“The Majestic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Castillo
Majestic Lodge
You added Majestic Lodge to your Saves list
one kilometer west of the school in El Castillo, El Castillo, Arenal Volcano National Park 21009, Costa Rica   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
“The Majestic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Nancy and the crew of the Majestic were fabulous. She has several properties and we stayed at a couple of them. The wood work was outstanding, landscape that made me jealous and staff that were excellent, the little restaurant/bar up the road were perfect location. My kids and family had a blast. FYI power does go out from time to time in Costa Rica and that's just the way it is so be prepared, I had flashlights for my kids just in case. The only problems we had had nothing to do with the Majestic. Both of my kids got sick, one with an ear infection (from our previous trip to the Nicoya Pennisula) and the other with a severe allergic reaction to the local horses requires an epi pen (that we didn't have) on stand by since we were so far from a hospital/clinic. Nancy helped direct on us both which was a lifesaver. She helped with directions and set up to the local attractions, zip lines, mountain tours, horseback riding, serpentarium and fishing. This area is rather remote and GPS really isn't a ton of help, as we are very American and count on our electronics to make things happen. We had a great time. And my younger son wanted to take the resident dog "sayso" home with us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have recently returned from a holiday to Costa Rica and stayed at the Majestic Lodge for 3 nights in the room on the hill called 'Pie in the Sky'.
It was simply wonderful and the best accommodation that I have ever stayed in with fantastic views of Lake Arenal and the volcano.
The room with en-suite was spacious and very comfortable with a front door leading to a balcony with chairs to relax in and enjoy the uninterupted views.
The attention to detail in the construction and layout of the room with adjoining pool was very impressive.
Although a little off the beaten track it is worth the effort negociating the unsealed road even with a standard Toyota Yaris.
You are very close to the Sky Trek, Sky Tram and Sky Walk which should not be missed and is a great experience and good value for money.
I also enjoyed the horseriding to the waterfall on Apaloosan horses which is great fun even if like me you have not been on a horse for several years.
Nancy alongwith her husband, daughter and team at the Majestic are very hardworking, welcoming and helpful in arranging various excursions. It was very convenient having the bar opposite the lodge to relax and enjoy a few beers.
If you are in the area the Majestic Lodge is a great place to stay. Try to book the room called the ' Pie in the Sky' - you will not be disappointed.
Thank you for making my stay so enjoyable.

David M - England

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were initially very upset about the roads to get there but our old 4x4 rental held up just fne and we started driving more comfortably pretty quickly and later on in our trip discovered some truly terrifying roads that make this road look paved. Nancy told us that if you're on a paved road you're not in costa rica which we learned is true. There were a few little authentic places in town that we wouldn't have experienced in the tourist area. The staff works very hard to be as helpful as they can and the personal touch was appreciated. They quickly addressed the one concern we had when our hot water was being finicky and were excellent about getting things we wanted booked for us even on short notice. The private cabina we stayed in was brand new and perfectly clean. I'm fussy about interior design and every part of the cabina and the bnb met my tough standards. We saw our first monkeys - including a baby howler! - on our way to the hotel when we ran into a driving tour that had stopped to look and you can hear them living up to their name and howling away from the majestic.

Room Tip: Pie in the sky isn't advertised yet but should be! There are private cabins on top of the hill a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Spruce Grove, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The was one of the best experience we've had in Costa Rica. The people and service was great.I highly recommend this place. Nice little restaurant called Howlers great food. We were facing the volcano and the lake. Nancy and Zee were fantastic and Wan at the lodge. thanks for a great experience.
Lorraine and Walt Gehring
Alberta Canada

Room Tip: you can rent a single room or a house with 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom
Mount Vernon, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Majestic Lodge is beautiful - the help is absolutely wonderful, very kind and attentive. The breakfasts were delicious and fresh and the rooms were beautiful and well kept. Everything about the lodge was wonderful. It is a challenging drive on very rough roads, but that is all part of the Costa Rican charm. Our only complaint would be the barking dogs throughout the night kept us awake. The last night there was no barking, so not sure if they took care of the problem... Nancy was very kind and provided good recommendations on food and fun activities for our family. The pool was not kept heated so you had to plan your swimming, which is hard for the kids. However, the help was quick to respond and turn the heater on. It would be nice to have it on during the duration of the stay so you could enjoy the pool at will.

West Sedona, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at the Majestic Lodge with family and everyone made us feel like family. Highly recommend staying here. Very helpful and great service. Beautiful views! Staff was very helpful with planning tours and recommending trips. Great food, go to Howlers and Pizza Johns, just a short walk away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tel Aviv
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The lodge is not finished yet with unstable electricity but no emergency lights. When we arrived there was no electricity and the reception told us it will take about half an hour until electricity will come back, but there was no electricity all night. When I asked for an emergency light the answer was "I need it for the kitchen". Go to the Arenal observatory lodge nearby instead, Same price, much bigger rooms, better service, great restaurant and excellent view

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Madi65, Manager at Majestic Lodge, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
I am so disappointed that you feel that you did not have a nice experience at our Villa. I would like to say, however, that much of this review is inaccurate. We are not an “unfinished, new place”, as we a have been operating, fully staffed, as a B&B for 5 years. We have been using the Lodge for family, friends and business associates and have just recently opened to the public. We are not having electrical problems of any kind, nor have we ever. We had a power outage that took the power out of the entire Arenal region for 20 miles in every direction. As I recall, the power went out when you checked in and you asked me when the lights would be on, and I told you that I had no way of knowing, but that I hoped it would be on soon, but that I could not guarantee a time. I then gave you a lantern and asked that we be able to use it to cook dinner for our guests, as all of the local restaurants were closing due to the power failure. We have a gas stove, but need light to cook, and as I explained, I would give it back to you when we finished. I also gave you plenty of candles for your room. We had plenty of light and candlelight in the common area and all of our guests enjoyed the dinner and the beautiful ambiance. The following morning you ate breakfast and after breakfast when you asked for me to comp the room due to the electricity problem, I told you that I could not do that, but that I would give you a 50% discount which you thanked me for. I am not sure why not giving the room free, with a full breakfast included, would be bad service, but I truly am sorry that you felt that way. Nancy

Been to Majestic Lodge? Share your experiences!