“Average beach-Over Rated” 3 of 5 stars

Williamstown NJ
47 attraction reviews
“Average beach-Over Rated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We visited St Martin during our Caribbean cruise on 11/10/12. We rented a car for a day to visit the island on our own. We visited Mullet, Maho and Orient Beaches that day for a couple hours each. I will give a seperate review for each.

Orient beach was the last beach we visited on St Martin. It was our least favorite of the three.
The beach was average in our opinion. It was not as great as we expected after reading all the great reviews. The beach had a circus-like atmosphere. It was packed from one end to the others with beach bars, food vendors, people trying to rent you a chair and go on their various water sports. People kept trying to sell you pot and braid your hair.Food and drink prices were high.

We tried snorkeling and didn't see any fish. The water was not very clear or calm. There were several small islands off shore were pretty to look at. The beach seems over developed and busy and not very relaxing to us.

We strolled from one end to the other on Orient Beach. It was not as big as we expected. It started out family rated, then as you got more towards nude end there were several ladies sunbathing topless. We stopped at the nude beach sign and didn't go any further because we had teeanagers with us. We glanced down the beach. The majority of people looked like mostly male over 50 crowd that day..

There were lots of beach volleyball courts and various othe beach games, but not sure how to get involved if you are not part of a group.

Parking was tough. We had to drive around parking lot several minutes to find an open spot, and the parking lot is huge. More guys in parking lot trying to sell us pot.

We are glad we went once to experience Orient Beach, but would not be in a rush to go back.

• Polish first
chicago
77 attraction reviews
“Very Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We really liked this beach. This is a clothing optional beach. 2 Chairs and umbrella was $15.00. A great day. We loved the Kaho restaurant on this beach. Excellent! The while sand is wonderful, the water is wonderful. You will have a great day.

Lenoir, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
“Nice Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

A nice beach, however the only people who really have the right to take off their tops all have theirs on and vise versa ha ha ha

Malvern, Pennsylvania
“Watch Out American Tourists”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have been going to Orient Beach since 2005. I usually come to St Maarten about three weeks a year and spend at 5-6 times per visit at this beautiful beach. Well, I will never, ever go there again. Today is November 18, 2012 and my wife, brother and sister in law left there less than 30 minutes ago (we are all in our mid fifties). I was driving a rental car (they all have white license plates, front and rear) home to the Dutch side and following two local cars (with yellow license plates) and still within the resort area when I was profiled and a local cop, some huge "muscle" man and his sidekick, both with sidearms, made me pull over and submit to a breathalyzer test to determine my BAC level. His attitude was as I have come to expect from the French in general. Fortunately for me, I blew a .05, the legal limit for the French is 1.35 according to this clown. He was not satisfied with the results and I was made to blow into the unit two more times. I was let go, but I must say that it was a most intimidating experience in front of my guests. Other cars with yellow tags were allowed to pass and the only other car pulled over was one with white tags. I will never go back, and I suggest that unless you are a teetotaler DO NOT EVER GO THERE.
John S, Malvern, Pa.

Fort William, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“Decidedly average....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

had read lots about this beach but from the moment we arrived it was awful.... pushy vendors and a poor atmosphere...
we had met some people at one of the other beaches we had been to and they felt the same as us - we should have stayed at the other beach!!
the vendors just wouldn't take no for an answer - followed us - tried to make us buy food, drinks, loungers, rent jet skis.... felt really uncomfortable...
a pity because it is a beautiful setting.

Visited October 2012