You added JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica to your Saves list
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Hacienda Pinilla, Playa Avellanas, Tamarindo, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Guanacaste Experience
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Playa Avellanas
Danville, California
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I spent 5 nights here and was upgraded to a suite for my platinum status. It was one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in and that includes some Four Seasons resorts I've been to. The suite was luxuriously elegant and huge. It also had a private plunge pool just outside on the patio. Our kids also loved the gigantic resort pool. We spent hours every day swimming from one end of the pool to the other. The resort is very secluded and hard to get to so there isn't much to do around it but this was perfect for our family since we just wanted to get away from it all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest;

Your family having fun, relaxing having a great day at our Hotel is the scenery that we want to have with all our guests. It is our goal and I am glad that we have it with you.

We truly hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Jesus Gonzalez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Our first time here my husband swore we were lost. No high end resort would be at end of dirt road. But this is. I love this place. From the cows roaming the road, amazing service and friendly staff. Love it. Far enough from Tamarindo but close enough to drive. Best hotel in area

• Stayed March 2013
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest;

I like your phrase: “Far enough from Tamarindo but close enough to drive” I just would add far enough to walk to tamarindo jajaja. But you are right is easy driving.

Thank you for your great comments and I am glad your experience was lovely.

Kind regards;

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at the JW Marriott Guanacaste for two nights as part of our Costa Rica Caravan tour. The service for checking in was efficient and our bags were delivered promptly. We were immediately impressed with the room - it was of a nice size and the jacuzzi tub and screened in patio were nice unexpected touches. The large pool was very nice to cool off on a hot day. Bar service at the pool was good. I was disappointed with the service at the restaurant - there was not enough seating for the two tour groups that were there are we had to wait for a seat on a couple occasions and the lineup at the egg station was too long for me - I opted for what was already prepared in the buffet.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 337 - nice garden view off the patio with a view to the Pacific Ocean. The room wa...
Dear Guest;

I am glad that your stay was enjoyed.

Thank you for let us know about your thoughts regarding service at the Restaurant. We need to improve it and we will.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Sausalito, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I came here expecting it to be of JW Marriott quality but based on some of the reviews, maybe a little overrated. I was pleasantly surprised! The is located in a gated area that includes another hotel, a golf course, villas and a beach club. It takes about 5 minutes just to find it once you pass the gates.

The hotel and grounds are absolutely beautiful. The resort is very Spanish style and the rooms are great. Very spacious with great linens, towels and toiletries. And a really nice bath tub! We definitely made use of the fridge in the room. Bed was really comfy too. No complaints about the room at all. If you get the Garden View room on the edge of the property, you can encounter a lot of wind that rattles the screen that keeps the bugs out of the patio area (brilliant idea).

We ate at the Azul restaurant for lunch one day and loved everything we got. Pricey compared to restaurant prices in the area but what you would expect at this resort. Another night we got room service because the only reservation available at the steakhouse was 8:30 and we wanted to go into town to see the rodeo!

I absolutely loved the Beach Club. Awesome beach that is great for surfing or just laying and watching. We drove around and explored the area and found the most beautiful beach that clearly doesn't get a lot of traffic. There were chairs and palapas set up but not 1 single person and it was GORGEOUS! Softest sand of any beach I had been to. I am not telling the name because I want to keep it deserted :-)

Service was great, property was beautiful and food was good. I recommend having a car so you can go out at night. If you want to be up in the action, then stay in Tamarindo. If you want peace and quiet with a lively scene 20 minutes away, then this resort is perfect for you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WOW! This is a great idea to keep the name of the beach just for you. This makes the idea to our readers to explore too.

I am glad to know that you have fun exploring and also relaxing.

I appreciate your comments about our property and service.

