“5/29/12 broken into and robbed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Court Hotel

You added Palm Court Hotel to your Saves list
Palm Court Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Parc de la Baie Orientale, Orient Bay 97150, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Orient Bay
Jupiter, Florida
“5/29/12 broken into and robbed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

It has been 25 years since we were in St. Martin and having traveled all over the Caribbean and read Trip Adviser reviews as I always do to make good decisions before choosing places to stay. Well this time it was a really bad decision to choose Palm Court. If you are expecting to see pink cheeked French ladies with flowers and fresh baked bread in their bicycle baskets smiling as they pass you are in the wrong place. This dump is smack dab in the middle of a gypsy ghetto and you will see scars ,missing teeth,tatoos,squinty eyes and smell poor hygiene. Now when you go through the security gate you will notice razor wire strung out and shining in the sunlight and if you look at the small window in the toilet room it is screwed shut from the inside and there is no vent fan. This joke of a hotel has no security and the office is only open for a few hours each day and is staffed by people who are not experienced in the hospitality business. My wife and I went for a 10 day vacation centered around our 38th anniversary which was 5/30/12 we arrived 5/26/12 and were given room #13 on the first floor. The first night when Kathy tried to shower there was no pressure or hot water and the office was closed for the evening,she and I cleaned up as best as we could using the shower near the pool area. Waking up the next morning we were covered with ant bites and found them all over the room. When the office finally opened we mentioned this to the girl on duty, she reached under the counter and slammed down a can of insect spray an told us to return it when finished . We told the chamber maid about the problem and she changed the sheets and sprayed the room. The next night i woke up to find a large cockroach crawling over my arm,we went to the local market they had plenty of roach spray, it took us two days to kill the family of them that lived under the sink. When we told the management about this problem they responded that the person who takes care of that will not be there until Monday because this is a small French hotel she snapped back at us. We went to the beach which was pretty good and loved Bikini Beach bar. We were looking forward to celebrate our anniversary on tues. 5/30. Monday evening we went to the food court and had a pricey hamburger at Happy Days and it was pretty good. We left our room at about 6;30 to eat and upon our return at 8:30 we unlocked the door and decided to watch a movie on the laptop computer, when Kathy went to get it she could not find the bag that it was hidden near the suitcases. On the floor we found our passports and magazines which were in the computer bag, looking around the room other items were missing and a sick feeling came over us...WE GOT BROKEN INTO AND ROBBED! Our money and small valuables were locked in the room safe, but they got the Mac laptop,Ipad,Ipod,amplifier dock,voltage adapters and a bone handled German switch blade knife. The sneaky gypsy weasles had entered the room through the 11x22 inch toilet window and ripped us off. Now what to do? we did not know how to contact the police and Kathy went to Bikini Beach bar where Corina helped call them. The Gendarmes arrived quickly and called a forensic team to take finger prints. They told us that there is a lot of trouble in that area and have been to Palm Court before. Look at some of the pictures other people took of the front of the rooms and you can see the small window to left of the door. The next morning when the office opened they knew of the break in ,but did not come to our room to express any regrets and when we asked what they were going to do we did not receive a sincere apology . Next we asked about their insurance and were told that a police report with serial numbers and receipts of the stolen items would be necessary.. We went to the police station the following day and Kathy was able to obtain some for the laptop and the Ipad. We requested to change our room which was done because the shower drain would back up when the toilet was flushed and the a/c was not working well. Being very angry about the bad situation we walked around the area to check out the surroundings that shocked us when we saw where we were. We considered going to another hotel but thought that Palm Court might comp us for the stay...wrong they only took off for the night of the break in.
Chapter 2 "The French runaround"
Upon our return back to the US after a lousy vacation we gave PC hotel all serial numbers ,receipts etc.and emailed them about what their ins. co. was doing and when we could expect an answer and payment after all we did nothing wrong and did not leave anything out in the open an securely locked the room it was lack of security and no video to protect it's guests. Well email after email, stall and delay we finally got an answer"the amount of the stolen objects is less then their franchise?" but we will cover you for the cost of the damaged window in the amount of $398.00...we lost over $4000.00 of electronics and that is all we get! When asked about refunding part of our stay they forgot how to speak English. I contacted the St. Martin tourist bureau and was told by a Mr. Sam Fusco that he hears many times about robberies and the police never solve the crime or retrieve the stolen property. I got the $398.00 yesterday.
Chapter 3 Moral of the story stay away from Palm Court unless you are French because they don't care much for Americans and don't have good plumbing. Before you book any place that you have not seen ask about security and safety. The French have strange ideas about integrity and fairness and we were victims of that kind of thinking. What kind of hotel has razor wire to keep out vandals and crooks, if you ever see that turn around and run. I do not plan on returning to St. Martin.And thoughts in closing ..who knew exactly when we left for dinner that night and when we would return? Who knew that we had an expensive computer and ipad that was not in plain view? Who knew that the ipad had a GPS but never turned it on? Maybe this was an inside job made to look like a random robbery? Everything stated here is fact and can be documented...what smart answers do you have now Palm Court! Dick Kalaman

