First of all, I'm not super picky and I'm quite well travelled, so please enjoy my comments.
Yes, this is a gorgeous resort.
No question about it.
My wife and I stayed here for 1 week.
Being a AAA Member,we were upgraded to an Oceanview Room.
The room was very nice.
I know that this a classy hotel but I was surprised to find that there were no ice machines for hotel guests.
You had to call room service to get ice.
The maids would also leave you some ice during turndown service.
Still, I've stayed at 5 Diamond Hotels where there were ice machines for the guests.
The hotel charged a lot of money for Internet, I believe that it was $13.95 per day per device.
I could live with that, except that the reception was lousy, both Ethernet and WiFi.
I tested it with www.speedtest.net and the needle hardly moved.
The hotel twice sent a technician to our room.
Each time, the technician was supposed to get back to us and never did.
We complained to the hotel but we were nonetheless charged the full amount.
The hotel had a number of restaurants, we tried each of them.
The meals were pricey but nothing special.
No, I'm not a picky eater!
This is a gorgeous resort but it's in the middle of nowhere.
I did rent a large SUV with a GPS to get around.
We asked the hotel about nearby towns and they indicated that nothing was nearby.
That's not completely true.
The resort is near Tamarindo Beach.
Tamarindo Beach has some decent, reasonably priced restaurants.
They have a great sushi place called Wok and Roll.
I highly recommend it.
Yes, you have to navigate the potholes but it's worth the drive.
Also, along the way to Tamarindo Beach there is an amazing supermarket that is comparible to supermarkets in the U.S.
We stocked up on drinks and snacks there.
They even carry Diet Dr. Pepper!
Back to the hotel.
The grounds of the hotel are both attractive and well kept.
Now to the best part of the story.
When we were checking out, we were asked how enjoyed our complimentary breakfast.
I said, what complementary breakfast!
Hotel Staffer said, as an AAA Member you are entitled to a free breakfast.
I said, we were never told that.
Believe me, if we were told that we were entitled to a free breakfast, we would have taken advantage of it.
Trust me, none of my paperwork mentioned any free breakfast.
It would have been nice if they told us about it when we checked in.
The Hotel's attitude was, tough luck!
Also, we had a number of uninvited guests come into our room.
The guests included some gecko's and a frog.
I realize that Costa Rica is in a rainforest but I do not care to have creatures of the rainforest in my room.
They got in when the maids cleaned the room and left the door open.
Based on all of this, we were neither offered an apology or a discount.
Well, at least now you know what to expect at this upscale resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Live an authentic Costa Rican experience in a luxury hacienda style resort in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. This resort & spa sits oceanfront on a secluded stretch of coastline minutes from the Hacienda Pinilla Golf Course and Tamarindo village. The JW Marriott Guanacaste is surrounded by the splendors of Costa Rican rich biodiversity; with a choice of 5 beaches, adjacent to an equestrian center, tennis courts, and an 18-hole golf course with a coastal layout. Off-site activities like canopy tours, horseback riding, white water rafting, kayaking, and ATV tours can be arranged on site. You can also arrange tours to nearby locations such as Arenal Volcano, Rincon de la Vieja Volcano and National Park or Guachipelin thermal hot springs. Enjoy surf beaches with excellent year-round waves and warm water, visit turtle nesting beaches or observe a great variety of wildlife. The property features the largest infinity pool in Central America, outdoor hot tubs, a fully equipped fitness center, biking and jogging trails and a Kids Club with professional care. You can also relax in our spa, ranked one of the top five Spas in Latin America by Spa Magazine. This resort offers 5 restaurants and two bars. Among these options enjoy a romantic dinner right on the beach at Azul Grill our beach front restaurant or visit Tamarine where you can enjoy Asian fusion cuisine. Indulge yourself with a genuine Guanacastecan style meal at Sabanero Steakhouse or relax and admire a spectacular sunset at Nau Lounge and Bar, while you enjoy hand crafted cocktails and a variety of Sushi. All rooms have balconies with garden, pool or ocean views. In-room amenities include LCD TVs, sound proof windows, iPod docks and streaming speed Wi-Fi Internet access, blackout curtains, plush pillow-top mattresses and fine linens, rich woods, and marble bathtubs. The village of Tamarindo is just 5 miles away, where you will find restaurants, bars, and souvenirs in a "Pura Vida" laid back atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Marriott, Hotels.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica Hotel Santa Cruz
- Jw Marriott Guanacaste Resort And Spa Costa Rica
- Jw Marriott Santa Cruz
- Marriott Santa Cruz
- JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica Playa Avellanas