“Great place to back to.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Venus Studios and Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roda
Venus Studios and Apartments
You added Venus Studios and Apartments to your Saves list
Roda 49081, Greece   |
Ranked #15 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Roda
West Yorkshire
“Great place to back to.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Just came back from another successful tour of Charlie's Apartments. Soon as we got off the coach Charlie recognised us. No false smiles or comments, a genuine guy with a genuine friendly nature, if he's pleased to see you, then he is. Again a lovely quiet place, attractive garden settings around the pool area. He doesn't pester you for drinks etc and leaves you to it. Everything is still priced in real terms and he's increased his maid service. He's employed a friendly chap to keep the gardens in check. You just can't go wrong here, price right, great chilled atmosphere for both couples and families alike. What more can i say!! Like I said on previous reviews, this is not a 4 star hotel, its a family run Greek apartment scenario, but the towels changed regularly, rooms cleaned and bins emptied. Air con is priced right and you just don't feel like your being ripped off. Just go and enjoy your time there! I'm I going again? You bet I am! Thanks Charlie we had a great time and we'll see you again!

Room Tip: Get the air con in the rooms, turn it on and keep the doors shut, mozzie alert! Air con is priced r...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just come back from a 2 week stay at the venus apartments, Apartment 4! Before booking we had looked at previous reviews & had noted that they were mixed..from one extreme to the other…so we went with an open mind, not expecting luxury, but basic, clean accommodation.When we arrived the apartment was not ready, no problem (Charlie the owner's favourite expression!). We had a drink in the bar while we waited :-)! Then it all went wrong! When we entered the apartment the floor was still soaking wet (& due to the humidity stayed wet for 48hours despite leaving windows & doors open!) the cooker was caked in grease, shower & toilet were grimy to say the least. The kitchen equipment including crockery still had dried food on them. The 'white chopping board was actually brown with stains & knife marks. Then the bedding & towels were atrocious. Towels full of holes, stained and threadbare, pillow cases with make-up and blood stains on them. We complained to Charlie, who sent his daughter (a very stroppy woman) who assured us that the linen was clean & sterile, & on looking at the chopping board her solution was to put it on top of the cupboard & tell us 'don't use it then!'. The linen was replaced, and was slightly improved. We were tired after our long day's travelling, and stupidly decided to address the situation ourselves. And so our first outing of the holiday was to the local shop for bleach, scouring pads & rubber gloves! When the apartment was in a habitable condition, my husband needed a well-earned cold beer on the balcony. There was a loud ‘crack’ and a groan, the leg had snapped off the patio chair. Luckily he wasn’t seriously hurt and Charlie said ‘no problem’ & gave him another chair. We asked for a safety box key. Charlie laughed & said that since we had cleaned the kitchen we could have the safety box free of charge! Very generous! While we waited for the key we mentioned that we had been travelling since 2am that morning, to which Charlie's daughter shouted 'Oh that's why you're cranky then is it?’!! The problem with patio chairs repeated itself a few days later when the chair I was sitting on also broke,but this time with more serious consequences because I cracked my head against the wall & sustained an injury.‘No problem!’ said Charlie! The chair problem was experienced by several other guests during the 2 weeks we were there. Charlie is, as other people have stated, a charming old chap, but clearly he is not coping with the running of the apartments.He has two staff, who seem to do all of the cleaning, laundry,maintenance etc, with very basic equipment, & work extremely hard for long hours. Laundry from all the apartments is done on site using a couple of domestic washing machines & hung to dry on lines over the top of Charlie’s car in a rickety tent.No wonder linen is soiled. The area around the apartments is really lovely, with palm trees/fruit trees and lawns.The pool is one of the nicest we have had, and appeared to be very clean although the water stained swimwear and turned people’s hair green. We have travelled in Greece for 20 years, & always stay in 2/3 * apartments, basic & clean. We know from experience that Charlie’s attitude is not the typical ‘Greek way’, as some people have suggested.He is simply old, tired, can’t be bothered to address even the basic problems & should get more staff to help him run The Venus properly!