Room Tip: they don't have one
Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
JSHH, Front Office Manager at Palm Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Mr KALAMAN,
I personally want to answer you as I find your review to be very unfair and untrue.
First of all, I am sorry if you didn’t appreciate Orient Bay and its surroundings and if you find Orient Bay to be a “gypsy ghetto”.
Then, when you say that when you enter the hotel, people will notice a razor wire, I am really shocked. It seems like you forget that we placed this razor wire the next day following your robbery and you personally told me that you felt safer this way (especially when you chose to stay at Palm court even when I proposed you to change hotel – very weird to chose to stay in a dump when the receptionist personally asks you to help you move because you said you felt unsecure).
Same thing when you talk about the bathroom doors screwed shut: we did this following your robbery and same thing, it made you feel more secure at the moment.
The management thought that, since your robbers went through this window (and this is a fact since the gendarmes stated this!), it should do something so this doesn’t happen again! And again, Mr Kalaman, you said it was better.
Now, concerning the plumbing, I am sorry but I wasn’t aware of this problem. Maybe you saw this with my coworker but you never mentioned it to me (and we saw each other many times unfortunately because of what happened to you).
You say you requested to change rooms because of an AC not working and a problem with flush but this is not what happened. I proposed you to change rooms when you decided to stay at the hotel after the robbery and even put you on a higher level for you to feel more secure.
It is true that we have limited office hours as we are a small structure but every guest is told at check-in (and it is written in the rooms as well) that the guests can reach us on our cellular’s anytime by dialing 9. I am truly sorry that you didn’t remember that the night of the robbery.
You also seem to forget that this night, I knew about the robbery because the gendarmes dialed the hotel’s phone number in order to enter the gate. Then, when they explained me, I called you in your room and talked to your wife. She told me that she would deal with the gendarmes. I called an hour after to ask if everything went ok with the gendarmes and if you needed anything.
Then, the next morning, I personally came to see you to apologize and know exactly what happened!
You also forget that I came with you by the gendarmerie to record the robbery and help you with the translation and French paper work.
Now, yes, you’ve been robbed and we feel very sorry about this. And indeed, if you contact both tourism bureau (because Mr FUSCO is a member of the dutch tourism office), they will tell you that there can be robberies, like everywhere in the world. Maybe you didn’t experience this in the other Caribbean islands but it could happen and I am sorry that it happened to you on our lovely island.
Palm court is always doing its best for guests to feel secure and this is why, after what happened to you, I did everything in my power to feel good and safe (I even hired a security guard for the rest of your stay!). I am sorry you are now using this to denigrate our hotel (like it was there from the beginning of your stay).
I am also sorry that you didn’t have insurance for all your APPLE outlets and that you only got $400 but these are the insurance terms. This is unfair that you decide to put a fake review on TripAdvisor just because you expected the hotel to refund you everything!
There is one thing that I will stop right there: your insinuations about a possible inside employee responsible for your robbery.
The gendarmes made an investigation and found out that only a young teenager (or child considered the size of the window they got into) could have done something like that. Then even found fingerprints so I really doubt any of our employees has this size and besides, we trust our employees who’ve been there many years with us without such a problem and such accusations.
I am not writing this in order to start a fight but to tell the truth and show the trip advisor’s readers that some reviews can sometimes be just be written in order to do some wrong at the hotel (with no real reason).
Mr Kalaman, I’ve been correct with you from the beginning to the end and I am always at the disposal of my guests so again, I understand that you are mad about the robbery but totally don’t understand why you would lie about the other stuff.
Anyway, I wish you and Kathy well and to have a better experience in Saint Martin (which is a nice island when you take the time to discover it) even if it is in a different hotel.
Alexandra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Los Angeles, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Where to begin...

