—13 nights in a Mini-Suite Deluxe—
We had been to naturist beaches before but never a clothing-optional resort. We were a bit nervous of being in the nip everywhere, but actually it was just the most relaxed and natural thing. Actually we both felt the need to dress for the restaurant, and one of us in the shop. But that was of no consequence - it's clothing OPTIONAL, so you just dress as much or as little as you want.
The site was impeccably clean ... so clean, in fact, that we used the toilets next to the restaurant with no shoes and no qualms. All the surfaces are grass or sand, so shoes were unnecessary (though it can get hot underfoot). All the staff were exceptionally friendly, helpful and relaxed. And a huge amount of work clearly goes into maintenance: on the couple of occasions we reported a minor problem the response was quick and effective.
The Mini-suite deluxe was roomy and pleasant, with a large firm bed and good catering equipment ~ self-catering is possible. Although it's on the French side of the island, Dutch-spec power points were also provided. The wifi didn't get used much, but was reliable the one time we needed it. The aircon was effective, though we managed with just the fan a lot of the time. The shower was vigorous. Cleaning was thorough.
We felt that arrangements could have been a bit more eco-friendly: four exterior lights were on 24 hours, the fridge seemed to be set very cold, there was no separate recycling bin, the cleaners sometimes left the aircon and/or fan on when there was no-one to benefit.
And we never quite kept the place free of mosquitoes and ants.
But overall we were very pleased.
The beach is simply glorious - sandy, with a gentle entry into a warm sea. Though very busy.
There seemed to be a never-ending stream of textiles passing by - they were no trouble, but they made it less relaxing than we were expecting. Having assigned loungers was certainly a big plus - it would have been a struggle to fit everyone in without them.
It would have been even better with a no-smoking area. Other people's smoke was occasionally a nuisance.
We were impressed to notice that the resort provides beach wheelchairs for those who need them.
We were disappointed with the on-site restaurant, and only ate there twice. It was expensive, the menu was unimaginative and the vegetables were cooked to mush. One of us ordered the same dish both times but what was served seemed completely different. The service was fine, but overall it seemed overpriced for what we got.
It was great to have food and drink available to buy on-site, and the prices were pretty fair. Fresh baguettes and croissants every morning were especially fab ... though we were generally awake long before the shop opened at 08.00, and earlier would have been better.
The shop also sells merchandise and souvenirs - indeed about ⅔ of it was assigned to these pricey goods, which seemed too much to us.
This level of luxury comes at a price, of course, but - aside from the items mentioned above - it seemed reasonable value for the high level of attentive service. It was a fabulous holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Club Orient Resort is situated on the white sand beach of Orient Bay on the Island of St. Martin. We offer 137 spacious ocean front or garden bungalows. Every unit is equipped w/ a full kitchen w/ dining area, ACs, Internet access, front/back patio and more. Onsite grocery store, boutique, watersports facility, spa/fitness center, restaurant, beach bar and grill, tennis courts and more. All these conveniences are located on our property where clothing is optional. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline so you can book your Club Orient Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Orient Hotel St. Maarten/St. Martin
- Club Orient Baie Nettle
- Orient Naturist Club
- Beach Club Orient
- Hotel Orient
- Club Orient Naturist Resort