“Fun friendly and natural” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pulau Tiga Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Manukan
Pulau Tiga Resort
You added Pulau Tiga Resort to your Saves list
Pulau Tiga, Pulau Manukan, Malaysia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pulau Manukan
lancs England
“Fun friendly and natural”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at Pulau Tiga in June for 3 days, had the best time ever. ok accomadation is by no means luxury, but it is more than adequate, with air con, and fridge etc.
Mud volcano was hilarious, jungle trecks fun, and the wildlife just lovely, the bats roosting under the eaves of our bungalow actualy posed for pictures, the butterflies, hornbills,huge monitors and monkeys where all such a pleasure to observe, the whole experience was relaxing,and memorable. Food was ok, we are vegeterians so always find food choice limited, but the chef came to find us each day to ask us what we would like for dinner, so all in all we were very pleased.
The manager Mark was great fun, had us on kareoke till 1am (that's a first for me )
staff could not have been nicer.
The beach was not pristene, but the litter was of the natural variety, driftwood, seaweed etc, not rubbish. This is not the Maldives, but it is not Maldive prices either.
Here you can just let your hair down and chill, I really hope to return sometime soon, value for money, and the best staff ever, Thanks to Mark and all his staff team.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed in this 'resort' for a night (2nd - 3rd of November 2012) and we barely survived the ordeal. Being a seasoned traveler to Sabah's many beautiful islands and excellent beaches, our experience here came as a very unfortunate surprise. (considering the fact that beach standards are generally good in Sabah and considering the publicity this place had received)

After a promising 30 min boat ride, we arrived at the resort jetty. We were welcomed by countless numbers of bottles, plastic bags and waste floating on the sea... something that I have very rarely seen in Borneo. We were immediately shocked by the state of the beach. All sorts of rubbish and debris strewn across several kilometers of beach (includes bleach bottles, syringes, and glass bottles) ... we walked the entire length of the island's east coast and could not identify a single clean spot to swim. We even saw a dead turtle washed ashore! There was no sign of any tourist or holiday makers enjoying the beach given the state of this place... just loads of monkeys and monitor lizards walking around the beach, scavenging on the waste!

But what disappoints us and angers us most is the APATHY that pervades in this place... There was no staff to welcome us and guide us to the reception at the jetty... the welcome was somewhat lethargic... We had a sense throughout the trip that the staff would rather not have any guests. Worse of all, we felt that everyone on the island was on a holiday except us!! The meals were not served on time and are way below the standards we expected for the amount we paid, the amenities such as a pathetic ping pong table appeared vandalized and monopolized by the staff themselves, who were playing it most of the time!! The rooms were squalid... dirty, dilapidated, and infested with bed bugs.. its affects of which we are still suffering from... I could smell monkey or rat urine in the room... and the basic things one would expect such as soap for bathing was absent!!

We were so appalled by the state of the resort that my wife confronted the resort manager about the state of cleanliness of the entire area. The reply was the usual tirade of excuses... insufficient staffing, the rainy season bringing rubbish to the beach, and a long blame game about who was responsible for the state of the beaches . We then took matters into our hands and started cleaning the beach to show to them that instead of lazing around (there were many staff sitting around lazily, playing games, chatting and using the resort amenities), something could be done. We cleaned a segment of the beach to show them the contrast and invited the staff to join us... only one came and the rest walked by... laughed at us... and continued on their perpetual holiday on the island!!! When I asked for a rake from the staff so that I can do the cleaning, she didn't even know where it was!!!

My advice to anyone and everyone who has heard of this place... STAY CLEAR OF IT... Sabah has many excellent islands and beaches. You don't need to suffer on your holiday for the sake of keeping the staff of this resort on their perpetual vacation. You don't need to suffer from a debilitating itch all over your body due to the state of cleanliness in this place. PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THIS PLACE.

For those who don't believe this review, please view some of the pictures we took to proof our point. I cannot see how anyone could rate them anything better then poor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sabah,Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Had negative thoughts about this place after reading most recent reviews BUT was very surprised that the place was not as bad as I thought it would be. Perhaps a few things were rectified before our arrival on Sept 11 2012. I suppose the seismic activity is not too active at the volcanic mud pool because we saw few bubbles and mud temperature was actually cooler than I imagined. But it was a fun spot to get a mud bath! Needs more diligent maintenance by the caretaker (Sabah Parks) though.
I cannot agree that the beach was dirty but there were dead seaweeds floating in. My buddies had a good time snorkelling whilst some of us preferred the gentle cool breeze on hammocks by the beach.
Food was plentiful but better do the barbie to your own preference, otherwise you might get chewy meat to test your jaw and teeth!
Hardly had any time to watch TV so it was not missed. The karaoke selection did have too many Tagalog songs and no local songs but they were very accommodating.
Overall we had a good time at this place and most had wished that we could stay another night... Perhaps another time?