Room Tip: Avoid Apartment 4!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is a really friendly place. I went on a relaxing holiday with my 24 year old daughter. The accommodation is fairly basic but clean and more than adequate. The grounds are lovely and the pool is fabulous. Charlie who owns and runs the place is really helpful and nice as are the rest of the staff

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Just returned from Venus Apts, had a great time. Stayed in one of the 2 bedroomed apartments. I wasnt phased by a couple of poor reviews on here, they really are unfounded. Yes the rooms a looking a bit tired and a due for a bit of a spruce up. But the apartment was functional plenty of room and come with good aircon and working appliances, and plenty of hot water. The room was cleaned 2 or 3 times a week, and the bedding was changed during the middle of the stay. However its not the room you go on holiday for, and the pool and gardens were excellent. Roda was a very nice resort and the Venus Apts are as good a place as any to stay, and would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Fife
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I would love to agree with the people who have criticized the Venus Apartments in order to keep my little bit of heaven to myself, but I cannot tell a lie. We were there for two weeks from 5th June in a one-bedroom apartment for two people. My husband and I are in our early 60s, so bear this in mind when reading my review.

The Venus Apartments are situated in a very peaceful area of Roda, but only a few minutes away from the nearest Supermarket, and around a 10 minute stroll into town, although there is a restaurant probably less than 5 minutes’ walk away and also some waterholes. They are around 150 metres from a stony beach. The beach in Roda itself is okay but it never tempted us to use it. When we were on Corfu we needed a torch at night as a circuit of street lights were out on the beach road in front of the lane up to the Venus, and the lane itself, and it was pitch black.

Our apartment was on the ground level. You entered the door straight into a surprisingly well-equipped kitchen (toastie maker, electric kettle, microwave, oven and two hobs). Not much work surface to prepare food, but there is a good sized table with a glass top over the tablecloth so instead of using it as we did for sun creams, etc., it could be used as a surface for food preparation. The bathroom is a big enough. The shower was not very powerful, we are used to a power shower, but there was always hot or warm water, with no leakage out of the shower cubical (which was a good size). The down side is that toilet paper should not be flushed and if the buckets were not emptied daily there could be a mild aroma!!! I would recommend taking an air freshener with you.

The twin bedded room was reasonably sized with a double wardrobe with two long drawers at the bottom, a dressing table with one long drawer, and a little bedside table with two drawers. The beds were not too bad but still a little firm for older bones!

The beds were changed regularly - maybe four or five times in the fortnight, and the towels three or four times.

The terrace was a nice size and had a table and two chairs and a clothes airer.

There are 19 apartments/duplexes at the Venus. Everything is very well spaced out with lots of garden area with sunbeds and sun umbrellas on the grass so there was PLENTY of room. The paved area around the lovely pools had no furniture on it which I found to be great. When the pool was quiet we were entertained with House Martins (or was it Swallows or Swifts?) swooping down for a drink or to cool off.

The safes are in Charlie’s Hideaway and cost us 15 euros for the two weeks. We never needed air con, but I understand that it is very reasonably priced.

As is the case in most self-catering accommodations, no washing-up liquid is supplied, nor tea towels, pegs, loo paper, etc. I do wonder what some people expect from self-catering holidays. I keep saying, if you want the Hilton or Ritz, then pay for it. You will then have the RIGHT to complain about things.

We found the owner of the Venus Apartments, Charlie, to be a lovely man. You must try his food as it is delicious. We had his home-made moussaka and I must say it was the best I have ever had, ever.

We met some of Charlie’s friends - Stuart and Yvonne - who were lovely. Hope all goes well with you Yvonne with your future surgery, and you get a lovely frock for the wedding.

Also at our apartments were two nice couples - Colin and Vicki with Macy, and John and Christine. It makes our holiday meeting pleasant people, so thanks to all.

Restaurants - we went to Nikos, Dolphin, El Mar, New Port, Pangalos (Kind Hearted People) and had wonderful meals there in the evenings. I will write reviews about these if they are on TA. We also went to a couple of other restaurants which were also good, but the ones I’ve mentioned we found the best. We never had a bad meal. Greek food is so tasty. For snacks we would recommend Pirates or Crusoes. Great range of snack food and also very enjoyable.

