“Delightful stay at Palm Court” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Court Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palm Court Hotel to your Saves list
Palm Court Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Parc de la Baie Orientale, Orient Bay 97150, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Orient Bay
Hartford, Connecticut
“Delightful stay at Palm Court”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just spent a week in Room 13 made infamous earlier in Mr. Kalaman's review. We had none of his issues and in fact had a wonderful time. Alex and the staff were great and very friendly and helpful. Really appreciated the short walk to the beach, the complimentary chairs and umbrella at Waikiki Beach as well as the ability to run a tab and have the charges billed to our room. These extras really helped with our goal of a "lazy" vacation. Shame the Tex-Mex restaurant closed if only because it leaves a vacant unkempt spot in the village area. The restaurants in the village area have generally good food, but are a little pricey - but again played into our goal of being lazy. We just love the easy style of Orient Bay and the convenience of everything.

We have stayed at Cap Caribes ( now Le Grand Bleu) several times but Palm Court is much better with a very clean pool, buffet breakfast and a happy hour in the pool area. Alex and the team helped us with dinner reservations in Grand Case (Le Pressoir - excellent French cuisine) and answered questions about Anguilla and local necessities like when the local Cadisco gas station closes. They also arranged for us to settle the bill the night before we departed since we had an early flight and knew traffic would be bad with the Heneicken Regatta in full swing. We were also allowed to print our boarding passes in their office.

All in all, a great experience at Palm Court, and we will stay again for our next visit to Orient Bay.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

After my vacation with my son's family fell apart I found this hotel on internet and I am glad i did...I arrived way before the check-in time (3 o'clock) but Alexandra told me that my room was ready and I could get in, go to the beach, and that we would deal with the formalities after I come back. This place should be probably called B&B because you don't feel like beeing in the hotel, the staff is very friendly and helpfull. The room is very nicely decorated and very clean. The access to the beach is about 3 minutes walking distance and there are many restaurants on the beach. The only problem I had was that almost none of the stores in a "village" accepted credit cards and there was not even one banking machine anywhere, so I had go to Marigot to get some money for my purchases.Coming from Canada that was a big surprise
as we are used to use our credit cards everywhere. I hope to come back one day, this was my first visit to this island and I will probably stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Rensselaer, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel came in a vacation package deal because we wanted to visit Orient Beach again but did not want to pay the exorbitant hotel prices of this area. My husband and I were more than pleasantly surprised at the comfort of the second floor room, the friendly staff and the beauty of the surroundings of this small hotel. This was truly a "little paradise" at Orient Bay. Alex, Natalia and Julianne were always friendly, helpful and welcoming. There is nothing like a personal touch when you are vacationing in a foreign country. The hotel is gated so we felt safe; it is only a short 5 minute walk to Waikiki beach where hotel guests get free loungers and umbrella. You can walk to several restaurants, shops, pharmacy and convenience stores. Village of Grand Case is about a 10 minute ride by car where you find the finest restaurants in the Caribbean. My only complaint is that there was no screen to the balcony so we were not able to enjoy the constant breeze at night. After speaking to Alex about this, she said that for safety reasons, screens were not added to the sliding doors. What a shame! With the screens, this would have been the perfect paradise.

Room Tip: I would choose the second floor due to the viewws and great sea breeze.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Cannot say enough good things about this quaint boutique hotel in Orient Bay! If you want a quiet get-away in a laid back setting this is the hotel for you. We just spent 9 days at this smallish hotel enjoying the Morroccan ambience and little resident dog "Poopy" , French for puppy, who liked to escort us down to the beach. Lots of dogs and cats roam freely in this area so if you don't like animals don't come to this part of St. Martin!
The hotel is a convenient five minute walk to Orient Beach and town restaurants for lunch and dinner. Grand Case is a ten minute drive if one wants more variety to dine out. The snorkelling and swimming is great along the pristine Orient Beach. Loterie Farm makes an interesting destination for those who like to hike and zip glide. The view from the mountain top is absolutely stunning.
The traffic jams and the agressive hawkers in Phillipsburg are the only negatives to St. Martin. Too many cars but what can you do?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I loved this hotel - it was gorgeous! The bed was HUGE - a little hard, but I liked it okay. The grounds were well kept and the people there were very friendly and helpful. The 2 minute walk to the beach was GREAT! We also loved the security gate. The only thing I wouldn't do, unless you WANT to spend alot of money" is go to Waikiki Beach of Bikini Beach - walk further down to the right to ORANGE FEVER. GREAT food and good prices!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Waukesha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We’ve stayed in the Orient Bay area several times per year for 12 years. The Palm Court has changed owners several times but the buildings stay the same. Pleasant and a flavor of French Caribbean charm, yet not 5 star crazy opulent and sterile. The rooms could use a little updating but we didn’t pay $400 per night either. It’s a very nice small hotel and the rooms are large.

