“A stinky hotel” 2 of 5 stars

116 Baie Orientale | BP 5146, Orient Bay 97071, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Orient Bay
“A stinky hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel a few times before. Unfortunately, this was the last time we’ll stay there. There are three major areas I strongly disliked.
1) A family of at least six cats living on the hotel grounds. They are not toilet trained to perform their private business in the bushes; hence, they urinate and defecate everywhere. Their feces were left unattended and dried in the sun by the poolside for at least four days. I could not believe it.

2) No wi-fi service in the guest rooms. Hence, everyone who wants to get online is sitting in the open area near the front desk and being bitten up by mosquitoes in hot weather.

3) Breakfast was the worst ever – they eliminated hotel’s kitchen and subcontracted breakfast to the restaurant next door, La Playa. The food was terrible, and they no longer provide fruits or eggs.

The best part about the hotel is it is that it is 3 minute walk to the beach. Unfortunately, I do not wish to give up services that other hotels offer to be close to the beach.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

312 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I cannot believe I had such a great time here. If you have read many of my other reviews I admit I am a hotel snob. Anyhow ths place seemed nice on the internet. We had stayed at the Westin last April and weren't happy, it was too sterile and secluded. We decided we wanted the French side. This was on the further end of Orient Beach where there is a wider beach so the beach was excellent, nothing is better than Grace Bay Beach in Turks and Caicos, but ths was nice.

We arrived and had 2 rooms, one was for our daughter and son in law and the 2 children. we were all sick when we saw this pace, we arrived from NYC about 8PM and no one was at reception, but there was a note that the rooms keys were in the draw. We took the keys and saw the rooms and we were all a mess, The rooms had been a mess, with rust and grundge everywhere. The next morning, we opened up our very liud NY voices and got put into other rooms, they were better but still pretty bad We wanted to leave but to be honest not too much of the smaller hotels on the French side are alot better. The 3rd morning we moved to a better room on the 3rd floor. Still not great. They do have a fridge and microwave etc. but its across from the bathroom so no way would we eat and sleep and anything else in this room. The terrace view was major ugly.

The grounds are unkempt and disgusting. The free breakfast is nothing to write home about However the people are FUN, everyone there was a person of means and yet came back year after year for like 12 and 15 yrs. Its so much fun at this dump, the staff does keep the rooms very clean but they are so shabby its hard. I gathered the place has been getting run down and its been recently sold and the new people will restore it. The location is maybe the best on the beach, the beach is the best on the Frech side.

Its so insane but after being there a week, we know we will go back, how insane are we, but it was an adventure and we met amazing fun people. I never thot I could have a great time at a place like this.... People stay there for 3 weeks at a time... Its a terrible mess but you'll miss it when you leave..

Don;t stay on the ground floor, if possible upgrade to the 3rd floor. Don't stay in the first 2 builidings furthest away from the beach either..

Room Tip: only stay in the rooms from the beach til the reception area and not past reception. Don;t stay on t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
chattanooga tn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had a wonderful time at L'Hoste. The staff were friendly and eager to please. A short walk to the beach and Orient Village. Housekeeping did a great job- room was kept very clean. Room was spacious with American TV, WiFi in lobby and at La Playa restaurant. Free breakfast was a nice selection of pastries, yogurt and cereal, which suited us fine . The view was spectacular from the breakfast area. We have stayed many places in St Martin, but this is our fav.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The wildly mixed reviews of this place indicate that the expectations of the travelers affect their impressions of this property. If you want all inclusive vacation packages, go somewhere else. The charm of this place is that it is VERY French. They do speak English, but not universally. The Breakfast is served out doors in a pavilion on the beach, Fantastic if you are okay with Continental breakfasts. Croissants, coffee, tea yogurt and cereals. For those who need more American style breakfasts, maybe disappointing. Don't flash a lot of cash. Don't bring expensive electronics or jewelry. The weather and the beaches are the draw. The exteriors are colorful and in decent shape, but the rooms are big, clean and very comfortable. Beware that just after sundown the mosquitoes come out to feed. There is one 120 v. outlet hidden in a cabinet over the microwave (sharing the circuit).

