“Hated to leave” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Orient Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Hated to leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

This was our second visit in 3 months. We have enjoyed our time there so much that we are planning our next visit. Here's what we like. An exceptionally friendly staff will treat you with respect and kindness. Housekeeping women often sing as they work, are cheerful, and appreciate a conversation. Rooms are clean and well maintained, and as the resort makes improvements, new mattresses and bedding have been appreciated. The management team works hard to provide a safe, pleasant space. The beach is clean, security evident and other guests friendly. We personally have no difficulty with the hours at the bar as our day begins with the morning beach walk, we swim, read and snorkel during the day, visit with others during happy hour at Papagayo, and then have an evening walk around the property before calling it a day.
As the previous reviewer mentioned, there is a sense of caring and inclusiveness, without being overbearing. Personal space is respected and new friends welcomed. It couldn't be better, and I'd readily recommend it to anyone comfortable with or wanting to try a clothing optional experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

I decided at the last minute to book a trip for my birthday, rather than sit home alone. Being a woman traveling alone has its own set of problems. Safety obviously, but most importantly, a lot of couples and families shy away from talking or including you. As soon as I stepped on that gorgeous beach, looking for a lone lounge chair, people started saying 'hi'. I didn't know how I would feel on a clothing optional beach, or what kind of people stay at one. Well, it turns out, the most friendly, generous, spirited, interesting people stay at one!

My first evening, sitting alone at the bar, it took about 20 minutes before one of the guests came up, introduced himself and his wife, and soon I was sitting with two tables of very fun people! It was like that with everyone! The next day at the beach, now feeling very comfortable, people remembered my name, introduced me to even more of the guests, and invited me to everything. Two couples took me out to dinner for my birthday!

As for the rooms, I really loved the kitchen being there, so that I could fix breakfast or lunch if I didn't want to knock it out 3 meals a day. The staff was very efficient and friendly.

I would agree that I was disappointed that the beach bar closed so early, as that is where I would have loved to spend the evening, watching the ocean with a cocktail. The music in the restaurant was fun, but simple. This isn't a casino, type of resort if that is what you're looking for. I for one was very glad that it wasn't that type of resort.

I plan on going back next year, hopefully sooner! I have never been so relaxed and at peace! And I've made a ton of new friends!

Since cameras are not allowed for everyone's privacy, I have only included pictures of my room. You can get a feel for that aspect.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

The disappointment with this resort can be summed up in one sentence: "The bar closes at 10:00 pm, seriously." The pictures on the new website showing young, tone and tan twenty somethings partying into the night is laughable. I'm sorry, we are in our 40's so we aren't young anymore either, but we still like to have a good time. Our idea of a good time isn't watching people dance to "At the Hop", who we suspect learned the dance back when originated, and then go off to bed by 10:00 pm. We doubt this changes any time soon since a lot of the units are owned by the way. There are a A LOT better places to say in St. Martin. Take our advise and rent a villa and visit Orient Beach, the best beach in the world, during the day because there is nothing to see there after the sun goes down.

Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

Just returned from my first visit over Valentine's Day. I can only echo what everyone else has said about this resort. The beach is spectacular, the weather perfect and all of this with a staff which seems to look for ways to help you enjoy yourself. My wife and I spent 10 days there without even leaving the resort. We lounged on the beach, went snorkeling, took a day cruise and completely relaxed. It was heaven! The restaurant had entertainment every night, the food and service were outstanding and the best part was being able to do all of it without clothes. We've already booked again for the same time next year!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

My wife and I stayed in beach chalet #72 for 5 days at the begining of November. We did a RCI time share swap the week before .
It was one of the best vactions we have ever had. The beach, the chalet and the staff were all fantastic. We met some very nice people on the beach and around the resort.
We spent 11 days on the Club O beach from sun up till sundown. Bought pastry at the boutique every morning , had lunch at one either Papagayos or Andy and Cheryls, happy hour at The Perch and stayed on the beach till the sun went down.
Can"t wait to get back.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

My wife and I recently spent 8 fantastic days and nights at Club Orient. We both felt that it was the most relaxing "get-away-from -it -all" vacation we've had. We'd had only one clothing optional expereince before (on a small beach that was on part of larger resort) plus a single day on the Club O beach while visting St Marten on a cruise, so we are not what I'd consider very experienced "naturists". That made no difference as it was simple and natural to shed our clothes here, me for the entire week. The climate is ideal, so warm 24/7. The other guests and staff alike were very nice and friendly, the atmosphere totally comfortable. The beach is long and near perfect , the best we've been to in the Carribean, with fun snorkling at either end of the C.O. section (which is @ 1/3 of a 1.5 mile beach) on reefs, with soft sand bottom between. The restuarant right on the beach was so good, pleasant, varied that we never left the resort for a meal even though we'd planned to. We did make breakfasat in our room with food we brought or bought in the resort store. Suggest you bring some staples using the suitcase space you do not need for clothes! The single story 1 and 2 unit cottages created a nice "village" feeling. We met many great people from all over the world and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The only hard part was leavin But we plan to return.

South Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

If you are comming for the first time it would be best to take a taxi to the resort and then rent a car. Getting from the airport to the resort can be hard because there are no road signs indicating the resorts location from the main road.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orient Bay
#4 of 7 in Orient Bay
4.0 of 5 stars 411 reviews
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Club Orient Resort? Share your experiences!