“Too many fellow cruisers!” 4 of 5 stars

St Maarten Half-Day Trip to Orient and Maho Beach
Activities: Swimming, Sunbathing, Drinking, Parasailing
Willow Grove
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Too many fellow cruisers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

On a day that had 6 large cruise ships at port in Phillipsburg, St Maartin, it was no surprise that much anticipated ship's excursion to Orient Beach, St Martin would be crowded! The beach itself, the water and it's scenery is spectacular. The beach with its shoulder to shoulder lounge chairs with umbrellas and the vendors, no quite so engaging. Two years ago the same excursion was relaxing and definitely far away from the Jersey Shore. This year the crowds, were reminiscent of Wildwood(although there were a few strolling topless women in their late 50's or 60's), but with class, no boardwalk and better scenery. A never ending throng of sunworshippers paraded between the lapping water and the lounge chairs lined up on the narrow beach. Where were they going?... maybe to find a decent bathroom facility?...I don't know! I still blame the crowded condition on the fact that there are just too many darned ships at port on that day. I feel sorry for those who were not from any of the cruise ships and had to contend with us cruisers--hopefully they had some days when the port wasn't so crowded!

• Polish first
Webster, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Atlantic facing beach has big surf and fun activities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Parasailing experience was awesome! Floating in the air at sky-scraper height is as close to flying as you'll get.
Orient Bay is also a great beach for just people watching, too.

Chicago, Illinois
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“too crowded”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is probably one of the bigger beaches but it's way too crowded. Great if you have kids as there are lots of activities to indulge them.

Visited November 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Beautiful Beach Recommend Palm Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We went to Palm Beach on our visit to Orient Bay. We ate lunch and were given free chairs with a nice cushion. This was less crowded and you were waited on. Also you had a nice shower and bathrooms.

Austin, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Beautiful Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was on a cruise and St. Maarten was one of our Ports of Call. I took the shore excursion that cost $59.00. The tour guide and bus driver were very good coming and going. Other tour guides from the same company wee very welcoming at the beach, The $59 included bus transportation to and from the port to the beach. We had a rum drink and a delicious lunch. We got to spend about three hours right on the beach. We had our own private section with costs. The beach is beautiful. Waves can be strong. Be careful. Because I usually travel alone, I seldom can get in the water when I go to the beaches. But I was very comfortable leaving my things on my cot with my group from the cruise and finally taking a plunge.