This beautiful hotel, nature reserve and spa is located off the PanAmerican Highway, in between San Jose and San Isidro. It is near the end of a steep gravel road leading down to the Savegre River valley, about 10 kms from the highway. The main building houses reception, dining area and bar. The rooms are in small cottages aligned above the main building. Our room was very large, with a queen-size bed and a single bed. There were two comfortable sitting chairs and a large work desk. The bathroom was really two rooms – the shower area being separate. The whole room was clean and well appointed. We had a nice deck area with a nice view of the mountains and forest. The flowerbed in front of our room was a major attraction for numerous hummingbirds. In fact the gardens of the hotel are really beautiful, colourful and well maintained. They attract numerous birds and insects to enjoy. The hotel has trails in the forest. We took one along a creek – it was beautiful.
Being quite isolated, the hotel included all meals in our package. The meals were buffet-style since the hotel was quite full. Breakfast was fine with many choices. Lunches and dinners though were monotonous – essentially the same food for two days. The food was fine but not great. Staff was for the most part friendly. Given how busy the hotel was staff members appeared tired and almost overwhelmed. Service was perfunctory but efficient.
We would certainly recommend this hotel for its beautiful gardens, well appointed cabins and beautifully landscaped grounds. On the way back to the highway we even had the opportunity to see the Resplendent Quetzal – a great sighting. The setting for this hotel is beautiful, peaceful and great for bird watching.
- Also Known As:
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve Hotel
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve And Spa
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve Hotel San Gerardo De Dota
- Savegre Mountain Cartago
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve & Spa Costa Rica/San Gerardo De Dota
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Eighty-nine kilometers (55.3 miles) south of San Jose in a private natural reserve of 400 hectares and just 9 km. (5.5 miles) from Los Quetzales National Park, Hotel Savegre is the ideal starting point for exploring Costa Rica’s magnificent tropical cloud forest in all its beauty. Hotel Savegre’s services are the perfect complement for every nature lover seeking a memorable experience. We offer 41 rooms, bar and restaurant, day spa, conference room, laundry service, shuttle service, tours and related activities, as well as our beautiful gardens and impressive private reserve with its extensive network of trails. Our helpful and genuinely friendly staff are the hotel’s signature feature.The Chacon family, pioneers in the San Gerardo de Dota region have been operating the hotel since its inception and it has always been our utmost aim to provide top-quality service that goes hand in hand with the environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo and Travelocity so you can book your Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.