“A few great days!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wpg
“A few great days!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We stayed at L'Hoste a few months ago but finally got a few minutes to send my review. The location on Orient Beach is perfect, the beach is wonderful and its a nice walk either way as this is in the middle. The place is a little dated but the rooms are clean and the people who work there are very friendly. We enjoyed the continental breakfast each morning with the wonderful croissant and great juice and coffee, the pool is a great place to get refreshed and some shade if wanted. just down the beach on the left side are bars and restaurants, Orange Fever is awesome! And the guys that work there are great! And of course just past there is Club Orient (nude) all good, At night we took a taxi ($5) across to Grand Case and the spectacular restaurants. We also stayed out by the airport at Maho Beach for a couple days, loved it there too, hotel was great food was awesome! We have visited many Island and St. martin is right up there with our favorites.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stayed at L'Hoste for 6 nights, this past July. The staff was great. The breakfast included in our package was quite plentiful. The room was very good and the location was just what we wanted. Great restaurants literally walking distance. Beautiful beach. The hotel could use a little facelift. We shall return!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I am frankly surprised by the last two negative reviews of this hotel - makes it seem like we stayed in different hotels.

My wife, son and I stayed at L'Hoste last week and have a wonderful things to say about this hotel. The first floor room where we stayed (#114) was large and well appointed, with two king-size beds, HD television, bathroom with a separate toilet, a small microwave, a dormitory-sized refrigerator, small kitchen, sink with assorted plates, silverware and glasses, and an air-conditioner that worked very well. Internet service was fast and we had no signal strength issues. The room was very clean and there were no ants as reported in the two previous reviews. Soap and amenities (small bottles of shampoo/conditioner) were provided daily. The hotel is solidly constructed with heavy walls as we never once heard or neighbours either above or to the side of our room. Allow me to add that we were very concerned about the Chikungunya virus and were on the lookout for mosquitoes - we saw/felt none.

The parking lot to the hotel has a motorized gate that closed at 7:30 p.m., and one had to have a code to open it after this time. Entry into the Orient Bay area is controlled by a private security booth. We felt secure at all times in the hotel and in the nearby shopping area (wonderful bakery less than 15 metres from the southern side of the hotel).

The hotel front desk provides beach towels on demand. Beach chairs and parasols are also provided for guests just in front of the La Playa restaurant for free. There is a mid-sized pool that is well maintained. The beach in front of the hotel was very nice with the right mixture of wind and waves. The beach faces east and sunrise, if you are up at that time, from the beach is absolutely gorgeous.

Breakfast at La Playa restaurant is included with the room as well as a welcome drink - we opted for the fruit punch which was very good. Breakfast included an assortment of breads, pain au chocolat, croissants, yogurt, tea, jelly, you can even ask for Guava juice. The two restaurant staff that were there during our stay were very attentive and multilingual - they spoke Spanish, French, and English (typical of many of the people who work in the hotel industry of St. Martin).

The staff were wonderful - ranging from the front desk staff, to the maintenance staff, to the absolutely friendly and welcoming staff at La Playa. The hotel guests that we spoke with were from nearby islands (Guadeloupe, Martinique, etc.), Canada, USA, Netherlands, and France.

Lastly, the hotel was situated less than 10 minutes by car from Grand Case, and just about half an hour from Marigot.

I very rarely give hotels that I review a "5", but this hotel earns a well-deserved "5" from me.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Spent one night here in early July. I'm glad we only stayed one night! While the location is good, the hotel is not. This hotel is in serious need of updating. Floor tiles were cracked, linens were worn out, toilet rusty, etc. Ants were everywhere! The continental breakfast consisted of bread, croissants, corn flakes, oatmeal and juice. While the restaurant is on the beach, none of the hotel rooms are. Beach bar & restaurant were closed before 6pm. The area has a number of restaurants and shops in the immediate vicinity but I didn't feel comfortable enough to stay out after dark. We went to the Dutch side and stayed at the Royal Islander La Plage in Maho after and it was an enormous upgrade. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Nothing short of a third world hotel...ants everywhere. Broken sinks. No wifi in the rooms...stray cats wondering everywhere........had to switch rooms the second day.......went to visit my brother at the royal palm in Simpson bay and was blown away by his wonderful hotel arrangements.....if you want to waste your money by all means stay here......

Room Tip: Do not stay here....
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
new york, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

My family and I just returned from a great vacation at L'Hoste. I was pleasantly surprised by how much we loved it! In the past, my husband and I had stayed in Grand Case, but this time we were traveling with our children, so L'Hoste's amenities and location appealed to us. From the moment that we checked into the hotel, we were happy with our decision to stay there. Katy and Kelly at the reception desk were wonderful. They happily answered all of our questions, ranging from the best bug spray for kids to the best restaurants in the village. My twin daughters were celebrating their birthday during our trip, and when we went into our room we found their bed decorated with flowers and beach toys waiting in the corner. It was the perfect welcome!

We stayed in a "family room" on the 2nd floor of the building attached to reception. The room was simple but pretty, and a decent size for two adults and two children. It was very quiet. It had a balcony, from which you could see through the palm trees to the ocean. Some of the pictures that I saw of the family rooms had curtains that seemed to divide the room, which I would have liked. Our room had a narrow curtain that separated the two beds, which was enough to keep the light off my daughter's faces when they fell asleep before us. But it didn't offer much in the way of privacy.

The room had a TV. The upper channels were in English, and my daughters were delighted to find that they had Nick Jr. We didn't watch TV often, but it was a nice diversion for jet-lagged kiddos to have something that was familiar. There was also a very small kitchenette. I didn't attempt to use the stove, but it was nice to have the small refrigerator for snacks, water and left-over dinners.

The daily breakfast at La Playa was great... it was a typical European spread with cereal, yogurts, fruit, bread and wonderful croissants. The coffee was also delicious! We spent several days just hanging out at the beautiful beach in front of La Playa, and we had several lunches there. The food was shockingly good! (I wasn't expecting much from a beach bar, so I was kind of blown away!)

I was also very happy with the hotel's proximity to Orient Village. It was just a few hundred yards away. They had several shops, a great little grocery store, and a bunch of delicious restaurants. We ate there every night, and never had to worry about getting in the car to drive to dinner.

L'Hoste has a swimming pool, which my daughters loved. They spent hours splashing around and learning how to swim. The pool isn't super fancy, but it was perfect for our needs.

The only reasons I'm not giving the hotel five stars is because there were some problems with the wifi in the room... it's availability was pretty spotty, especially at night. Also, while the room was pretty and comfortable, it did have some quirks... a few rusty spots in the kitchenette, an unpainted wall over the sliding door, headboards that weren't connected to the bed so they kept banging against the wall. But these would in no way stop me from going back, and I didn't notice them after 10 minutes in the room.

All-in-all, I would describe the hotel as comfortable, laid-back, friendly, and in a perfect location. I look forward to returning!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

L'hoste hotel is an excellent hotel , the staff is sooo friendly and it's an ideal beach spot.
But Avoid by all means their watersport activity center - Watersport Le a Playa or Parasail Evasion as they have no proper insurance to cover you in case of emergencies .

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to L'Hoste Hotel? Share your experiences!