“Great view hotel not” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Liapades
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great view hotel not”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We travelled Sept 2011, I thought I'd wait and see if the hotel had improved since our visit last year, but it seems not from some of the recent comments. The lady who stayed up the top of the hill, clearly didn't stay in the room we were allocated on arrival after being told our room was not available, beach front bungalow, no such room apparently. Thankfully we stayed in this room only one night, I didn't get to use the shower as it was rusty. Our fridge was outside laying on its side broken, and the mattresses were filthy. A large crack in the actual building which looked like it was about to collapse and fall down the hill. As one review said you get what you pay for, well we paid quite a bit actually and having just returned from Zakinthos in a proper 4* hotel there wasn't any comparison. This hotel is a 1*. The profits from the visitors is certainly not being put back into the hotel. We were promised we could use a room to change on our last day. The lady on reception said we have no rooms and you should not have been promised one. She finally let us change '10 minutes that's all you can have' she was actually knocking on the door whilst we were still showering asking us to leave! Couldn't use the pool as it was green for about 3 days. View over the bay was lovely the best thing. The food was very basic, broken plates, chipped mugs, dirty seats, the restaurant said it had been redecorated with what I'm not sure. Having had a glance into the kitchen we decided it was better to eat in Liapades village. Make your own mind up! Got our money back anyway.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My fiance and I spent 7 nights at Elly Beach Hotel at the beginning of September. Although we had an absolutely amazing holiday, this was because we made it that way. This review of 3 stars is based solely on the hotel.
We arrived at 4am & were taken by minibus up to our room further up the hill. We had a family bungalow (had been upgraded) with a "side seaview"...definitely couldn't see the sea at all. Room was very large with a nice modern bathroom. The cleanliness was not so good, but we hadn't had a holiday for a couple of years so these things didn't bother us too much. But, for instance, the underneath of the pillows were stained and the bath had residue in it. Nothing too bad to be honest. There was a staircase with two beds upstairs for children which we never used. To me it looked fine, but my fiance was horrified at the structure holding the upstairs onto the ceiling, saying it was incredibly dangerous.
There was a TV in the room which was TINY but we never watch tv anyway so we didn't test it out. The air con was brilliant, worked every time. Hairdryer in room worked but I always take my own as I'm fussy about hairdryers. Fridge in room worked perfectly. No problems at all with hot water, it always ran hot. The one big criticism I have of the bathroom is the drainage. There was a small grate in the middle of the floor which all pipes seemed to lead to. So when you flushed the toilet, you could see everything being swept away under this grate. Very disgusting. When I washed my hair, the shampoo frothed up and came through the grate, taking particles of toilet remnants with it.... I was nearly sick at this.
Our room was a bit of a way from the actual hotel which was fine for us as we're young, fit and healthy. But I can imagine this being a big problem for older couples or people with babies in pushchairs.
The hotel breakfast was appalling. Unless you want a very high-carb diet for the week, there's not much choice. They had bacon and poached eggs for a couple of days which were absolutely lovely, but that stopped & when I asked where the bacon was the waiter lied to me & kept me waiting for half an hour. I have to admit, though, that there was freshly-baked bread everyday which was really lovely. The tiny sausages were awful as was the "greek" yogurt which was effervescent (I eat proper Greek yogurt everyday at home, I know what it's meant to taste like!). I definitely couldn't have done 2 weeks of these breakfasts.
Dinner was much better. Lovely salad, bean dishes, meat, potatoes, pasta. It's such a shame they didn't put out Greek food like Tzatziki, kleftiko, moussaka. The soft dinks were ridiculously priced in compasion to wine. 2.50 euros for coke, 4.50 euros for a carrafe of wine.
The beach.....oh the beach! This was what made the holiday. A stunning cove, shingle & small pebbles with the clearest blue sea. Bring your snorkel and veer left rather than right, you'll find thousands of different fish.
Definitely get yourselves across to other beaches using Yannis's speedboats....go to paleokastritsa for 20 euro for 2 people (return) like we did, or pay 17 euros each to go on a hot coach and be restricted with times. Yannis was so friendly, he kept going fast because I was all smiles & giggles.
The last day annoyed us because we wanted to have our room for the last day (we weren't flying until 1am the next day) but they wouldn't allow it. As we'd only had our room for 6 days because of our other flight, this didn't make much sense. So I asked where there were changing rooms and a storage room for our luggage....to which they answered "No luggage room, leave in reception and change in restaurant toilets". ...... I've never ever heard of not having a baggage room. So we had to leave our suitcases for over 12 hours in reception. THEN they said we could have a room to get changed & showered in. Brilliant. Except that it was our room!!! So we could've had it all along. Such a joke, we were fuming.
All in all, a hotel with so much potential. Get some Greek dishes on the buffet, better breakfast and that would be half the job done. I would never stay again but would definitely choose a better hotel in the area....so beautiful.

