“A hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Burcombe
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Pub, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Pub has just been purchased by Scott and his team and is currently being refurbished and returned to its rightfull place as an independent freehouse village pub. We will be reopening on the 6th of March in the evening and will be serving great ales, fabulous local food all prepared and cooked in house with main meals priced between 6 and 15 pounds, lunchtime offers and daily specials, a great atmosphere and of course happy times !! See you all soon. Scotty.
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Thanks to an A 303 jam we went " off road" and found this fabulous pub. A delightful location this thatched pub is a delight. ....a fine range of beers and a delicious menu, not cheap, but value for money. Friendly and talkative staff this is well worth the trip to enjoy a well earned break. Try the Ploughmans Lunch.... Big and bold and lots of it... Except NO PICKLED ONION!!!!!
However this is easily remedied and should not put you off visiting this fine establishment.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“lovely Easter lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

On our way back to London we stopped at the Ship after being recommended the place for good food. It was Easter Sunday and we hadn't booked but the staff were happy to find us a table. The food was top drawer and the service very helpful and friendly. We will definitely return next time we go down to Dorset.

“Gone downhill...such a shame”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I'm really sad to write this, but after years of it being a family favourite (even took the in laws to reveal our first pregnancy here 2011) it really isn't the same. We used to be blown away by a tasty, pub meal. Tonight we went with our 1 year old. Stood at the bar for a while until being acknowledged. Then, when we did, mentioned our booking, to which she replied it didn't exist and that she was confused as its not written down. Brilliant start. But apparently it was okay, as there were tables
Oh, we'll that's okay then!!! Got to our table and immediately the service was unorganised and confused. Didn't get offered the wine list, had to ask for the high chair numerous times. When we ordered, we asked questions, to which she wasn't sure. My husband noticed there was wifi and asked for the password, another woman server answered by saying, 'oh there's wifi, let me check....oh no it's private' not sure why but unhelpful nevertheless. Starter came, husbands was a plain duck starter, nothing special. I had lamb skewers. Fatty and bland, definitely not worth over £7 that we paid. Very disappointing. I was really worried about the main! Meanwhile another table were asking questions about the menu...they asked what the best thing on the menu was...'I'm not just saying it but, everything'...not only a copout but unhelpful! They asked what the sausages were...they didn't know. Main came, my steak was beautiful. I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. Beautifully cooked, great chips, HUGE portion, handy though, as my son had some! Husband's pork belly was nice, had it before. The tomatoes on the vine were raw though, could have been oven baked. They took forever to retrieve our plates and when we asked for the bill, they rushed past and said 'yes...ill get it...in a minute' which came across rude. Overall the service was awful, it's been a long time since we haven't left a tip! Food average. Won't be back again.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We used to really enjoy the food at The Ship and would visit once a twice a month. My favourite Friday night dinner was the amazing burger and chips. I do not know what happened, maybe a change of staff or suppliers, but almost overnight the food changed. I was served a raw burger one lunchtime, but returned on a Friday evening hoping that they had just had an off day. The burger was served in a soft roll which crumbled in my hands, not the toasted bun as in the past. I really hope that the manager realises that they should not change the recipe which works so well. We have not returned since.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Salisbury
“Awful Sunday lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I hesitate to give bad reviews as I never want to adversely affect local businesses, however, our experience of Sunday lunch was so awful, I feel that I have to. My husband and I and our 2 year old daughter visited The Ship on Sunday 10th February. I chose The Ship as I believed that they would serve good quality local meat which is what I would expect for £13.50 for a single course. I ordered beef and my plate came with several thin slices of topside or even silverside that was so sinewy it was very difficult to cut or chew. My husband ordered chicken which was served in a pasta bowl. It contained little more than a chicken drumstick, a few roast potatoes, a wedge of tomato and a sprig of watercress. The portion of vegetables meant for two people was only really enough for one and was so overcooked we wondered whether they were from the previous evening. We left feeling hungry, and literally, as if we had been robbed, we were so horrified at the quality of the meals. This was genuinely the worst roast lunch we have ever eaten out and we will never go back.