Room Tip: Manta Ray rooms are huge!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The good news is that the place was empty, so we had the whole island for ourselves and 4 other guests. This is the first Survivor location, the beach is nice but dirty and it is quite boring. There is nothing to do. They boast about some mud volcano, which is just a dirty muddy spot. The resort is old and the rooms are not well taken care of. The staff lazes around doing nothing all day and being apathetic. Instead they could clean the beach. It is sad that right in front of the hotel there is trash on the beach. One of their attraction is snake island. They tell you there are lots of snakes. We saw one, under a rock. Obviously the snakes do not come out at day, but they dont tell you that. It is an all inclusive resort, so the food is included. The food is buffet style and it is horrible. We paid 500 USD for 2 nights, including a 2 hour van drive from KK and a 30 minute boat ride. I guess the real price should be half of that. They make a pretty good profit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
KL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Just had a company trip at Pulau Tiga Resort on 24-25/06/12. My hubby & I get room 54, the conditions are very terrible!! First impression... no TV, look like more then 20 years old building, the nausea things is when we open the water pipe, water come out are very dirty (black in colour)...

The most horrible things is the bed actually have fleas (跳蚤).... Hubby & I also bitten by the fleas, but my hubby most serious, got 70 wound (red spot)... very itchy (很癢)....

Can imaging the itchy feeling from 25/06/12 until today.... still haven't recover.....!!!?? So suffering & excruciation!!

Not only both of us bitten by fleas, there are most of my colleague also.....

DON'T GO, OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Nabawan, Sabah, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I am here right now and I'm not loving it. It's an expensive place to come to visit but everything that is provided feels cheap. There are no toiletries in the bathroom and the chairs both in the room and on the balcony are plastic. Also, the bathroom was filthy, the toilet has mold growing on it and some of the tiles are broken and have been for a long time and I didn't go for the cheapest room at 1700RM (approx 350GBP) for 2 people for 3 nights. I live and work in Sabah so this was a lot of money for me to pay.
In addition, you only get 1 bottle of mineral water on arrival and then you have to drink from the cooler in the restaurant but that water is purified and, to me, has an odd, slightly salty taste. There is rubbish in the grounds and the staff have a slightly bored aire about them however, this dosen't appear to make them overly helpful or to get things right without being asked.
The drinks are very expensive both alcoholic and carbonated but as other drinks are "included" this shouldn't be a problem but sadly it is because what they don't tell you is that the included drinks only cover tea, instant coffee and water, it appears that juice hasn't reached this island yet even for breakfast. Alcoholic drinks here are more expensive than in the Hyatt 5 star hotel in KK. I understand that they have to make a profit but when it's 500% I do feel that I am being taken advantage of the same goes for beer a small tin of Tiger is 10RM which is 2.5 times more than you would pay in a shop/local retaurant and about 1RM more than in a hotel in KK. Also to hire snorkelling equipment is 60RM - again I don't mind paying a reasonable amount but this, to my mind, is extreme.
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone as I say what is provided is cheap and what is extra is very expensive! All in all very disappointing.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Ive visited pulua Tiga resort a couple of times and I will be going back. it is kind of pricy but i think its worth it.

The major draw for me is the peace and tranqulity - there is only this one resort on this part of the island. the beach is long and sandy which means plenty of space. You can walk 10 mins and you will have the beach to yourself. There are marked trails all over the island great for jungle treking - some of them arent maintained that well but that just adds to the adventure - we did a 4 hour walk saw monitor lizards, monkeys all sorts of plantlife. The jungle is pristine - and rarely visited by many people staying at the resort. If thats not your thing then there a plenty of hammocks where you can kick back and read a book. The accommodation is good - nothing flashy but the chalets have plenty of space, good verandas overlooking well tended gardens - go for one with a sea view. The bathrooms and showers could do with a make over but apart from that comfortable enough. The food is good - Im a veggie and there was plenty of variety and as much as you can eat - they used to serve cakes for desert but only had fruit when we were there last - come on guys bring back the cakes! The staff are really friendly. I have visited a lot of the islands in Sabah and this is my favourite - purely because of the space and isolation. The snorkling is not very good -not any coral near the coast but the beach is lovely. I will be back!

Room Tip: go for one with a sea view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pulau Tiga Resort? Share your experiences!