“A stinky hotel” 2 of 5 stars

116 Baie Orientale | BP 5146, Orient Bay 97071, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Orient Bay
“A stinky hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel a few times before. Unfortunately, this was the last time we’ll stay there. There are three major areas I strongly disliked.
1) A family of at least six cats living on the hotel grounds. They are not toilet trained to perform their private business in the bushes; hence, they urinate and defecate everywhere. Their feces were left unattended and dried in the sun by the poolside for at least four days. I could not believe it.

2) No wi-fi service in the guest rooms. Hence, everyone who wants to get online is sitting in the open area near the front desk and being bitten up by mosquitoes in hot weather.

3) Breakfast was the worst ever – they eliminated hotel’s kitchen and subcontracted breakfast to the restaurant next door, La Playa. The food was terrible, and they no longer provide fruits or eggs.

The best part about the hotel is it is that it is 3 minute walk to the beach. Unfortunately, I do not wish to give up services that other hotels offer to be close to the beach.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I cannot believe I had such a great time here. If you have read many of my other reviews I admit I am a hotel snob. Anyhow ths place seemed nice on the internet. We had stayed at the Westin last April and weren't happy, it was too sterile and secluded. We decided we wanted the French side. This was on the further end of Orient Beach where there is a wider beach so the beach was excellent, nothing is better than Grace Bay Beach in Turks and Caicos, but ths was nice.

We arrived and had 2 rooms, one was for our daughter and son in law and the 2 children. we were all sick when we saw this pace, we arrived from NYC about 8PM and no one was at reception, but there was a note that the rooms keys were in the draw. We took the keys and saw the rooms and we were all a mess, The rooms had been a mess, with rust and grundge everywhere. The next morning, we opened up our very liud NY voices and got put into other rooms, they were better but still pretty bad We wanted to leave but to be honest not too much of the smaller hotels on the French side are alot better. The 3rd morning we moved to a better room on the 3rd floor. Still not great. They do have a fridge and microwave etc. but its across from the bathroom so no way would we eat and sleep and anything else in this room. The terrace view was major ugly.

The grounds are unkempt and disgusting. The free breakfast is nothing to write home about However the people are FUN, everyone there was a person of means and yet came back year after year for like 12 and 15 yrs. Its so much fun at this dump, the staff does keep the rooms very clean but they are so shabby its hard. I gathered the place has been getting run down and its been recently sold and the new people will restore it. The location is maybe the best on the beach, the beach is the best on the Frech side.

Its so insane but after being there a week, we know we will go back, how insane are we, but it was an adventure and we met amazing fun people. I never thot I could have a great time at a place like this.... People stay there for 3 weeks at a time... Its a terrible mess but you'll miss it when you leave..

Don;t stay on the ground floor, if possible upgrade to the 3rd floor. Don't stay in the first 2 builidings furthest away from the beach either..

Room Tip: only stay in the rooms from the beach til the reception area and not past reception. Don;t stay on t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
chattanooga tn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had a wonderful time at L'Hoste. The staff were friendly and eager to please. A short walk to the beach and Orient Village. Housekeeping did a great job- room was kept very clean. Room was spacious with American TV, WiFi in lobby and at La Playa restaurant. Free breakfast was a nice selection of pastries, yogurt and cereal, which suited us fine . The view was spectacular from the breakfast area. We have stayed many places in St Martin, but this is our fav.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The wildly mixed reviews of this place indicate that the expectations of the travelers affect their impressions of this property. If you want all inclusive vacation packages, go somewhere else. The charm of this place is that it is VERY French. They do speak English, but not universally. The Breakfast is served out doors in a pavilion on the beach, Fantastic if you are okay with Continental breakfasts. Croissants, coffee, tea yogurt and cereals. For those who need more American style breakfasts, maybe disappointing. Don't flash a lot of cash. Don't bring expensive electronics or jewelry. The weather and the beaches are the draw. The exteriors are colorful and in decent shape, but the rooms are big, clean and very comfortable. Beware that just after sundown the mosquitoes come out to feed. There is one 120 v. outlet hidden in a cabinet over the microwave (sharing the circuit).

Room Tip: I've heard that the lower levels get burglarized occasionally, so we stayed on the 3rd floor and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have stayed at lhoste for fifteen years. This June 20th I went out to dinner came back nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Went to bed, woke up the next morning check my wallet in the safe to see how much money I had and found the safe opened wallet with 1000.00 dollars gone. I put my iPad in the safe with my wallet, gone. My 35 mm camera on my dresser gone. My two iPods and back pack gone. People wake up. This safe had a digital code. Camera's on the outside of the hotel showed no entry. Well, where did my stuff go. I notified management with 4 days left on this island. Had to wait 3hours for police to arrive. The next day had too travel 1 hour to police station to file a report. I had no money, no car.. Management gave me 100.oo dollars. Taxi was 20' taxi had too wait for 1hour n charged me another 20.oo. And then another 20.oo to get back to lhoste.
I will never return back to st.martin with deep regrets. Made a lot of friends there but to know someone was in my room and stole from me, cannot do it. Staying in the states for awhile as this was tough getting over. Be careful, anyone that visits. Be on guard.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

The french side of st Martin will greet you with high food prices and rude people, tourists and locals. I was disappointed in the steep prices for just about everything, and be prepared, if you don't speak French, to not hold a conversation in English even with waiters and such. The beaches are nice, but the sandy beds and nasty bug bites can really make or break your trip.

• Stayed July 2012
Cape Cod
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

After reading some negative reviews that we thought were petty we gave L"Hoste a try and were pleased that we did. It was a wonderful resort, the staff was extremely helpful. The continental breakfast was perfect and included croissants and baguettes, juice , yogurt, cold cereal, coffee/tea....The beach bar had good lunches. The resort is right on the beach which was great for walking and swimming. There was a little surf that was just right. The beach is very European (topless) but no big deal, Within a very close walk (minutes) was a little plaza with 7 restaurants. Our favorite was the Tai Chi . Also a convenience store/mini mkt was just around the corner. We rented a car right at the hotel for a day which we did twice. Nice not to have to arrange to return a car to the airport as we were leaving.Recommend a taxi to and from the airport.($35). Room was clean but a little dated but truthfully we were there very little. There was daily maid service and the room was always clean. WiFi available in gazebo area near reception desk. We would definately go again.

Room Tip: We had second floor "Bamboo Room" with a balcony. Very nice but no ocean views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to L'Hoste Hotel? Share your experiences!