Room Tip: I've heard that the lower levels get burglarized occasionally, so we stayed on the 3rd floor and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have stayed at lhoste for fifteen years. This June 20th I went out to dinner came back nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Went to bed, woke up the next morning check my wallet in the safe to see how much money I had and found the safe opened wallet with 1000.00 dollars gone. I put my iPad in the safe with my wallet, gone. My 35 mm camera on my dresser gone. My two iPods and back pack gone. People wake up. This safe had a digital code. Camera's on the outside of the hotel showed no entry. Well, where did my stuff go. I notified management with 4 days left on this island. Had to wait 3hours for police to arrive. The next day had too travel 1 hour to police station to file a report. I had no money, no car.. Management gave me 100.oo dollars. Taxi was 20' taxi had too wait for 1hour n charged me another 20.oo. And then another 20.oo to get back to lhoste.
I will never return back to st.martin with deep regrets. Made a lot of friends there but to know someone was in my room and stole from me, cannot do it. Staying in the states for awhile as this was tough getting over. Be careful, anyone that visits. Be on guard.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Florence, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This was my third stay at L'Hoste Hotel, and I'd like to quickly dispel some of the unfavorable opinions expressed by fellow contributors. This hotel is a tremendous value, the staff are beautiful and accommodating to your every request, and location is everything.

The beautifully-tiled floors in the rooms are cleaned daily. Contrary to what others wrote, I never detected the smell of any cleaning solutions - arriving 10 minutes after they were done. In fact, they leave the doors open to allow the floor to dry before they leave.

The room is huge compared to more expensive hotels with a sliding glass door overlooking the trees but so close to the ocean, and the waves will lull you to sleep on a cool night. The very efficient air conditioning is adjustable down to 16C/ 62F, and indeed, my room was a very comfortable 72 degrees in August while hot and humid outside. One cool trick: they have an electric window storm shutter you can lower (switch is on the right ride of the window) which provides both darkness during the day and eases the AC in its efficiency on hot days. The room is absolutely quiet.

Super Tip: If you need to buy Euros, and most places will no longer accept credit cards, especially restaurants, go to the Change place next to the US Market in Grande Case on the right side, and if you buy more than US$ 100, they will give you a great rate. But if you buy more than $1,000, you can negotiate the daily rate banks charge! I bought Euros at 1.2378 because of the amount I bought, which was the daily rate worldwide! They apparently want American dollars and even gas stations will give you $1 for one Euro on the price. But the best restaurants want Euros in cash, so be prepared.

One comment about prices at L'Hoste and the surrounding areas: I paid almost half per night at L'Hoste than I did for a very small hotel room in Paris in a quiet and safe neighborhood a Metro ride from the tourist areas, and for the best restaurants in Grande Case, I averaged $70 per person for an incredible meal and great wine, compared to an average of $160 per person in Paris for lower quality food and service. I worry people commenting on the cost of hotels, restaurants, or even food at the grocery stores are used to the lower cost-of-living towns in the US, and not accustomed to European prices. I've traveled throughout Europe, and St. Martin is clearly a "Best Buy"!

I need an effective refrigerator for my medications, and my thermometer read a perfect 38F degrees with lower settings available. The bathroom has a deep tub with a side seat (see photo) and a shower head with a long connector. Some of the rooms have showers. I used the “foot washer” by the swimming pool to wash off the beach sand before I came into my room, and took quick showers if I'd been swimming in the ocean, so I never had a grain of sand in my bed, on my clothing, or near my camera equipment.

The wonderfully large private pool provided a clean and safe alternative to the beach, and children were in it every afternoon. It is surrounded by beautiful trees and plants, and available 24 hours. It cannot be seen from the road, so you have privacy from all but other guests. They have plenty of cushioned recliners and umbrellas. Such convenience.

