ethanol, safe deposit box, minibar with fridge, coffee maker with coffee and tea as a courtesy of the hotel, table with chairs and a private terrace. In the bathroom you will find a Jacuzzi, towels, biodegradable soaps and shampoos, and a hair dryer.The 4-person Superior Bungalows have two bedrooms with private bathroom (one with Jacuzzi, one with shower), a terrace and a living room with a fully equipped open kitchen including stove and warm water.Our Deluxe Suite additionally has an additional fireplace working on wood and a private garden with trail in the forest. All our hot water is solar heated. The hotel distinguishes itself by its personalized attention, harmony with nature and respect for the environment. At the restaurant you can enjoy a breakfast, lunch or dinner a la carte. In our beautiful and large gallery you can buy art and handicrafts from Costa Rica and other Latin American countries.We have WIFI high speed internet service, and offer parking lots, playground for children, laundry service and tour packages with a certified bilingual guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld and Tingo so you can book your Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.