We love the Orient Bay area, with the village center just 100 yards walk. 5 or 6 restaurants, a convenience store (with awesome fresh Baguettes), and a large grocery store just 5 minutes drive back towards Grand Case. 10 minutes walk on the beach to Club Orient. The location couldn’t be better. At night, there’s usually one or more beach bars that has something going. Since the beach isn’t overcrowded, at night the beach bars don’t have enough business to all stay open so they alternate who’s open, you just have to ask at the bars in the daytime to know who’s open each night.

More specific about the hotel, the pool is clean and well maintained. The have a small bar/breakfast area around the pool which is simply wonderful if you don’t feel like walking to the beach. Everything is as well maintained as constant wind blown salty air will allow. Just about everything rusts in a year or two, including the refrigerators, what can you do short of throwing them out every two years? The grounds are lush with local vegetation and well maintained too. OK, a few chameleons running around and occasion bug or snail. I guess one could spray insecticide endlessly to be ride of them. We choose to tolerate a few bugs. OFF with deet is always good for the ankles anyway because sand flees are prevalent on any Caribbean island. So are a few mosquitoes, but nothing like we’re accustomed to in the hinterland of Wisconsin!

In regards to security that other’s have mentioned, as any traveler should do, don’t let your guard down! Compared to other islands or tourist areas we’ve visited, Orient Bay is safe BUT, you can’t always assume it’s paradise in all ways. We asked one of the owners (Cécile, she owns several of the rooms under OrientBayLodge dot com) about recent security issues. She told us they are working on the repair of several lights around the parking area that have been out for sometime. She was confident proper lighting will push a few derelict local teens back home to play video games instead of bothering guests. Also, being a smaller hotel, they simply can’t afford to keep someone at the front desk 24 hours per day. Ask for a managers cell number if you think you might need help in off hours. They’ve always been happy to give one.

Room Tip: Top level 'superior' rooms have a better view and we like the roominess of the vaulted ceili...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Blandford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We asked for and received a 2nd floor room. It was clean, Not a five star but that does not exist in the Orient Bay area. After reading some of the reviews I considered canceling my reservation. I'm glad i didn't.  Alex could not have been more helpful. She went out of her way to be sure we had everything we needed. We felt safe within the property and while walking to the village and the beach. Breakfast was as expected, coffee, juice, bread and pastries. They also have an "egg cooker", basically a crock pot filled with hot water and little wire baskets to hold the eggs. You put in what you want, and set a timer. Breakfast is supposed to start at 8:00. The Saturday girl, Nathalie, who sets up breakfast was just starting to set up at 8. Egg cooker water never did get hot. My wife tried an egg and even after 10 minutes of cooking, it was still completely raw. Coffee and pastries were good. Sunday through Friday there is a different girl, Julian, setting up breakfast. She is a sweetheart. She remembers what you like and makes sure you are happy. Julian was a wealth of local knowledge. Everything from where to shop for groceries and wine, to some of the local attractions. She had everything ready on time. She was very pleasant and suggested that we try 7 minutes on the egg timer. This will give you a soft boiled egg, the equivalent of about 3 minutes in boiling water. Afternoons, about 4:00 to 6:00 they have Crepes and drinks in the same area that they serve breakfast. No beer or wine, just mixed drinks. The Crepes are good with a variety to choose from. Crepes and drinks are not included in the room price like breakfast is. The same girl who does breakfast does the afternoon Crepes and drinks. Poopy, their dog os very nice. She took a liking to us. She would follow us to the beach and lay under my wife's chair. The nice thing is that when someone would try to sell us some useless trinkets, the dog would bark at them and scare them away. if I could add one thing to would be a clock in the room.
The beach chairs at Waikiki are included with the room at Palm Court. After reading some of the reviews about pushy beach attendants, and poor beach chair positions for the palm court guests, I was fully prepared to find the best location on the beach and just pay for the chairs. We walked the entire beach from the area known as Palm Beach, all the way to Pedro's. As far as I am concerned, the Waikiki area is among the best. We picked a couple of chairs that were already set up in the front row. Put our palm court towels on them and enjoyed the beach. About 10 minutes later Bengiman came by just to confirm we were staying at Palm Court and to see if we needed anything. He was available throughout the day, but not at all pushy. I noticed a few "reserved" signs at some of the chairs. I asked him how we could do the same. He asked how long we would be there and said that if we like where we were, those would be our chairs for the week. Simple as that. We had lunch at Waikiki. My wife had a large salad with grilled shrimp, I had the salad with grilled chicken. The food is OK, not anything special, but not bad. €20 each for lunch, €7 each for drinks . With the $ to € conversion $68 plug tip for lunch. Yes it's a bit high, but the chairs are free and you'r on vacation. The next day, our chairs were reserved for us as promised.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Palm Court Hotel? Share your experiences!