“Not Friendly and Average Food” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Connecticut
“Not Friendly and Average Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Service, food quality, location, and decor are the ingredients that make for an excellent restaurant and dining experience. Unfortunately, on this night, La Maree fell short in three of the categories. Service was very poor. The waitress assigned to our table was surly and unresponsive. My wife and I tried to use as much French as we could (we do not speak French but can understand most items on menus and can pronounce words correctly and can make basic conversation). When I inquired what the fish of the day was (in French), the waitress responded with a rapid sentence. When I said that I did not understand (again in French), she simply shrugged and stared at me. The food quality this evening was just average (not "good", "very good", or even close to "excellent"). Oysters (our appetizer/entree) were admittedly very good but the plate (main course) that we both had (Fish of the Day) was slightly "fishy “and served in a bland way over a bed of mashed potatoes (no vegetable at all). On the large plate that it came on it looked rather "lost". The Crème Brule’s torched sugar crust had been "over torched" and appeared and tasted burnt. The location of the restaurant (on the harbor) is very good but the restaurant faces west and the setting sun (we ate at 8:00 PM) made the interior very warm and glaring (we were offered a table by the window but instead chose an interior table). It was a hot night by Normandy standards (~28 C) and that did contribute to the warmth in the restaurant (AC was not being used). Other diners that came in after us took the window tables and seemed bathed in sunlight for their entire meal (we were warm at our table; not sure how they felt). The interior decor of the restaurant is fine and the chairs comfortable and the tables large so that there is room for anything that you might order. Overall, when we compare this restaurant to the others that we have enjoyed (and reviewed) in our month long holiday in France it falls close to the bottom of the list. We would not return.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Australia
“Good food- service a little indifferent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Had the menu-2 courses for €16 and all very tasty. But the service was a little sloppy and indifferent. Great location though.

Visited May 2012
Vicenza, Italy
“Best Scallops I've ever eaten!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by the Count at Chateau de Colombieres--and we liked it so much that we went back a second night! The 3 course 27Euro dinner was fantastic--a choice of seafood, fish, or meat, and the scallops were the best I've ever had (and I'm not really a scallop lover, but when my husband enthused over his bacon-wrapped scallops, I just had to try them!) My oysters were so fresh that I'm sure they were just harvested hours before. The restaurant is right on the harbor of a quaint little town, and I agree with another reviewer that it is probably a "locals" place during the off-season. The staff was friendly, the decor was inviting, and I would have eaten there again if it were possible....next time....The highlight of the dinner was an elderly French couple (not older than 70!) who came over to us and told us how much they appreciated Americans..they thanked us for what "we" had done to liberate their country...It was the highlight of the whole trip...a very "Normandy" experience...

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ghent, Belgium
“The "plateau de fruits de mer" is unbeatable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Conveniently located between Sainte Marie Eglise and Omaha beach we ( the six of us) gave this place our congratulations for offering the perfect light lunch on a tourist tour.
We asked to start with two two persons platters with oysters , crab, shrimps and so on for the six of us, keeping in reserve the option to order one more if needed. The 60EUR 2 persons platter revealed eventually to be more than enough for three , with a bottle of wine at 18 EUR, I think it will be very difficult to find better .
We went there in the low season , but as it is a bit out of the tourist centers , it is vosited mostly by locals , who obviously now the fresh quality of the seafood on the menu

• Visited March 2012