“I saw the Hippos” 4 of 5 stars

Phoenix, Arizona
21 attraction reviews
“I saw the Hippos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed at the Haile Resort. I needed a break from the hustle of Ethiopia and was yearning for a long hot shower. The hippos live in a small water grass area just North of the Haile resort. I went at about 9:30 am and there were 7 or 8 Hippos grazing. The boat is rented for set amount (long tour 800 birr-shorter tours are less). If you are one or 5 people the amount is the same. The driver circled the hippo's area, keeping maybe 30 yards away. he said they swim very fast and will attack the boat. They, like any wild animal, will protect their territory and young. The tour continued around the lake pointing out the fish market, etc. A very pleasant, though not very long adventure.

Visited May 2013

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
25 attraction reviews
“no hippo”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have been to Lake Awassa several times, I have been sailing on the lake using thier boat/ it is still in my face book cover page....but the funny part is I have never seen a hippo, I don't trust the guys who posted here..... The Mian reason of boat ride in Awassa is to say " I was on a Lake" that is the smallest in Ethiopia Shabbiest and incomparable with the rift valley lakes like Ziway, Chamo,Abayata, in which you see the hippos, bird life, crocodile even without sailing.

Visited May 2013