“WONDERFUL” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Puch
Indiana
“WONDERFUL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

On arrival (by train) my fiancee and I didn't get in until very late, 3 am...We called ahead, and the Inn keeper left a key and a note saying welcome on the front desk. When we woke, we realized we'd overslept thru breakfast...They were more than happy to still serve us, bringing more food than the 2 of us could eat! The next couple of days, they advised us on what to do, what to see. They helped with translation, and even drove us to the Trainstation to save us a taxi fare. Very wonderful, happy, helpful people.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Thai first
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

I have stayed at this inn three times in the last three years. For someone with a car, it is an excellent way to avoid staying in much more expensive Salzburg. I found it to be a good value and a friendly place each time. I must explain that I speak Austian German fluently, and this may have made a difference in how well we were treated, that is, not as "just tourists". The inn has a web site, and it is possible to make sure you get the kind of room you want.

• Liked — A historic inn in a small town, with ample parking
  • Disliked — The dining room may have to be shared with bus tour groups
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

We found this to be a nice hotel outside of Salzburg. We had a rental car and enjoyed the location. We arrived a little later then expected and the manager let me know we were late. It was not our fault we were late. Our flight was delayed into Salzburg. I had let the manager know we were flying in that night and guessed on our arrival time based on the flight information. I would have let him know, but we did not have a cell phone with us. After we got checked in all seemed okay. The manager seemed to be the only one who spoke any English. It does have a lift, which was nice after a long day of travel. The rooms were very nice with a view of an old church out our balcony. We were supposed to have an apartment, but they changed us to 2 double rooms connected by a balcony. I was okay with that. We came down for breakfast late the next morning and the manager did advise the server it was okay. The breakfast room was a nice room with a pleasant breakfast. We did not get to try the restaurant due to there were two different private parties that went on while we were there. Do be aware that the church bells do ring I believe it was twice an hour and there is a roster down the road that woke us each morning at 3:30am. We did sleep with the window open. The bells did not bother me, I rather enjoyed them, but the roster was a bit annoying. It was a nice little hotel. I am not sure I would stay again, just because I found Salzburg to be so beautiful I would like to stay in the city next time.

• Liked — Comfortable room with a nice view
  • Disliked — the rooster
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NY NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2006

I found the pension/hotel to be very unhospitable. My room was located on the third floor and there was no one available to help with my bags. I was led to my room by a waitress from the restaurant as there is rarely management available to assist. I booked and paid for a room with a radio, Sat TV, and phone and I recieved a room with no radio, a dead phone and a TV that muted itself and was suspended from the ceiling with no working remote, so essentially, I had no TV. The staff is extremely aloof and rather busy attending to the restaurant/dining rooms businesss. If you are not fluent in German, do not stay at this hotel as those that do speak English, prefer not to be bothered. Overall, this was the worst European hotel experience for me, and I consider myself a well-traveled person. nilanyc@hotmail.com

• Liked — The location is great
  • Disliked — The unhospitable family
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Gasthof zum Kirchenwirt? Share your experiences!