Livingston, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We were deciding between the Four Seasons and the JW Marriott and ended up choosing the Marriott because we were told that it was newer. It was okay, a little disappointing. The rooms were okay, not amazing. As soon as we arrived at the hotel we felt "swamped" by two bus loads of people who were on tour, being dropped off. That was a turn off from the very start. In the morning we went down to the pool, and the lounge chairs were all taken - I suppose that happens at a lot of resorts, but it is "that kind" of a resort. The employees behind the reception desk and those who dealt with the tours spoke English, but if you asked any random employee for directions, for example, more often than not the response was a non response. The steak restaurant was okay, the asian fusion restaurant was lackluster. We did not eat at the Italian restaurant

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest;

Reading this review is very disappointing for all of us since you didn’t enjoy your stay at this Resort.

I am really sorry that you didn’t like this property and what we offer to our guests. I hope next time if you decide to come to Costa Rica again find a place which has everything that you are looking for and have a wonderful vacation.

Thank you for your time sharing your comments.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I went here for our babymoon. We loved Costa Rica but were disappointed with this hotel. It is very expensive so we were expecting first class service and food. The first day we go to the pool and there were no towels. The staff kept saying "there being washed" but two hours later there 10 people waiting for towels and the staff was able to find one towel. We finally gave up and went back to our room. The food is ok at best. The staff raved about the "steak" restaurant. Our food lacked seasoning. I wonder if the guy on the grill had even made a steak before. We asked for the meat medium and it came out well done. The room itself was nice and the staff always eager to please but for those prices I expect things to be perfect. Definitely get a car so you can travel around to do stuff. We brought our own gps unit but if you don't you will have to rent one because Costa Rica doesn't have road signs to tell you where you are.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest;

We really appreciate that you chose our Hotel for your babymoon, congratulations!.

I regret that the food was not to your liking at our Steakhouse.

You are correct about the road signs which is why the hotel has its own signs throughout the roads.

Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here the other night. Platinum member, stay at plenty of JW properties around the world.
This one totally misses the mark. Staff are slow, lazy, unfriendly, and more interested in hanging out and chatting than serving customers.
At check-in I had to wait ages, then finally checked in. No real welcome, actually the guy was pretty hostile! not a good way to start a vacation.
Hallways to rooms are tatty and worn out, trash and soiled bedsheets line them throughout the day. Not a good impression. Room was big but bathroom unclean and nothing worked in my room! lights broken, shower broken, connecting door left unlocked, and right before bed...the air conditioning broke! insane for a newer hotel!
Luckily the rooms have fans and it is cool at night, but how odd....
Pool is nice, ocean is pretty and the sunset a must - however as others have said you cant swim in the ocean (but this is not the hotels fault). Service is poor at the restaurants which I can concur are wildly overpriced and poor in quality. The property has no....umph factor. It might as well be a courtyard resort. I didnt once see any JW marriott signiature service, quality or standards. For US$575-675 a night, this hotel could provide a lot more! I left feeling like I would not return, nor would I advise anyone else to spend sums of money that large for the fake JW marriott you get here.
Hotel is also VERY far from town through a failed golf community (only a few houses built, no doubt part of the property bubble of 2008-2010). Depressing and slow. Unpaved road for a few miles for no apparent reason, then Tamarindo town which is pretty nice for some non hotel food.
All in all, I would avoid at all costs. Not a real vacation, and not a good ambassador for JW Marriott or Costa Rica.
Manager, however, was a great guy!

Room Tip: Save your money and go to Mexico!
Dear Guest;

I appreciate your comment about me and surely I did everything in my power to amend your inconveniences. All areas of the hotel are always well maintained and up to par with quality controls, we will check the faults that you have mentioned and correct them if needed.

Please accept again my apologies for these inconveniences. The last thing I want is for one of my guests to leave the hotel with a bad impression which is why we do everything possible to fix any situation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Avellanas
#2 of 21 in Tamarindo
4.5 of 5 stars 789 reviews
Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach Resort
Jardin del Eden boutique hotel

Been to JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica? Share your experiences!