We only did one trip and that was to Paleokistritsa. I think this trip is worth going on, but we won’t do it again.

I have attached some photos with descriptions. If I can I will attach a short clip of the Venus pools and gardens.

Would I recommend these apartments? We hope to return next year, but that’s dependent on flights. I hope this answers the question.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I'll start by saying that if I'd have believed the majority of reviews I'd read on this website about the Venus apartments, I never would have booked them. I'm glad I did book it though, we had a great holiday! When I read previous reviews complaining that there was only one toilet roll, one wardrobe, or that it was too dark for some poor girl to apply her make-up, I decided that these were such trivial things that they did not warrant such negative reviews. Having booked and stayed at Venus I believe I was right to ignore them.
I truly believe that a review should reflect the star rating of the accommodation, and that is what mine will do. We booked the apartments for a week from 17th June at a cost of £170. The accommodation is basic and not particularly spacious, but it had everything you need for a self-catering holiday. I'd assess it as 2-3 star, location and the advantage of aicon making it three star in my opinion. Apparantly (according to my wife), Greek Island self-catering holidays are generally pretty basic. There was a balcony with a great view of the pool area, the shower was spacious & we had a large fridge with a microwave and small two ring hob (which we didn't use). Aircon was available at a cost of 30 euros per week, which we gladly paid. We were there at the end of June & it was scorchio! Temps were in the high thirties even late in the day. Rooms are a little bit tired and dated, but the apartment and bedding were clean. The maids cleaned three times when we stayed, although only changed the towels once. This wasn't a problem for us.
The apartments are in a secluded location just up a small track from the beach & promenade. I use these words loosely as neither are what we traditionally think of as a beach & promenade. The beach is shingle & very narrow, but practically deserted with lovely clear blue water. The promenade is actually a lightly used road in a poor state of repair. At night it is well lit & we had no problems walking in & out of the bar/restaurant area in Roda. The walk to the beach is less than a hundred meters I reckon, and the walk to the main bar area is about a ten to fifteen minute stroll. There are several bars and some nice restaurants along the way and it's a great place to watch the sun go down. Nearest supermarket is just a five minute walk from the apartment & is well stocked & reasonably priced.
Charlie is the proprietor, and almost the entire workforce! He checked us in, served us at the bar, made food, watered the grass, did the laundry & just about everything else you could think of. I'd estimate he has to be nearing seventy and is going deaf, but nothing is too much trouble for him. We had several bar meals there for lunch & food was good and reasonably priced. We did not drink there in the evenings as it was very quiet, probably as a result of the bad reviews. At the time that we were there, there was only one other apartment occupied which meant there was certainly no shortage of sun beds. The pool is large with a separate plunge pool and children's pool. It is set within beautiful well kept gardens which have a small children's play area.
Roda itself was lovely and almost unspoiled. It had some great traditional restaurants and bars, but was not too commercialised. I would say that it is not the place for younger couples & groups looking to dance the night away. I did not see a single nightclub, although a number of bars to stay open very late. I think that if there are people wanting to drink, they stay open. If not they close. You will also not find fast food outlets like Burger King, McDonalds, KFC etc, which in my world is a good thing. No Chinese or Indian that I noticed either, just good old-fashioned greek cooking. Yum.
We loved it, and the best recommendation is to say that we'd definitely go back to Roda & The Venus Apartments. We spoke to several people who have been returning over and over, and there's every possibility we may become like them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Three girls in a two bedroomed apartment.... Only one wardrobe. !
It was very dark inside, had to sit on the balcony to put our make up on !
The bathroom was very small, and the shower well you couldnt move !
One toilet roll, when we asked for more toilet roll we were told we had to supply our own, only one supplied !
We were there for a week, one lot of clean towels.... bedding to last for the week !
Had to keep the doors shut because wild cats on the site on our balcony and crept into room !
Sorry, wont be going back !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Venus Studios and Apartments? Share your experiences!