“What a lovely place” 4 of 5 stars

Olympos Yazirkoyu No. 25, Kumluca 07350, Turkey   |
Tlmace, Slovakia
“What a lovely place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Have been 2 times in Saban an loved it there, maybe the treehouse isn´t the most convenient solution in summer heats but I don´t blame anyone because staff recommended me to take air-conditioned bungalow. Food excellent, good attitude, clean. Can only recommend to anyone.

Karol, Slovakia

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
at the moment, London, formaly NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

After getting an over night ferry from Santorini to Rodes then a ferry from Rodes to Turkey and then a 9 hour bus to Olympos Saban was exactly what we needed. Its true what they say, "come for a day, stay for a week"
When we arrived we where shown the Bungalow's and the Treehouses and were able to decide what we wanted. "the Bungalow is like a boat cabin and the Treehouse is like camping" is a good way to describe it. We had every intention of staying in a Treehouse -which is a little wooden hut on stilts, with a mattress. If you don't like ruffing it or camping you would not like it. There is a big gap between the door and the roof so if you are worried about bugs then its probably not for you.
I was so tired and didn't want to be traping back and forwards so we decided to pay an extra 10TL and stay in a Bungalow which had a Bathroom (WC, Shower and skink), bed and Air-con.

We arrived late, but within 15 mins of arriving we where sitting down and having a warm bowl of soup, and a decent meal. Best meal we had had in a week! The food is really great and plentyful!

We were there at the end of the season, so I don't know what it would be like peck season, but atmospher is very relaxed and chilled out. The common area is great with hammocks, built up lounge areas and a bon-fire in the middle, lots of boards of Backgammon if you fancy a game. Everyone, staff and guest was friendly and relaxed, chilled out and chatting till late in the evening. When we walked back to our bungalow there where little gekkos on the door! I'v never seen a live one before so I was stocked! They are very shy tho, and quick to run away hehe.
The beach and the Ruins are about 10mins walk away. It cost 3TL to get into the ruins for a day pass or 5TL for a week (altho if you walk along the river bed and down the other side of the ruins you can get in for free, but i like to pay to help keep the area nice and clean)

One thing I would have to say is that if you are a light sleeper take some ear-plugs. It is a valley so even if the other hotels nearby are not playing music loud you may hear the dogs and the roosters as the sound carries far in the Valley. This is not a fault of the Pension, you are staying in a small wooden hut with no sound proofing, and it would be the same wherever you stayed in the whole valley.
If you like to stay in fancy or 5* places this is obveously not the place for you, but if you are into back packing, or experancing different places and styles, and love meating people then you will love Saban Pension. We meet some great people there and hope you go back again soon :)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

We stayed in a bungalow and it was fantastic. We had a friendly welcome and the place is just so chilled out that it is easy to just do nothing and relax. The treehouses did not look great, but the bungalows are excellent and the friendly staff and superb meals make it a great place to stay with a lovely atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Beirut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

In the travel guide I had, it mentioned to go to the Saban if you were a solo female traveler. I liked the set up of the place and the food is very generous. I even booked to stay there on my way back. But, the woman running the show there has a major attitude problem and can be very unpleasant.
My advice: if you want to stay there stay out of her way! OR, you can stay at any of the other treehouses closer to the beach.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Stayed here while in Olympos despite the lack of reviews at the time. Needless to say, I was very happy with my decision.

I had a small bungalow (needed the a/c and my own bathroom), which was not much more expensive than a treehouse. In my younger days, would've opted for the shared dorm, which was well air-conditioned (unlike the tree houses, but what do you expect, they're tree houses), clean, and a steal with breakfast and dinner included. The treehouses are more like elevated wooden houses (like you would imagine a tree house, just not one sitting in a tree). If you were hoping for the latter, you will be sorely disappointed as Olympos does not provide such lodging really.

Bonus though was that all tree houses and bungalows were well spaced out (no adjoining walls), so you had a good amount of privacy and never felt crammed in.

The food was excellent and given in generous portions. Most of the people I met opted to have light lunches and fill up at the dinner buffet. But if you're an eater, they have well-priced lunch options as well.

The staff was kind, they left you to your own devices for the most part. It's a family business, most grew up in Olympos, so they treat it as their home as well. A group of us walked to Chimaera (14 km roundtrip) at night. They had suggested we walk if we weren't interested in the tour and told us how to get there. There was no pushing on their part to buy the "tour".

The best part for me had to be the communal area. The elevated lounges and hammocks were spacious and relaxing, which is probably the best way to describe the entire place. They were the best I saw around (compared to other places), and in all honesty, once I saw the other sites, there was no real comparison to Saban. Compared to the other options, it was cleaner, quieter, and drew a more discerning crowd. Most folks I met wouldn't even consider staying at Kadir's because it was dirty and loud most of the time (attracts a big party crowd). That, plus the fact you have to bus to the beach, didn't put it high on my list.

The next time I get the chance to visit Olympos again I'll definitely be heading back to Saban.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

We stayed at Saban for one night after a mini-cruise from Fethiye to Olympos and have to offer a mixed review.

We booked a "treehouse" which actually turned out to be a wooden hut on stilts which was very small, very hot (not even a fan!) and also had a lot of insects. While the staff did offer to move us to another "treehouse", they didn't have any fans or any ant/bug spray. The bathroom blocks are clean and plentiful so no complaints there.

The outdoor relaxation areas are quite nice (with hammocks and wooden gazebos that have nice/clean cushions and power outlets). The dinner and breakfast included were both of high quality and with big portions which was a plus.

On the downside, two of us went on their "tour of the Chimera" which wasn't a tour - it was a ride to the bottom of a very steep/dark/rigorous hiking "trail" up to the Chimera. It would have been very helpful if they had told us that there would be nearly 30 minutes of hiking...we would have worn proper shoes!

Also, we had emailed a few weeks in advance and had asked for advice about booking the overnight bus from Antalya to Goreme. They had offered to book for us and said that it would be no problem though, when we arrived, no reservation had been made and the late bus was full. Luckily we were able to get onto the earlier bus but, had we not been able to, it would have been a big problem for us since we had made plans in Goreme!

I hate to say that I wouldn't recommend this place because the staff was kind and the facilities are generally nice but I would only recommend accommodation with air conditioning/fan and also would not recommend the Chimera tour.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Saban Tree Houses? Share your experiences!