Room Tip: Try to get a room nearer to the hotel
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I can absolutely agree with madcatmaxine review, good value for money what we spent. I knew, what to expect... We lived about 250m above the restaurant, but it was not a problem, even for my husband, which is after knee change. The family rooms are very nice and clean. Our kids were very happy in the pool (the hotel has 3 nice pools) and the sea around is wonderfull. We rented a car for 2 days and discovered Corfu little bit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Fredrikstad, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just came back from a tour around Corfu, stayed 4 nights at Elly Beach Hotell in room 102. The room had a excellent view over the harbour, but too close to the bar which played really loud music all the day and night.
We had booked halfboard, which meant breakfast and dinner.

I have never in my life witnessed so much garbage served to people. Alle vegetables were frozen and cooked into oblivion, the meat and fish were colourless, tasteless and horrible. The desserts were premanufactured matter thrown upon plates. They even destroyed the breakfast with the same un-eatable trash.
How people can throw themselves over this waste and eat it, is beyond my comprehension.
Ooops, I forgot about the smell from the sewer that floats out in the bay, terrible.

channel islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

After reading some of the reviews, i tried to cancel my booking, but eventually we decided to go but budgeted not to eat at the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised. We were given a room at the top of the hill, with an amazing view over the bay. The room was very spacious and clean, and was serviced daily although we did not get clean towels. The road up to the room from the Hotel was extremely steep, but we considered it worth the effort as it was a lovley room and very quiet. It would not be suitable for anyone with walking problems. There was a track from our room through the olive groves to Rovinia Beach which was a much nicer quiet shingle bay than the main beach in front of the hotel, which has been slightly spoiled by the number of sunbeds, pedalos, kayaks etc on such a small stretch of shingle.
We decided to give the food a try and had breakfast every day and 3 evening meals. The breakfast was the same every day, delicious greek yoghurt, honey, fruit, fresh bread, cornflakes, plus boiled eggs, omlette, (and spam which i took for the cats) and a beautiful cinnamon cake. The evening meals were ok, and usually choice of two meats, chicken, pork, or meatballs in sauce, and one fish dish, plus potatos, or rice or pasta, and veg, and a help yourself salad bar which was really nice. sweets were the same all week, Creme caramel, jelly and melon. The wine was reasonable at 7Eur, and the service at the restaurant was excellent and all the waiters were polite and helpful. I did not hear anyone complaining about the hotel or the food, in fact i saw a number of people with plates piled high.
There are a number of nice tavernas in Liapades, and the village itself was well worth a visit. Overall we had a great, very relaxing, beach holiday here for a very good price.

Room Tip: The rooms at the top of the hill are very spacious, wth amazing views, and lovely and quiet, but the...
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Having just got back from a lovely week spent at Elly Beach Hotel I decided to write a positive review after reading everyone elses negative comments. The bottom line to this is that this is a budget hotel and you get what you pay for. If your expecting the Ritz then your not going to get it, but what you are going to get is a clean, comfortable hotel with great friendly service and excellent views. As the hotel has its accomodation on different levels and finding this out after I had booked it, I emailed the hotel a week before our arrival explaining that we would like a lower based room as I could not walk that well...we were given a lovely room close to the main hotel complex with stunning views. Nothing seemed too much trouble for the staff. We had read some previous reviews beforehand about the poor quality of the food, and I can honestly say we didnt find it a problem. There was always a good choice every day and the salad bar was lovely and fresh with a good choice. The only thing I noticed was that if you were a vegitarian( which we are not) then you may well struggle. The buffet was topped up regularly as dishes were emptied and the staff once again were courteous and helpful. Breakfast was a similar affair with cold meat, cheese, yoghurts, fresh bread and a hot selection too. It was geared more to the European market which is understandable and if you want traditional greek cuisine then there are tavernas in thevillage which cater for this. The resort is a little isolated, but a bus service runs from the top of the village to nearby towns. Hiring a car is a good idea and reasonably priced.My advice to anyone looking to go to Liapades and the Elly beach hotel would be...yes do your homework first and go with an open mind.

Room Tip: if you dont want to walk up the hill, request a lower based room we were in 21, this had a balcony.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We are a retired couple,This our first review,. We have been to many Greek islands before, including Corfu. We rate this hotel at one star or less. The view is good, and the waiters and bar staff are chatty and helpful. The management appear to over book,and hope some don't turn up. No 53.is approached over a 60cm wall, and through the neighbours patio. The curtains were 1.5 metres too long, which we later learnt was to mop up the water that leaks from under the door. no hot water, tv .faulty, shower leaks, toilet seat broken no room service for 4 days, roof leaks, bare live wires. We eventually got a room change to No 9. Broken toilet seat, and towel rail, patio door swinging loose. Food, some is ok, most is not. Never enough food or cups, one salt pot to share. AND the SWARMS of WASPS. V. Steep hill.
Pat and John Essex

Room Tip: Seek medical help if you book here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Elly Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!