“Very nice view & food & people” 4 of 5 stars
Review of White Monkey - Dias Rest

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Haputale
White Monkey - Dias Rest
3 km Post, Dambetanne Road | Hillside Thotulagalla, Haputale, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Haputale
Munich, Germany
“Very nice view & food & people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

big room, hot shower, very low priced, fantastic view over the valley, be sure to ask for blankets as it gets quite cold at night. very friendly family, delicious rice & curry, perfect roti for breakfast. Oliver, a german who lives there, is very helpful and full of information.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Please make sure that you read all the reviews so you have the right expectations when you come and visit this lovely family.

The Diaz family is kind enough to open their home and welcome you more like a family member than a visitor. It is a large family and a small house so it will get busy. If you don't like to socialize or interact with other cultures and adjust to foreign customs then this is not for you.

There are currently a couple of family rooms and a cottage. We stayed in a family room and didn't get a chance to see the cottage. The rooms are very basic. There is hot water and two basic beds but the mattress is thin, the sheets are old and there is hardly any furniture. The bathroom is a toilet (western style), basin and shower that has an instant heater attached.
Again, it is very basic. It is clean and you fresh sheets and towels and a blanket if it is cold. If you need only one bed you may want to consider to put the mattress of the other bed on top of your to make it more comfortable. Even better you can bring your own sleeping bag. Why is it so simple? Think about where the White Monkey is located and how much money the family earn. It's not a simple matter to go out and buy new sheets or a new mattress. If you are looking for something even close to hotel style then this is not for you.

Food - we had breakfast and dinner. We simply loved it. Diaz is a great cook, it's great to watch him prepare the yummy dishes on the simple wood stove in the back of the house. You will get local food, Sri Lankean style, lots of rice, big portions and you get a chance to eat with the family. If you need western food, have special dietary requirements or looking for a la carte then this is not for you.

White Monkey is actually located three km outside of Haputale, not in Nuwara Eliya. You can get a train to Haputale and then a tuk tuk or bus to the 3km marker in Dambetanne. One of the key attraction is its location, at the edge of a high cliff with tea plantations and tea factories in the background. Clouds will travel up the cliff, the spot is just magic and fascinating. You can take excursions to Lipton's seat, into the tea plantations and the boys are available for tracking if you want to get adventurous, which is we really recommend you do if you come here. There are some steep steps going down to the rest house and the boys will help you with your luggage but if you need to be reasonably fit (and careful) to climb up and down else this is not for you.

I hope this gives you a bit of an idea what to expect and prepares you to a certainly degree to have a 5 star stay with the Diaz family. If it does and you do end up staying you will most likely agree with the rating.

Room Tip: See if you can get the cottage if it is available.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

A very special place to stay! If you love nature, appreciate familiy contact and accept basic rooms, it's your pick. Extraordinary location 3 km outside Haputale with superb views. Very close to many nice places such as Lipton's Seat, Adam's Peak etc. Good location for trips in the region. Rooms are basic but clean. Good hot shower. No sheets on bed, but you get fleece blankets. Preferably take along sleeping bags and warm clothes as it might get fresh at night. Great owner family: Very friendly, you're welcome as a member of the family, they help you with everything you ask and know a lot about Sri Lanka, interesting trips, roads, weather, nature etc. They really care that every guest is at ease (eg they organized us a guesthouse at the coast as the weather in Haputale stayed bad). Nice home made Sri Lankan dishes. If the weather is bad (and it can be foggy and raining), it's not a big pleasure, but if the weather is good, it's a little paradise!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Castle Donington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Okay, first of all let me explain the rating:

For me, Dias Rest rates as a '5'. Simple. I loved the location & the spectacular views, the warmth of Dias & his family, and the food.

We were a party of 6 and the rest of our group agreed with most of the above (especially about Dias and family), but felt it was too basic. Now this is a matter of taste and, perhaps, adaptability. There's no doubt that the facilities are basic, even though there are attached shower rooms.