1. The owner is not a people friendly person.
2. This place is advertised as a full kitchenet, but the cooking top did not work, the mini fridge was not cool enough to keep food.
3. The toilet is in it's own seperate room and the owner had bolted the bathroom window shut so you could not open it.
4. There were ants all over in the room and I have received multiple bug bites from the room.
5. There is not a constant person at the front desk to assist you even though there is a sign that says the reception is open from 8:30 am to 7 pm.
6. Most of the TV channels in the room are in french and 3 channels at the most in english.
7. Most of the night life happens on the Dutch side down by the airport which is way to far to drive back to the hotel if you have been drinking.
8. Orient Beach is like the wild west, Very busy and happening during the day, but once dusk comes, all of the beach bars close down and everyone heads inside.

I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: No room is worth paying for in this place as you will not be able to buy food and cook for yourself...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Montecito, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Attitude and Biting Dog
Orient Bay the beach and Plaza are nice and we had lots of fun. Orient Bay the residence and hotel area however looks like Disneyland’s Main Street after a crack induced weekend. Buildings need painting and a gardener. The Palm Court Hotel is well groomed and stands out far better than the rest of the complex. The owner has a dog that runs around greeting guest and escorting them to their rooms. The dog is called “Puppy” pronounced “Poopy” with the French accent. Puppy followed us out to dinner and two different beach bars and back to the hotel. A party dog for sure but don’t get her excited on the beach, it might nip you and jump up on you with it’s long sharp nails injuring you like it did me. I have a bruise on the thigh from the dog’s nip. I told the owner and she was like, “oh well.” Not even a sorry. I expected more for this being rated by Trip Advisor as the #1 hotel in Orient Bay, it’s easy to be #1 when the rest is really poop. When the water went off for 30 minutes or so, I called the owner and she said, “They cut it off sometimes and they don’t tell us”, “Sorry”. Well it would have been nice to know before soaping my body up in the shower that the water is subject to being cut off without warning. The design of the buildings, are nice and the room was clean, although the toilet room had a locked window, leaving you to your own smells without ventilation. I kept hearing what I thought was someone running back and forth in their room above while I was trying to sleep, but it turned out to be the wind knocking the roof about. When all is quiet and nothing going on, it is annoying. It is a solid 3 star hotel, so don’t look for the personal service, because it doesn’t happen here. The lady owner seemed annoyed at questions on the phone, she was like, “now what” in attitude, not words. I called her twice, to ask about the water being cut off and if she had an electrical adaptor for 120v. If you don’t have your own computer and have to use the hotel’s, you better get there before 5pm because even though she says she closes the office at 6pm, don’t trust that. I just expected better service at just over $200 a night, that’s all. It is annoying to have to enter and exit the property through the driveway gate with a code. Next time I will continue my stay in Grand Case and just take the 10 minute drive over to Orient Bay to party.

