“I should have read the other reviews first...” 3 of 5 stars

The Bull Hotel
The Headlands, Downton SP5 3HL, England   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Downton B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“I should have read the other reviews first...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012 via mobile

Our first impressions of the Bull were great. They could not have been more friendly or helpful when we arrived. The double room was nice, in that wobbly old English pub way, and there were some nice touches like the big fluffy towels.

The only dampener was our dinner which was really pretty disappointing. Shame, really.

Stayed April 2012

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

My cousin and I have just returned today from a weekend visiting family members who live in the area.
I would like to say that that the manageress of The Bull was extremely friendly and polite,nothing was too much trouble for her.The rooms were very clean, comfortable, and very spacious.The excellent breakfast was also included in the price.

Excellent service, and very affordable price.....We would certainly stay again, and hopefully fthis will be for the May festival

Room Tip: We stayed at the back, which was very quiet .
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

My mother and I had to spend the weekend in Salisbury due to taking part in a first aid course at the childrens centre down the road. This hotel was fantastic, we were greeted at the bar area which is spacious and full of life and really just a great rustic British pub! The the member of staff that greeted us showed us into our twin room and it is very lovely, clean and welcoming. We also had our own bathroom complete with shower and bath down the corridor. As we checked in to the hotel we clocked a poster saying that there was a deal on which is two steak meals with chips, mushrooms and a grilled tomato for two with a house bottle of wine for £20. Such a bargain find! As the room for the night was only £55 with a cooked breakfast for two in the morning served when we needed it as we had an early start! Great Food, Great Value and Fantastic Staff. I shall be visiting again with my boyfriend during April!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012 via mobile

I recently took my aunt and uncle for lunch at The Bull and have to say we were all very impressed.

The service was great and all the members of staff we dealt with we're really friendly and polite.

The food was also really good especially when you consider the price! I had carvery which was lovely and fresh. The home cooked pizza went down really well with the family aswell!

If your in the downton area would definitely recommend !!!

• Stayed December 2011
hampshire england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

i found the staff very welcoming and helpful the room was clean and comfortable the pub had a good atomosphere and the food was good the chef was happy to adjust to our reqirements i would happily stay again, the manager frances was very helpfull and provided me with a pack lunch because i had to leave early, also giving me advice on the way to go because of traffic. the bar staff i think her name was emma was so helpfull bringing extra coffee to my room, we will certainly stay here again

Room Tip: room 3 at the back of pub very peaceful
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
London, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for one night and it was terrible. It is under new management, and clearly not being managed very well at all. On walking into the bar, the area looked uncleaned, the carpets had clearly not been vacuumed in a few days. The pub had a halloween party and seemed more busy with that, then showing guests to the rooms. The barperson had no idea what she was doing and on showing us the room, then had no key.

The room itself was very large, although no en-suite (the bathroom was up the hallway), the room could have easily fitted an en-suite, so I do not know why this had not been done. Also our bathroom had no toilet paper, which we requested and then they ignored us, and had to ask again at around 11pm!!

They also gave us the room directly above the pub main area, which was extremely noisy.

The room was suppose to be a double, but was two old twin beds, with different and poor mattresses pushed together. The linen was corse and made me skin react badly.

The curtains did not close properly.

The TV was from the 80s with only 4 channels and no remote, and to be honest there was no point watching as it was so small.

It was not clean, and had clearly been re-painted extremely recently and the fumes were not pleasant at all - none of this had been explained to us on booking.

A terrible night and we will not be visiting again, the cost of this room was £60, but we had this reduced to £50 - I have also been in contact for a full refund, as it was so bad.

If you want a lovely hotel/pub in the area stay at Woodfalls Inn in Redlynch which is so lovely, see the reviews on here, and I believe the Bell Inn in Bramshaw is the same quality!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms currently, all poor quality!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Downton hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Having read the prior reviews to staying.I was not disappointed my wife and i spent the weekend.Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. As this hotel/pub is under new management. Food was fantastic.Absolutely recommend it to all my friends and family

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!