“Snorkelling Heaven” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Living Colours Dive Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bunaken Island
Living Colours Dive Resort
Pangalisang Beach, Bunaken Island S-36220, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Bunaken Island
Singapore
“Snorkelling Heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at Living Colours Dive Resort in December. It is a Finnish run dive resort and very efficiently run. Although I am a certified diver, I prefer snorkelling and that was my sole purpose there.

Annika, Mia and all the staff that worked there were super friendly and helpful. I love how small and intimate this place was. Nice added touches in the room with mosquito repellent and flashlight for the night! The house reef especially near the coral reef wall was truly spectacular, the corals and the fish were AMAZING! I have snorkelled in the Great Barrier Reef, Malaysia and Thailand and Bunaken knocked my socks off. You don't really need to take diving trips with the boat to go snorkelling, house reef is more than enough. FYI the house reef is about 150 metres from the beach, so you need to do a little bit of swimming to get there, but totally worth it.

When I wasn't snorkelling I was on my veranda, in my lovely hammock reading :0) FYI there are some creepy crawly creatures, some of which might get inside your cabin.

The food was super tasty! I have never had Indonesian food and looked forward to every meal. There was vegetables, fish, chicken and soy products. Very spicy and flavourful! Compliments to the chef.

I love this place and would recommend it, especially for divers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Living Colours is as good as people here on TripAdvisor say. The diving sites, the professional yet relaxed personnel, the meals and the nature are all top class. To summarize: I had never dived before, and now - after OWD and some dives at Bunaken plus many discussions with experienced divers - I don't think there can be much better places for diving than this!

To make this review more helpful - here are some things that I would have found useful when coming to Living Colours:

1. There’s nothing to buy. Make sure you bring your own shampoo, chocolate snacks, sun lotion or whatever you need, because this is an island with only three small villages and not really anything to buy.
2 Water. There are water dispensers in each bungalow and on the boats, so there’s no point in carrying your own water. An empty water bottle is handy, however, if you go for a walk and need water with you.
3 Alcohol. As I mentioned, there are soft drinks, beer and some liquors available, but if champagne, wine or Salmiakkikossu is an essential part of your holiday routine, you better bring your own.
4. Clothing. I always make the same mistake: coming from freezing Finland, I forget that sometimes even shorts and t-shirts are too much. Especially on the diving boat all you need is a bikini and a simple cloth to protect you from the sun. Luckily the village women sold sarongs - that’s enough for most of the days. One day it rained so much, that the temperature dropped a bit more. Then I was happy that I had my mohair shirt with me. Oh, and a raincoat might also prove useful. When it rains, it RAINS.
5. Humidity. I learned that if you want to get your clothes dry, you should take them inside after 4 pm, because that’s when the humidity of the night starts crawling in. This in combination with the occasional showers makes it really hard to get your clothes or shoes dry, so I prefer thin fabrics and flipflops.

For photos under and above the sea level and some other thoughts (partly in Finnish), pls see my travel blog: http://alannainen.blogspot.sg/2012/12/living-in-living-colours.html

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I finished my OWD at Living Colours and now that I dived on some other spots and with some other schools I'm even more convinced that this really is an awesome team. I say "finished" as I started the course in Berlin, but never finished due to a fight between me and the dive school owner.
Jarkko, the owner of Living Colours gave me some free beer, we talked it over and he showed full understanding for the situation, and gave me an amazing discount for the things I had done already. Doing the Open Water with his team was really a pleasure. His instructors Al and Annika were supernice and funny but also very professional. We went to the most awesome dive spots, Bunaken is really a heaven for diving. Dont miss the big coral wall, an incredible experience for any diver.
Doing that with Living Colours is a guarantee that you are with fun people who love diving themselves. For their professionalism and very good equipment you pay a bit more than for their opponents but its totally worth it

I did not sleep at Diving Colours

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

We came to Living Colours for the second time (first time we were here in 2008, with a 2-years-old kid) - and the place was as good as before. Diving was good, the staff was kind and helpful, food was tasty, and bungalow was comfortable. All together the experience was worth every penny (rupee) we spent there.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We have been on Bunaken island and at Living colours of Bunaken 3 times during the years 2010- 2012. We have got excellant service - I made my divemaster degree there and got world class teachng as over 50 years old man !.
Even our children have made their owd and aowd - diving courses at Living colours --

Living colours is exellant place for those who have got enought of package tours and want to have something just for themselves , for persons and couple who want just enjoy of diving in the world class waters.
And we are going there for our holiday even in June/July 2013 :)

One older man who is in love with LCB!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We went to Living Colour resort to book a room with 4 other people and we have been told it was full.
We could feel that we were not really welcomed and the person who finally dare talking to us told us before it was full that his resort was the best and the other diver centre (except two fishes) were not recommendable.
How surprised we were the next day when we found out that the hotel was not even half full but maybe they were too lazy to get us in, or scared we eat some of the pigs they were cooking at the time we came on the beach.
I do not recommend to go to this hotel where one of the senior person lies to customer. Which I don't really understand when you are ready to pay 50euros per person for one room.. (the most expensive in Bunaken)

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I live in Indonesia and over the past 20 years have had maybe 15 dive holidays in & around Bunaken Marine Park, including staying at a half-dozen or more places on Bunaken itself. The key criteria are: location, rooms, food, boat design, equipment quality, professional dive staff. Living Colours is the one I'll be returning to.

LC is located on the NE side of the island (not facing Manado). They have a small beach protected by a clean mangrove forest. They are a 15-minute ride from most all dive sites, and the house reef in front is outstanding for snorkeling. The rooms are individual bungalows built up on the hillside -- a bit of a hike, but they capture the breeze. They have well-designed bathrooms with hot-water showers, and the bedrooms have mosquito nets and fans. They have 24-hour electricity (many don't). All meals are included in the room price, and they are the best I've found on the island. The menu is varied & well-cooked, they have a non-fish main every lunch and dinner, and vegetables aren't cooked to death. The beer fridges are cold.

Two of the dive boats are modified traditional local designs, and were very comfortable for 6 divers. There is plenty of room for people and equipment, and self-serve water, tea, coffee, fruit and cookies/biscuits are standard. There is one modern fiberglass dive boat which looked comfortable. Each boat is equiped with three outboard motors, and they were all in excellent working order. Equipment is washed daily and maintenance is regular -- two in my party rented the full equipment package and everything worked exactly as it was supposed to. Boat and dive staff were all excellent, and all were well-equipped including computers. More importantly, it was clear they all liked working there.

Room for improvement? Always :) Like all of Bunaken, they get their share of plastic trash washing up on the beach -- daily pick up would be nice. It would also be nice to have an option for an early morning dive -- boats leave at 0830, which means you're usually not in the water till around 0900.

Overall, excellent quality and very good value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Living Colours Dive Resort? Share your experiences!