Room Tip: Count on smelling the poop of everyone staying in your room because the toliet room's window may...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Harlingen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Our first trip to St Martin and we chose the Palm Court Hotel because of location and the great reviews on TripAdvisor. The staff was VERY friendly and beyond accomodating! We arrived at the Palm Court very late (after reception hours) but Alex was very sweet and made arrangements for us to check-in on our own. Alex was also very nice to email me driving directions before we arrived and she even reserved an excursion for us to Prickly Pear on board the Winner Touch (also highly recommend).The breakfast at the hotel is included with your stay and they offer a good variety of breads & fruits, etc. and it's a great opportunity to meet the other guests at the hotel. In the afternoon, they offer cocktails and crepes for purchase - - we enjoyed stopping in for a quick drink on our way in from the beach. The location of this hotel is GREAT!! It's slightly hidden, but it's literally a 2 minute walk to Orient Village and a 3 minute walk to Orient Beach. The grounds of the hotel are beautifully kept - wonderful trees and plants everywhere. As it was our first trip, we weren't sure whether we should worry about safety and crime, but we always felt very safe in Orient Village and at The Palm Court Hotel - the hotel and parking lot are gated (one of the few gated hotels in Orient). We loved St Martin and we will definitely be back! And, we will definitely stay at the Palm Court Hotel again!! Just FYI - if you're a big resort kind of person - this is not the hotel for you.

Room Tip: The second floor offers a nice breeze and view from your balcony!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

The staff at Palm Court can't be beat. From Alexandra in the reception area, to Judine in the hospitality area, to the chambermaids, the staff is friendly, helpful and efficient. This is the fourth year that my husband and I have stayed at Palm Court and we will stay there again next year.
The proximity to Orient Beach,with free chairs and umbrellas provided at Wakiki Beach, is terrific, and easy access to local markets and restaurants make the location of Palm Court ideal. The morning breakfasts and afternoon crepes served by Judine are "icing on the cake."

Room Tip: The second floor rooms offer more light and more privacy, but if you need handicap access, choose th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Our fist full week stay at the Palm. Private gated property with lush gardens and wild life. Very well maintained. The bright colors get little annoying after a few days. Although the room was generally very clean we had bugs in our bed the first night and got ate up under the sheets. They changed all bed and it was better afterwards.

You can't enjoy the balcony very much because of the tiny bugs with the big bite you never see. No screen door to enjoy the breeze.

Negatives

1. 90 percent French TV, so don't expect to relax in evening by the Telly . Poor reception on abc channel.
2. Beach chairs are in a poor location relative to best beach spots. Skip them and pay $15 at Kakao the best food overall and service on the beach.
3. Large Average bed, not extremely comfortable. No comfortable chair or couch in the room.

Positives

1. Good location. Short walk to village and beach.
2. Nice breakfast with fresh boiled eggs, fruit and assorted breads.
3. Pool bar nice place to relax after day at the beach for few drinks.
4. Lots hot water good water pressure. Air conditioning worked well.
5. Well maintained facility.

Will we come back, maybe? In October we plan to stay at Grand Case Beach Club and drive to Orient. Palm does not compare to GCBC. Better than Alamanda.

Overall most will find it a satisfactory place to stay. Nice staff and no hassles.

• Stayed May 2012
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We recently spent 5 nights in mid-April 2012 and could not have chosen a better location or found a more friendly staff. Clean, spacious, and secure accommodations which are located only a 2 minute walk from the Waikiki Beach area made this very convenient. There are multiple restaurants and beach bars within walking distance only minutes away or you can take a short ride to Grand Case for even more selections. The hotel offers a great breakfast and a happy hour around the pool in the afternoon. Alex and her staff could not be more accommodating to include "poopie" the hotel mascot. We would return again without question.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor provides a better view
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Palm Court Hotel? Share your experiences!