“Tears come to my eyes each time I hear the story” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Salaspils
Riga, Riga, Latvia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Tears come to my eyes each time I hear the story”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Usually people expect more to see. There is so little to see but it gives you a shock how impressive it is. The most impressive being the metronome heartbeat.

Visited June 2013

Derbyshire
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Quiet and humbling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Much further out of town than we realised, and hard to get to without a hire-car or taxi, this was, nevertheless, a place we all agreed would have been a massive mistake to have passed up. There is pretty well no explanatory material here, save for a dozen monochrome drawings in the initial 'building', so it's worth reading up about what happened here beforehand. The statues are epic, the 'heartbeat' thought-provoking and the toys left here a tear-inducing testament to the hundreds of children who died here. The negative 'Same old' review from last year is almost certainly not of this place at all, so would be inclined to ignore it.

Visited May 2013
Chichester, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Thought provoking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Have previously visited on a summer's day but in stark contrast this visit saw the monument snow covered and bathed in the orange glow of a rapidly setting sun in sub-zero temperature. The statues are very impressive and the concept of the constant heartbeat also very symbolic. To my mind this is a fine way to commemorate the significant loss of life in such a brutal fashion.
I have to comment on the previous reviewers comments which I find to be shallow and trite. Irrespective of ones political or religious persuasion such loss of life must be remembered in the hope that such a tragic episode never happens again.

Visited March 2013
Mullingar
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Sad place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

It is very different to other concentration camps in Europe as, unlike for example Aushwitz, here not much was left of the original camp. Nazis managed to destroy evidences. Nevertheless, if you stand next to altar with metronome inside and the only sound you hear is this loud, monotonous ticking, it's a feeling like no other. I would recommend visiting it, once in Riga.

Visited May 2012
Columbia, South Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Clarify your transportion needs beforehand.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

One of the most important sights I wanted to see while in Latvia. We were relying on public transportation to get there. Our hotel pulled up the schedule for us, but unfortunately it didn't work out too well and we ended up walking a about three miles to the sight. I read somewhere afterwards that bus 18 drops you off right across the highway from it, but even then it's a mile trek from there. Our bus took us much farther away, so we had to backtrack quite a ways. Afterwards, when we trekked back to the highway, there was no bus stop in sight. We happened to see some folks standing o the side of the road, so we asked them, and that was it. No building, sign or anything!

Excluding the extra walking, I highly recommend visiting the site. It's a very touching memorial to the thousands that lost their lives for no reason at all, except to appease a madman.

Visited November 2012