“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Stoford B&B and Inns
Guernsey
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a pleasant hotel for a night or two. They are obviously upgrading the rooms, some of which look great although we obviously had one that had not yet been upgraded and although adequate, the bathroom was pretty poor with the bath panel hanging off, poor shower and generally in a poor state of repair. Make sure you ask for one of the decent rooms!

Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and an excellent 'full English'. The evening menu had a good choice plus a couple of specials and the food was enjoyable. The staff were friendly and the service good.

The bar was pleasant and it has gardens in which to enjoy a drink in the summer although the garden next to the river is across a busy road.

All in all, a pleasant and good value place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the upgraded rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback - I am pleased you enjoyed our food so much and liked the staff. I am sorry your bath panel was hanging off - this was immediately repaired and the last couple of en suites should be upgraded by the end of next month.

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit since the previous owners left ( we were regulars) found the staff to be pleasant food was run of the mill, no specials so it was just burger and fries for me scampi for my husband! Ok food nothing out of the ordinary you would get the same at any wetherspoons! Bit over priced! I felt the pub has lost it's boutique feel that it once possessed wont be in a hurry to go back, but ok for a quick food stop.

• Stayed July 2013
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to feedback and I am sorry that you think our food is run of the mill. We do normally have specials but perhaps we had sold out - August is a particularly busy month for us with all the passing trade. We will be changing our menu in the next few weeks and I would invite you to return and try us again. Our food is locally sourced and home cooked wherever possible - our home cooked Game Pies are one of our top sellers, as is liver and bacon or the gigantic rack of ribs.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This pub/hotel is great. The room was very modern and nicely decorated. The rooms have all the extras of a 5 star hotel. Toiletries in the spotless bathroom, biscuits and flavoured teas, plus all the usual on the tea tray and a very welcoming fan in this hot weather. The breakfast was great and they are more than happy to cook want you want if you don't go for the full English.The staff are very friendly and nothing was to much trouble. There are tables outside the hotel in the garden at the side of the hotel or you can sit in the garden across the road by the river and the staff are happy to serve you there. If passing again would defiantly stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thanks for the fantastic feedback - I am delighted you thought we had 5* attributes and hope to welcome you back soon.

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was a two night KGB deal during one of the hotest parts of the year. The establishment is currently a family run business who have had the property just over 12 months. The room we had was tastefully decorated, with the added touch of a fan in the room.

The breakfast was anything off their standard breakfast menu not necessarily full English! Evening meals were reasonably priced and did not need to be booked in advance, The garden (although across the road) was lovely situated on the edge of the river.

The staff were pleasant and extremely helpful - nohing was too much trouble.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback - We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Montriond, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Working in the hotel/restaurant industry my self I find it hard to eat out without being constructive about something until the other day! My partner and I visited the Salisbury area and booked in to the Swan at Stoford. You never get a second chance to make a first impression, and the Swan did not disappoint, we were met with a smile and checked in without delay. Our room was called the gravely and did not disappoint either, the room was immaculately clean, spacious, nicely decorated and comfortable. If this wasn't good enough we were then wowed as we ate in the pub part of the hotel. Our waitress was an American girl who was absolutely delightful, smiley, polite, professional and efficient. She looked after us and brought us delicious food without delay. Overall a great experience, watch out though management as I will be back and will probably try to steel some of your fantastic staff! :) good job, see you again soon.

Room Tip: Grovely was flawless as I'm sure the rest of the rooms are
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your visit with us and look forward to welcoming you back (keep your hands off our staff though!).

Liz (Owner)
Warminster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I went to the Swan, which is fairly local for us, to meet our friends for a quiet drink and a meal. The Swan often advertises tribute acts which I assume perform there, well, lucky for us (not) that night they had a 70's style totally un PC comedian tribute act disguised as a waiter. Inappropriate and offensive jokes, 'amateur psychology', you name it we got it.. the more we tried to ignore him the more it spurred him on. It totally ruined the night. The food was OK, although my friend has since said that her salmon was cold. I would have happily brought that to the manager's attention at the time had I known, but the waiter had annoyed my friend so much she just wanted to eat and leave. Its a shame, the Swan used to be a nice pub to eat but with such unprofessional staff working there, we wont be returning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our pub. I am sorry that you found our waiter's brand of humour inappropriate. We teach our staff to be professional and customer-focused at all times and I am sorry if on this occasion a member of staff crossed the line. This is something we take very seriously and the member of staff has been dealt with as appropriate. I can only apologise for your experience and I am sorry that you don't intend to return.

peterborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Just got back from 2 Wonderful nights at The Swan with my friend we had the twin room which overlooked the road, the triple glazing helped not much noise slept well, Lovely modern clean rooms, lovely bathroom, well stocked tea, coffee etc. Fantastic people who work there, so polite and happy.The food is Amazing, both Mornings I had the Full English Breakfast, very tasty and plentiful, refills of juice and tea or coffee.I had the Rib Eye steak with Blue cheese sauce twice sooooo tasty and melted in your mouth, my friend had the Liver and Bacon and she said is was so tender and good portions too. The desserts are just as tasty too. The Swan is not far from a lot of Interesting Sites, we went to Salisbury Cathedral which is only 6 miles away, also Stonehenge is around the same distance. Also Old Sarum, The White Horse and Wilton House not too far also. we also went to Old Wardour Castle which is about 30 mins away well worth looking round, Thank you to everyone that made me and my friend very welcome. If I ever come your way again I will stay with you :-) P.S if you are a Premier Barclay Card Holder you get into all the English Heritage sites for free and guest and up to 6 children :-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Wow - great feedback! Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed your Rib Eye Steaks - and your stay in general. Great feedback about our staff. Thank you so much.

Liz - Owner

Been to The Swan at Stoford? Share your experiences!