“Establo San Rafael B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Establo San Rafael

You added Establo San Rafael to your Saves list
Establo San Rafael
San Rafael Floralia Frente al Mirador del Rio, Santiago de Puriscal, Costa Rica   |
“Establo San Rafael B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I absolutely love every time I come to stay at the Establo san Rafael B&B. Brenda and her partner Abel are some of the nicest people you will ever meet, and the combination of immersion in the lush hills of Costa Rica along with the amazing cooking and the opportunities to see horses frolic in the ring below make Establo B&B a place impossible not to have an amazing time at.

Room Tip: any room you can choose is a good room, but I would advise taking one of the cabinas, due to their m...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Great place, beautiful surrounding, cute cabinas, good fresh food, nice horses (!), really nice people who gives you the feeling that you're a part of the family, a place where you can really relax and forget everything but also a place where you can be active as you like. For me it felt as a little paradise!

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I had a wonderful stay at Establo San Rafael with Brenda and her partner Abel. They are excellent hosts and the food was plentiful, fresh and delicious. As a guest at the farm you can completely make yourself at home, swinging in a hammock on the porch, looking out over the ring where the horses love to play and at the surrounding mountains bathed in sunshine is utter bliss. The horses (and all of the other animals) are extremely well looked after and very well loved. For me this trip was a perfect opportunity to relax in a horsey atmosphere, learn about natural horsemanship (in which I was a total beginner so don't be afraid to give it a go even if you never have before!) and to get to experience the real 'Tico' lifestyle. Tourism has not really hit Puriscal, the nearest town, and riding around the surrounding villages is a fabulous experience of authentic Costa Rican countryside. I could not recommend Establo San Rafael highly enough for a horsey retreat for any animal lover!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

i am so glad that i found brenda`s place, the place is great, the food, the rooms, and best: is like be in home!!!!

I used to visit new places and people make the difference, and here i found that places where you feel like home!

Every time i need to visit the area, I am sure i will be there!!!

gracias!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Duisburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

After contacting Brenda by wwoof she proved to be the most reliable in the community I wrote to. I stayed two weeks at Establo San Rafael when travelling through Central America last year. For I was not used to living on a farm I thought about my stay there as an adventure. Sleeping in this lovely cabin I had to get used to all these bugs around. Equipped in a toilet, shower and a sink plus a lot of adorable details you are able to see the personal touch of the family. Talking about family when spending time with the family I felt a lot like a good friend, even a member. After all I never thought about connected so closely to this family as I felt afterwards. Brenda taught me in horsemanship which effected - well I don’t want to exaggerate, but –somehow of a wonder J: at the beginning I was pretty afraid of horses and couldn’t manage to bring all horses in their stables -at the end we were riding on horseback through the country. I become really a lot of self-confident in natural horsemanship.

Time was over and I had to go ahead and I was really sad to leave the farm, the animals, the environment and the ambience … etc. But the most I was sad about was to leave the friendly, warm and helpful family as well as all the people around who made my stay there to an unforgettable story of my life …. Not just an adventure

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My daughter (age 13) and her friend (age 12) and I spent nine days with the good folks of Establo San Rafael, their visiting natural horsemanship instructors, horses and guides. The two girls were thrilled, especially when their week culminated riding their horses bareback on the beach, and playing in the waves. I learned so much, and returned from my holiday rested and refreshed in every possible way.

The highlight for me was learning from 3* Parelli Natural Horsemanship instructor Susan Nelson, and 4* Maurice Thiebault. I had enjoyed their instruction before in other locations, but they were equally generous with their time and talent in the beautiful setting of Costa Rica.

The trip fulfilled my expectations. There were parts that were rough, as expected, and parts that were more luxurious, also as planned. Our final hotel on the beach was a bit of a disappointment, especially when the other guests on our tour stayed in a nicer hotel, but nothing could really mar the lovely week we had.

Room Tip: We moved around, so it's hard to make specific suggestions. However, if you have any wishes, or...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Exeter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've been these stables twice now (just for the day), the first time trailing with family and friends and the second time on my own for instruction. I can say Brenda and her team were excellent on both occasions, demonstrating a flexible approach to make sure that everyone was well looked after, comfortable and had a great time. The horses were in excellent condition, and seemed to be part of the family. I shall certainly be returning whenever I'm in Costa Rica for more instruction in natural horsemanship from Brenda, I enjoyed it so much.
I can't comment on the rooms as I only went for the day, but if you love horses and fantastic scenery then look no further.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Establo San Rafael? Share your experiences!