There was also an unfortunate situation where we had booked all 3 rooms but could only have 2 because the other room was being used by guests staying extra days. Dias explained tthe reason for this and we understood, but it did mean the 4 young ones (still adults) sharing 2 beds.

To be objective, and not be emotionally carried away by the beauty of the place, it's true that improvements could be made. For example, we had to ask for blankets and towels as none were provided. Okay, just an oversight but I think you know what I mean. We also had to ask for one of the toilets to be repaired.

To many the downside would pale into insignificance when compared to the upside. For others, however, it could spoil the stay. I could put up with it all for the view from the cottage window at sunrise. Others couldn't, and wouldn't.

The cost to stay and eat at Dias Rest is, to be honest, ridiculously low - we paid 1200 Rs for each double room and i think it was 300 Rs each for a delicious Sri Lankan spread in the evening.

My only advice would be for Dias to consider upgrading the facilities slightly (more efficient showers & toilets, thicker mattresses on the beds, that sort of thing) and charging a little more for the privilege of staying. I don't personally think Dias Rest needs it, but it could attract more guests. Just a thought.

Room Tip: The cottage has particularly spectacular views.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

this guest house was an unexpected gem, the highlight of our trip. i would go back to sri lanka just to revisit this beautiful family.
the location was amazing, with stunning views through the huge bedroom windows, and easy access to the near-by sights and tea planatations. this is a very peaceful guesthouse, and great place to really interact with genuine sri lankan life.
good food, very helpfull local travel advice, but above all it is the wonderfull family that makes this place so special.
if i were going to recommend one must-do thing in srilanka, it would be staying at Dias Rest.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

We stayed with Dias and his lovely family for 3 nights at the White Monkey Guest House. We had only booked for 2 nights but enjoyed it so much that we stayed an extra night! The views from the guesthouse of the surrounding countryside are outstanding! We couldn't believe how lucky we were to find this place!
Dias will tell you about local walking routes which can be started from the guest house and they have also set Geocaches on some of these routes. Excellent home cooked Sri Lankan food. As the last reviewer mentioned, I couldn't believe how little the bill was when we came to leave. We were truly made to feel welcomed and nothing was too much trouble. Dias's children are extremely polite, mature and very willing to help you with any questions about the local area.
The family room we stayed in was basic, but clean and had everything we needed. I would recommend bringing a jumper for the evenings as it does get cold up there! Even the walk down to the guest house from the road was an experience to remember. If you want an authentic slice of the Hill Country you must visit Dias and his family! Enjoy!
Check out their website www.diasrest/haputale.de

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Preston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

Dias Rest: ---

Clinging to a steep mountainside 3km outside the hill town of Haputale, Dias Rest (AKA the White Monkey Guest House) is maybe not the most accessible of places but it is an ideal base for the independent traveller and for anyone who really wants to get away from it all, this has become my favourite Rest House in Sri Lanka and if I had a book to write I would write it here.

Due to a derailment I arrived at the Guesthouse quite late but I had telephoned ahead and Dias was waiting with the warmest of welcomes and a good dinner. Because I arrived in the dark I was totally unprepared for the sight that hit me when I emerged from my room on that first morning, I like my superlatives but I was honestly lost for words to describe the views from this place.

There is a cottage with two double beds and a lived-in feel to it, I preferred the simply furnished family rooms (also two double beds) all have bathrooms with shower and toilet. It is incredible value for money, I questioned the bill because I thought Dias had simply not charged me enough.

Its not the Ritz and the mountainside position makes access difficult for anyone with heavy luggage or mobility problems but I cannot speak highly enough about this place.

If you are travelling light the walk from Haputale is worth the effort, otherwise a three wheeler from the town will cost around Rs 200.

Unique Qualities: You will feel like a friend of the family rather than a customer, Dias will make sure you have everything you need without getting under your feet, if you want it just ask.

The views all around are second to none and the cool mountain air comes as a blessed relief from the heat of the lowlands, my one regret is that I was only able to spend two nights here, this is a real gem of a place and I will be back.

The best information resource on this area is an excellent website --- by a German guy named Oliver, check it out.

Been to White Monkey - Dias Rest? Share your experiences!