We struggled with giving this a "excellent" rating in as much as the dining room service was terrible! The buffet dinning room bakery was amazing, and the food above average, but the service was awful. Most likely because we were on a Caravan.com tour and the tips were pre-negotiated by Caravan, but that is NO EXCUSE -- especially for a Marriott that gets up to $500 for a room with a view during the high season from private pay guests. We were lucky enough to draw one of the best view rooms --- three floors up, with ocean, beach, and infinity pool views. That infinity pool is simply amazing -- 4 foot deep and the largest in all of Central America. Sunset pictures from the pool are the best. This is the most "wow" place we ever stayed. The grounds are impeccable. The grounds staff is friendly and helpful.
It took us 15 minutes to find our room. We were miss-directed as we picked up our key. Our room was in a separate wing building. The room maids did not know where our room was. Finally, a manager came by, and took charge and was very apologetic. The facility is huge. We recommend you view the ground maps before you leave the massive lobby area.
The only other down-side is there are no close by fun things to do --- like para-sailing, golf, wave runners, etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Live an authentic Costa Rican experience in a luxury hacienda style resort in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. This resort & spa sits oceanfront on a secluded stretch of coastline minutes from the Hacienda Pinilla Golf Course and Tamarindo village. The JW Marriott Guanacaste is surrounded by the splendors of Costa Rican rich biodiversity; with a choice of 5 beaches, adjacent to an equestrian center, tennis courts, and an 18-hole golf course with a coastal layout. Off-site activities like canopy tours, horseback riding, white water rafting, kayaking, and ATV tours can be arranged on site. You can also arrange tours to nearby locations such as Arenal Volcano, Rincon de la Vieja Volcano and National Park or Guachipelin thermal hot springs. Enjoy surf beaches with excellent year-round waves and warm water, visit turtle nesting beaches or observe a great variety of wildlife. The property features the largest infinity pool in Central America, outdoor hot tubs, a fully equipped fitness center, biking and jogging trails and a Kids Club with professional care. You can also relax in our spa, ranked one of the top five Spas in Latin America by Spa Magazine. This resort offers 5 restaurants and two bars. Among these options enjoy a romantic dinner right on the beach at Azul Grill our beach front restaurant or visit Tamarine where you can enjoy Asian fusion cuisine. Indulge yourself with a genuine Guanacastecan style meal at Sabanero Steakhouse or relax and admire a spectacular sunset at Nau Lounge and Bar, while you enjoy hand crafted cocktails and a variety of Sushi. All rooms have balconies with garden, pool or ocean views. In-room amenities include LCD TVs, sound proof windows, iPod docks and streaming speed Wi-Fi Internet access, blackout curtains, plush pillow-top mattresses and fine linens, rich woods, and marble bathtubs. The village of Tamarindo is just 5 miles away, where you will find restaurants, bars, and souvenirs in a "Pura Vida" laid back atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Marriott, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Guanacaste Resort And Spa Costa Rica
- Jw Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica Hotel Santa Cruz
- Jw Marriott Santa Cruz
- Marriott Santa Cruz
- JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica Playa Avellanas