The free breakfast has changed slightly to coffee/tea, french bread/croissants, pain chocolate, yogurt, cereal, and fresh juice, but the fruit tray is now an extra 8 Euros. The dinette inside your room for cooking (see photo) comes with all the plates, pans, and utensils you'd ever need. I bought and cooked Rainbow trout, microwaved potatoes, used the wine glasses happily, and often made my own American-style breakfast with fresh eggs, ham, juice, and fresh French pastries.

Another suggestion: The water in the bathroom reached 160 degrees and the sink was perfect for washing all my dishes, utensils and glasses (although the cleaning lady normally does it for you). I highly recommend bringing some dish detergent and a small amount of laundry cleaning fluids for those potential spills onto your holiday clothes, and take advantage of the hot water in the bathroom!

I was there in mid-August and never saw one bug. No mosquitoes at Orient Bay! I saw a cute white kitten everyone adored, though. I was also there during the brief Tropical Storm Isaac, and everything was cleaned up in hours. We never lost electricity.

The television is a plasma 42 inch HD television with DISH cable channels. The Americans can watch CBS, ABC, and NBC out of New York. There are plenty of stations from France, local stations, and the best American cable stations. They also have some STARZ, HBO, and Showtime channels. If you’re sunburned or just can’t stay out in the sun the entire day, this is a welcome luxury over some of the other (more expensive) hotels.

Grocery shopping is easy, convenient and close at the Grand Marche in Phillipsburg. They closed the Match in Marigot, but there's a US Market in Grande Case which is closer but not as large. Dining in your room is comfortable, affordable, and you can buy some great wines at Grande Marche or US Market.

L’Hoste is a top choice for St. Martin because of its location to Orient Bay. La Playa is on the beach, offers free loungers for L'Hoste guests, and they'll bring you drinks until closing at 6 pm.

Because of the deterioration of the island's "ring road", if you want to go to the store or around the island, rent a taxi on an hourly basis rather than renting a car as I did. The sides of the roads have potholes that are dangerous in rain.

The off-season rate I paid was very low, and deals can be found on the Internet. I suggest calling Kelly and asking for the best rate, and she is wonderfully honest. As I mentioned, breakfast is free and available between 7 am and 9 am at La Playa overlooking the ocean. I recommend the restaurants in Grand Case for dinner, especially Estaminet (open 6 pm for dinner only).

I love Trip Advisor because it affords everyone the opportunity to review hotels, restaurants, etc. I highly recommend L'Hoste because the staff are friendly, caring, and dedicated to making you feel like you're visiting their home. If someone claims the staff are rude, I am suspect of the behavior of the guest, not the staff. When people claim there are bugs, I can only say I saw nor felt any, and the place is kept in impeccable condition. When they thought Tropical Storm Isaac might affect the guests, they provided clean instructions, extra drinking water, and suggestions on food to buy in case electricity was lost.

One final side note: My flight back home was cancelled due to weather, and the L'Hoste manager, an engaging and friendly lady (Judith), said "no problem" and gave me the same discounted rate for the extra night. She also said "safe and comfortable travels" and I thanked her and said I look forward to returning. I cannot express how I felt as though I was staying at their home, not their business. It was all so wonderfully personal. I did not encounter one person not fluent in English!

In my opinion, the staff at L'Hoste, from the owners to the cleaning staff, actually do care very much for their guests based on my experience after staying a total of forty days over three different years. I come to L'Hoste because they treat everyone like family, and what more can you ask from hoteliers?

Room Tip: In my opinion, all rooms are equally clean, quiet, and with a great location.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

The french side of st Martin will greet you with high food prices and rude people, tourists and locals. I was disappointed in the steep prices for just about everything, and be prepared, if you don't speak French, to not hold a conversation in English even with waiters and such. The beaches are nice, but the sandy beds and nasty bug bites can really make or break your trip.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to L'Hoste Hotel? Share your experiences!